Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycle lane

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

If there is a yellow line, it is not a cycle lane. In Ireland, continuous single yellow lines are only used to indicate parking restrictions.

Yea I meant to pick up on this. Solid yellow line also designates a hard shoulder on a motorway.

All makey-up paddywhackery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

mcgarry098 wrote: »
    Where there is a cycle lane Please stay in it,
    173012.jpg
    This guy seems to be following your advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭mcgarry098

hes givin ye a bit of yer own medicine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

hes givin ye a bit of yer own medicine.
    He 's breaking multiple road traffic laws, (can you list them?) whereas the cyclists in the bogus Mayo cycle lane were not.

Cycopath come back to me when you take off your stabilisers

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Cycopath come back to me when you take off your stabilisers
    I suggest you come back when you've passed your driving test...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Beasty wrote: »
    I suggest you come back when you've passed your driving test...

When? Glass half full person, eh?
    :)

sorry beasty but i cant go back in time!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

sorry beasty but i cant go back in time!
    Nice to know you're no longer driving unaccompanied on a Provisional licence.

As a number of posters have clearly shown that what you encountered was entirely legal and explained how it could be considered sensible and safe cycling, I don't think there's really anything further to say on your original request;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I think @mcgarry098 has inhaled to much carbon monoxide and is not seeing the big picture.

If cyclists stay in the cycle lanes, you can't do this to them.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

6113854526_36652c209f_b.jpg

On my way to work at about 9:15am on O'Connell Street. The white van is pulled up and offloading its cargo. The bus has pulled up alongside and behind to offload its passengers while taking on new ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭bikedude

IMG_20110909_174101.jpg

Another one.. Just coming back from work today, had another car parked in Front of Aldi as well, 100 meters down the road.

And that's everyday.

wait till the rain comes. ye'll all be runnin back to yer cars

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The cycling forum isn't here for you to have a go at cyclists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭ccull123

Wanna bet;)!! That's why they invented wet gear my friend!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

When did the rain go away???:rolleyes:

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Average wet days:

3658120461_a90f8db7d0_b.jpg

More on weather here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭DePurpereWolf

monument wrote: »
    Average wet days:

More on weather here.

Yeah, that's a very doubtful reference.

From the same source:
    “Rainfall of 0.5mm per hour would typically be viewed as drizzle/very light rain. Using this low rainfall threshold (i.e. cumulative rainfall of 0.2mm on the 22 minute journey) the cyclist would have got wet on only 5% of trips in the morning and on 4% of trips in the evening. When higher rainfall thresholds are applied the proportion of trips where the cyclist gets wet declines very dramatically. With a threshold of 1mm over the 22 minute journey, which would be classified as moderate rainfall, the cyclist gets wet on average on only 0.6% of trips in the morning and on 0.4% in the evening”
    This just shows that it never really 'rains' in Ireland. But just enough to get you wet. This seems to me filtering data to suit your claim.

I would choose a good 20 minute shower over a two hour drizzel anytime.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Y
    not me, the shower gets down into your socks very quickly, whilst drizzle is just refreshing, and you often dry out again from the Fahrtwind.
    Stats aside, I spend something like 10hrs a week commuting, and would only really expect a good soaking once a month. On the continent, when it rains, it rains for days at a time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

The rain data is only of cities also. Granted almost half the population live in Dublin, but hald dont. The west of ireland is among the wettest places in Europe. The rainfall stats would be interesting to see if towns from Galway to Cork along the W - SW _ S coast were included.

• Advertisement

Amsterdam and Copenhagen are also not known to be dry places.

I've calculated it once comparing Cork to Eindhoven (NL) and Kingston (USA) (i've lived in both places.

Cork has about 1194 mm of rain a year and Eindhoven 712. That's a good bit of difference. Kingston has also 940 mm, but most of it is snow in the winter.

When it comes to 'rainy' days, it depends on how you define it. If you use the lowest amount of recorded rain per day, Cork beats the other places.
    Cork: 17.5 days per month (average per year)
    Eindhoven: 11.25
    Kingston: 11.67

I have glasses, so the drizzle makes me blind. :(

Yeah, that's a very doubtful reference.

From the same source:

This just shows that it never really 'rains' in Ireland. But just enough to get you wet. This seems to me filtering data to suit your claim.

Can you expand on what you mean here?

