Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycle lane

• 02-09-2011 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

Where there is a cycle lane Please stay in it,. If you had a car you'd know how frustrating it is being held up at 40kmph by cyclists to ignorant to pull over and let you pass,. Its not that hard to do.

Thanks very much, :\

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

A lot of cycle lanes were not designed in the best interest of cyclists, often approaching junctions dangerously or merging suddenly with traffic, not to mention they often mean sacrificing right of way, have signs or other objects placed in them, often cars are parked in them, etc.

A lot of us do have cars and wait behind the cyclist until there is a gap to overtake, it's not a massive inconvenience - there's lots of examples and pictures of poor cycle lanes if you search through the forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I do have a car.

Where are you off to in such a hurry anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

(pulls up seat and takes beer out of fridge.......)

OK fire ahead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Can we put this one on hold for next Friday ? It's getting late now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

mcgarry098 wrote: »
    Where there is a cycle lane Please stay in it,. If you had a car you'd know how frustrating it is being held up at 40kmph by cyclists to ignorant to pull over and let you pass,. Its not that hard to do.

If the guy's holding a steady 40kmph, you'd do well to wait patiently behind him. He's pretty bloody fit and while skinny will probably pull your arms off like a daddylonglegs.

Seriously though, get some patience, and then search the forum for "cycle lanes" or somesuch. You'll find the same whinge has been had many times before.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

Of course.

Wait, I think I see what you're doing now.

This thread in After Hours:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056376052

used to contain this post (found by searching your previous posts, not sure why I can't click on it - have you deleted it?).

173039.jpg

Are you cross-forum Trolling and stupid enough to boast about it?

Hmmmm....

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,302 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Cycling home tonight the traffic on one stretch heading into Lusk was doing a steady 35kph, and not one of them moved over to let me past. I actually had to cross the central line (when there was nothing coming in the other direction and it was safe to do so, of course) to get back up to my steady 40kph - bloody inconsiderate motorists possibly deprived me of a new work to home record

(and -Chris-, as you are all too well aware, I'm not skinny!)

Beasty wrote: »
    (and -Chris-, as you are all too well aware, I'm not skinny!)

Compared to who? You looked pretty aerodynamic to me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭mcgarry098

http://www.greenway.ie/Visitor-Croagh-01.html

Thats our cycle lane so no excuse. Brand new.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,302 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just tried the search that -Chris- did and got exactly the same result....

... so mcgarry098, is this a serious attempt at trolling the cycling forum? If so it has the potential to make you an object of ridicule when we report back to AH:D

im not man enough to take on the mods on the cycling forum,, plus its been done to much before ;) this is legit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭McWotever

Do you think it's safe to use a shared cycle/footpath travelling at 40KPH. Especially seeing as pedestrians like to walk on the different coloured path!

Anyway, speed limit in most of the city boundrys is 50KPH, so will that 10 really make that much difference???

where im on about you dont get anyone walking really, and the speed limit is mostly 100 cause its a national road i think, or secondary. either way its a good road with a 2 or 3 metre cycle lane most of the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

where im on about you dont get anyone walking really, and the speed limit is mostly 100 cause its a national road i think, or secondary. either way its a good road with a 2 or 3 metre cycle lane most of the way.

If there is a 100k limit why isnt there a hard shoulder?

cause its mayo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

its really not on to post a Friday thread with only about 1 hour left in a Friday, and all the lads are lamped... chicken.

Seriously though? Also is this an on road cycle lane? And how many of them are there? If there was one of them was it on the left or the right relative to direction of travel and what time of day was this?

3 mins to go. how about if cars stay off the cycle tracks then and only then will cyclists pay road tax:pac:
    sorry, beer to blame

• Advertisement

part of it is on road marked by a yellow line and pictures then part is arked by poles separating it from the road! one lane does both sides of the road but you dont really meet any other cyclists most of the time. 12.. BOOM GO ON THE KEN MC :D

sorry sir your pumpkin awaits

So many questions I'd like to ask, but the bewitching hour is upon us. Unfortunately this only gets 1.8 out of 10 for a Friday thread:o

Seriously though? Also is this an on road cycle lane? And how many of them are there? If there was one of them was it on the left or the right relative to direction of travel and what time of day was this?

