Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Financial help for next year?

Options
  • 02-09-2011 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Why is it so difficult to get myself an education???

Long story short-Leaving Cert-UCD Arts-dropped out after a year(got the full grant)-took a year out-did 2 years in Cavan Institute(got BTEA for both years, got my Level 5 and 6 qualification.)

I'm 22, I'll be 23 in October. I applied for Social Science in UCD-got it! :D But had to defer as the fees were costing approx. €6,000. I didn't apply for a grant a)because I already got it at Level 8 and b) BTEA is more generous and realistic.

But then someone told me that I could have applied for the grant anyway and I could've had my fees paid for? Is this true? I keep thinking that I'm on the ball with information about my situation, but it can get so confusing!! So I've deferred now, moving to Dublin, hoping to get a job and raise €6,000 for next year (very unlikely.)

I really just can't face taking another year out next year too, I don't even know if I'll be eligible for BTEA again next year? Nobody seems to be able to give me clear information, e.g (No, you can't get a grant vs. Yes, you can get a grant!) I'm getting really fed up. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I just want to do Social Science in UCD and be able to afford it. GAAAAAAAAAAAH.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

if you got the grant in 1st year arts then it's unlikely that you would get it for 1st year social science

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

Hi Mango,
    Would it make any difference that he got the grant for the level 8 course and now hes doing a level 7 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sean_Paul

The trouble with all these fees/maintenace grant business is that no one tells you basically got one shot, so go for it and no messing about.

I went to England last year to do a degree and had to drop out after 3 months when I was told I wasn't getting the full grant because my single mother was earning too much. I'm hoping to go back to College here next year but I've been told that I'll have to pay the full fees and get no grant, even though I payed for the tuition fee in England and generously handed back the maintenance cheque to my County Council. So much for helping yourself and being honest!

Anywas Apple I share your frustration but the best thing is to go to the VEC or County Council and talk to them in person. Getting them over the phone will be a rushed job and leave you even more confused. However It does seem they wont help you out with anything until you've had at least a five year break

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭tweedledee

You wont get any assistance from Gov if you aint progressing,ie: level 7 to level 8.You are regressing level 8 back to level 7 so you wont get funding.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 41 AppleTartFace

Oh I'm not regressing..! I've done level 5, 6, applied (and deferred)for level 8. I'm not doing a level 7 at all, you see. Thanks guys, I kind of knew all this already, but I just thought I'd ask anyways through this forum, because sometimes it's easier to get help from someone who's been through the same thing. For instance, I went to my local Citizens Information, told the lady my whole story, and all she was able to tell me was that I wouldn't get a grant, which I knew already, but I was hoping she's be able to offer some alternative or give me information as to who to talk to.....anyways. God, it's not easy!! I'm going to talk to someone at UCD when I get settled in Dublin, maybe they'll be able to defer my place to the second year of the course, that might help? Arggh.

Thanks again. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

my understanding is that you only have to pay your first year fee if you dropped out after Christmas of first year of the original course. You would be entitled to second and third year free fees in any case.

Not sure about the grant. Seems to vary a huge amount. Good luck with it and let us know if you find out anything definitive :)

Advertisement