That's fine if that's you preference, but for the majorty of cyclist's commutes a 20min shower would get them far more wet than light drizzel.

That's fine if that's you preference, but for the majorty of cyclist's commutes a 20min shower would get them far more wet than light drizzel.

showers show up on the radar and you can plan around them. Drizzle doesn't and is very random anyway. That's why showers are a bit more convenient, you know where they are and where they go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I've calculated it once comparing Cork to Eindhoven (NL) and Kingston (USA) (i've lived in both places.

Cork has about 1194 mm of rain a year and Eindhoven 712. That's a good bit of difference. Kingston has also 940 mm, but most of it is snow in the winter.

When it comes to 'rainy' days, it depends on how you define it. If you use the lowest amount of recorded rain per day, Cork beats the other places.
    Cork: 17.5 days per month (average per year)
    Eindhoven: 11.25
    Kingston: 11.67

I have glasses, so the drizzle makes me blind. :(

I a surmising what he means is that if you go out for long cycles, then a 20 min thundering shower is preferrable to the incessant soft rain that is usually experienced on the west coast of Ireland. This soft rain is insidious and it is impossible to stay dry in. Everything eventually gets wet.
    I hate it.

That's the first I've heard of it. I was put under the impression nowhere was worse than Ireland, including Dublin, for rain. ;)

The point of comparing Dublin to Amsterdam and Copenhagen is that those two cities have far higher levels of cycling with worse rain fall -- rain of any type just isn't a big issue for most people.

showers show up on the radar and you can plan around them. Drizzle doesn't and is very random anyway. That's why showers are a bit more convenient, you know where they are and where they go.

Sure if you're talking about going out for a cycle but I don't know many people who can plan their commutes in this way.

ROK ON wrote: »
    The rain data is only of cities also. Granted almost half the population live in Dublin, but hald dont. The west of ireland is among the wettest places in Europe. The rainfall stats would be interesting to see if towns from Galway to Cork along the W - SW _ S coast were included.

Data for Galway isn't on BBC.co.uk, nor now is data for Amsterdam (which was worse than Copenhagen last time I graphed their data).

But here's a graph of the same including Cork:

Wet Days (+0.25 mm):

oimg?key=0AuqTnMoHhp0ldE95cTdMWXVlNncyNThENDBmX3RSaXc&oid=6&zx=nch4z5otb0iz

Edited to insert clearer map and here's the link to google docs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

As someone who cycles 30km a day on average on Irish roads, you'd be surprised to find that it actually rains quite little over here. Its just in the atypical Irish mentality we only focus on the bad days in our memory IMO. In my 50 weeks of work last year I can only recall getting soaked on a maximum of 7 occasions.

3 of those were on the way home, so only 4 times was I soaked going into work, on these days alot of people forgot brollys so got almost as drenched running from their car to the front door. I had a change of clothes, they did not.

Suppose it all depends on how you wish to filter your data :cool:

On the topic of cycle lanes, I have no issue while driving waiting behind a cyclist going 40km/hr if there is nowhere safe to overtake (in most cases 40km/hr is faster than I would/should be driving), coming from the country I used to get equally annoyed on my bike or in my car waiting behind Massey 135s, i.e. not that annoyed because it is not a big deal but then again I always left in time for work to account for unexpected delays

The weather also varies by year, I came to Ireland in 2006 and 2006/7/8 were absolutely horrible, in my memory. The last two years have been fine. Or I'm slowly turning Irish and getting used to it.

On the topic of cycle lanes, my route to work is based on quality of road surface, number of traffic lights, amount of traffic and avoiding certain dangerous intersections. So my route in is different then out. They've recently 'installed' a cycle lane on part of my route but only on one side of the road, and for me on the wrong side. The effect it had on me is that my side of the road has gotten narrower and more dangerous. Way to go.

The cycle lane thing, they're so spotty and badly planned, why even bother.
    They just create more intersections for cyclists to merge back in, and thus create more dangerous events. They also solidify the illusion that roads are for cars and cyclists have no right on them.

Roads are public, sharing is caring.

6135322267_25965bedde_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/liamandagnieszka/6135322267/in/photostream

I was on Parnell Street yesterday when I noticed the taxis above. They were parked in what appears to be a loading bay with the line of cars continuing out onto the cycle lane. I found the line of cones particularly interesting as they made part of the lane unusable. You can see that cyclists have been forced out into a lane that would normally be used by cars.