My questions still stand. And one lane cant do both sides of the road.

so does my answer

My questions still stand
    they'll have to wait till next week...

oh you mean cyclists just the one going with the traffic

oh you mean cyclists just the one going with the traffic

So are you trying not to tell us that the cycle lane does not go with the traffic? Are you trying to avoid telling us that the cycle lane is on the wrong side of the road? And again what time of the day was this?

sorry mister minister of the spanish court of inquisition, i humbly apologise... :P i am telling you there is for most part only one cycle lane which caters for both sides of the road. Roads are bendy and not wide enough for two. as i already said it was at 12.

P.s. I also apologise for you being a D*&k

• Advertisement

Thats quite alright apology accepted. So do you want lessons on the whole left versus right thing? Or will I try to rephrase the question? If the cyclist was on the same side of the road as you what side was the cycle lane on?

Was the cycle lane on the same side of the road as you or was it on the other side?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭clonmahon

http://www.greenway.ie/Visitor-Croagh-01.html

Thats our cycle lane so no excuse. Brand new.

The problem with the Great Western Greenway, is that it is an obstacle course for cyclists. Kissing gates, cattle grids, hump backed bridges, humped back ridges, 90 degree turns, two gates that have to be opened and closed and pedestrians. It is fine for the casual cyclist, but if I lived in the area I would not use it to commute. It is not suitable for fully loaded touring bikes. It is a very bad surface for road bikes as it is not a paved surface but some kind of fine packed gravel. It is totally unsuitable for the road racing crowd to train on.

It took me the whole day to cycle it from Westport to Achill and back, about 50 miles, as there are no long unobstructed stretches and you have to keep slowing down to 1 or 2 mph to navigate the above mentioned obstacles, a total loss of momentum. Also outside Westport there was a tractor and slurry tanker parked on it.

As I say it’s fine for the casual cyclist, but it is not as claimed a “world class cycleway”. I’ve seen French and Dutch cycleways, two lane paved surfaces, without kissing gates or any kind of obstacle, or pedestrians, like a road only for bikes. Why do we do everything in Ireland in a half arsed way and then declare that it is world class.

So mcgarry098 if you find the odd cyclist an obstacle to your driving think about what it would be like if you had kissing gates and other such obstacles (as on the Greenway) on the roads you drive and consider yourself lucky. It takes a lot of energy to get a bike up to 40 kph, if a cyclist keeps pulling over every time a car comes behind them they will loose a lot of energy and won’t get very far before exhaustion sets in. Momentum is essential to a cyclist trying to cover the ground quickly, unlike you in your car if they are forced to slow down they cannot get back up to 40 kph by simply flexing their right ankle. So maybe give yourself a few extra minutes to complete your journey, because contrary to what you believe it “is that hard to do” literally.

What road are you talking about, and what section?

monument wrote: »
    What road are you talking about, and what section?

I suspect its not the greenway. I have heard rumours of some kind of county council idiocy on the Louisburgh road out of Westport but I cant remember the details.

It would appear that the OP is a learner or possibly recently qualified driver.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71662246

Not sure if that makes it better or worse?

It would appear that the OP is a learner or possibly recently qualified driver.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71662246

Not sure if that makes it better or worse?
    Well if a learner without a qualified driver in the passenger seat the OP loses all credibility (although I think that went when they admitted to driving unaccompanied on a provisional licence)

If recently qualified, maybe with a bit more experience the OP will perhaps not let the frustration get the better of him/her, and have a little more patience with other road users;)

• Advertisement

Writes 100 lines

"I must be nice to learner drivers"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

The OP is probably still unable to control his car effectively so Cyclists frighten and confuse him. Don't worry about it buddy, we all had to start sometime. Google "how to overtake safely" and you should be ok.

the westport to louisburgh section!

the westport to louisburgh section!

There's two sections there I've seen before and I've mapped them out here.

One is a gravel path on the east end of West Road -- I'm nearly sure at one point I seen it marked with a cycle lane sign -- I remember because I busted into laughter much to the confusion of the others in the car. It's a small walking track and unusable for cycling at say 15km/h never mind anywhere near 40km/h. Other than polls with nothing on them, I can't now see any sign of a cycle lane sign now on Google Street.

The other section is from the intersection with Coast Road and West Road towards Louisburgh for about 3.5km (or 5mins at 40km/h). It's a hard shoulder with cycle lane marking and a walking man marking painted on road. It goes from being wide in places (as the last link shows), to being tiny and smaller in other spots.

173115.JPG

And so close to the verge in a place like this next example, there's no way of known what's around the corner or here -- there could be a car parked or a person walking. Remember cyclist don't have the visibility advantage which drivers have from their position near the middle of the road.

173113.JPG

173114.JPG

Surface qualty is also questional at a few spots like at driveways and here and there could be problems with loose chippings from driveways etc that are not shown on Street View.

I would have tried to pull in on one of the wider sections but maybe the cyclist in question knows the problems with the track which could range from parking to people walking or any of the above mentioned things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

What are you supposed to do going in the other direction? I think by marking the hard shoulder as a cycle lane you'll get salmon, on top of the other problems listed.

• Advertisement

tomasrojo wrote: »
    What are you supposed to do going in the other direction? I think by marking the hard shoulder as a cycle lane you'll get salmon, on top of the other problems listed.

This is why I was asking the time of day and the side of the road. A wrongway cyclist here would be staring into even the dipped headlights and be dazzled. However there would be no steetlights to provide an offsetting source of light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Can someone explain the lane structure along Stephen's green south to me? I will have to check, but I think the signage for "official" cycle lane status has been removed. However, the lane clearly flows from one cycle lane and into another. Despite this, and possibly due to poor signage, I am regularly encountering drivers swinging into this short section of lane.

Who do I report the lack of signage to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Writes 100 lines

I hope you didn't copy & paste there...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

maybe someone should organise a 'spontaneous' boards critical mass ride on the ops commute for a week or so !

anyway whats a cycle lane, rare as a railway in the NW :D

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Can someone explain the lane structure along Stephen's green south to me? I will have to check, but I think the signage for "official" cycle lane status has been removed. However, the lane clearly flows from one cycle lane and into another. Despite this, and possibly due to poor signage, I am regularly encountering drivers swinging into this short section of lane.

That's the very wide bit skirting the taxi rank?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I hope you didn't copy & paste there...;)

True story....guy in my class got away with that once. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

That's the very wide bit skirting the taxi rank?

That's the one. Hate it, Stephens green is a double parking nightmare.

That's the one. Hate it, Stephens green is a double parking nightmare.
    The lane was so wide, I initially assumed it was a standard traffic lane when I first saw it. I guess some motorists are making the same assumption.

The lane was so wide, I initially assumed it was a standard traffic lane when I first saw it. I guess some motorists are making the same assumption.

Yeah we just put in a sub in Galway looking for a 3m cycle lane running between a long stretch of left turn only lane and straight on traffic. The thought occurs that some motorists might try to use it that way. The traffic engineers are insisting on a 100m left turn lane so there needs to a decent margin of separation. The engineers are offerng 1.5m cycle lane.

Ps they propose a 1.5m cycle lane inside the left turn lane as well. So we are saying take that and give it to the straight on cyclists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

part of it is on road marked by a yellow line
    If there is a yellow line, it is not a cycle lane. In Ireland, continuous single yellow lines are only used to indicate parking restrictions.

Cycle lanes are marked by white lines, RRM023 or RRM022, a bicycle logo and road sign RUS009, anything else is just makey-up and use is discretionary.

• Advertisement
Advertisement