Regardless of the pros/cons of cycle lanes etc, I'm wondering if this is legal? Can they get away with sectioning off part of the road and then using cones which are blocking the cycle lane? It would be madness if they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Are the cones always there on Parnell St? I came along their yesterday and got stuck in the big resurfacing works. There were lots of cones around from those works. In fact, I moved one cone from the kerbside onto the pavement to give me room to get through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Regardless of the pros/cons of cycle lanes etc, I'm wondering if this is legal? Can they get away with sectioning off part of the road and then using cones which are blocking the cycle lane? It would be madness if they can.

I had a taxi drive at me on the cycle lane outside the Hilton on Inchicore Road last night, and then try to reverse onto me as I was waiting on the cycle lane for the lights to change. Because, you see, taxi drivers can turn anything they like into an unofficial taxi rank, and the guards (Kilmaimham Station is about one hundred metres away) are implicitly fine with it, provided it's only pedestrians and cyclists being inconvenienced or exposed to hazard.

For those who don't know it, it looks like this:

173982.jpg

The unbroken white line makes it a mandatory cycle lane, so parking in it isn't allowed.

For a more characteristic view, here's the Google-map view from the other direction. The buses parking there are even worse than the taxis, as at least you can get around the taxis without going too far into the path of oncoming traffic.

173983.jpg

Are the cones always there on Parnell St? I came along their yesterday and got stuck in the big resurfacing works. There were lots of cones around from those works. In fact, I moved one cone from the kerbside onto the pavement to give me room to get through.

I do seem to recall the cones being there previously. Aside from that, those guys are always in that 'loading bay' and spill over onto the cycle lane.
    tomasrojo wrote: »
    I had a taxi drive at me on the cycle lane outside the Hilton on Inchicore Road last night, and then try to reverse onto me as I was waiting on the cycle lane for the lights to change.

Did they see you and did you say anything to him/her?

Ah, he saw me all right. I raised my wrist light, so he stopped before he collided with me, but I think before that point he wasn't aware I was approaching. I passed him then and while I was waiting for the light to change to cross he started reversing at me. He didn't come that close, he was just trying to get me to clear off, but it was rather rude. I didn't say anything; I was pretty sure that it would end with the usual Irish exchange of pleasantries, wherewith I would be compared to a regenerative member, and the drivers of the other taxis parked on the cycle lane would possibly join in.

Average wet days:

More on weather here.

VbQRWSyn.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭coolbeans

When I did climatology and climate change modules I remember being consistently surprised at the lecturers' assertions that in Dublin it rains about 7-8% of the time. One of them was a joint recipient of the Nobel Prize so I'm inclined to take his word for it.
    For what it's worth I got soaked precisely nil times last year but that may have something to do with the availability of a fairly reliable (for Dublin) bus service whenever it poured. I'd say I availed of it no more than six times over 50 weeks.

I had a taxi drive at me on the cycle lane outside the Hilton on Inchicore Road last night, and then try to reverse onto me as I was waiting on the cycle lane for the lights to change. Because, you see, taxi drivers can turn anything they like into an unofficial taxi rank, and the guards (Kilmaimham Station is about one hundred metres away) are implicitly fine with it, provided it's only pedestrians and cyclists being inconvenienced or exposed to hazard.

For those who don't know it, it looks like this:

173982.jpg

The unbroken white line makes it a mandatory cycle lane, so parking in it isn't allowed.

I think there needs to be an engineering approach to enforcement. I usually don't believe in extra signs (our system is way over the top with signs)

A lot of the parking on contra-flow lanes also really should count as "Parking a vehicle in a dangerous position" which attracts a court appearance, 5 points and a court fine. But like hell that'll happen anytime soon.

As for an engineering approach, bollards like this could work:

5615_SY-04_3D.jpg

As for an engineering approach, bollards like this could work:

I was in Barcelona a month or two ago and the cycle lanes there were segregated from the cars which is a great idea. In saying that though, the streets were generally much wider than Dublin so I would imagine they can plan a better cycling strategy.

6014377404_8edfa2ddda.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Jawgap wrote: »
    I think @mcgarry098 has inhaled to much carbon monoxide and is not seeing the big picture.

If cyclists stay in the cycle lanes, you can't do this to them.......

How would that happen? Cyclists don't stop at red lights :pac:

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Another nice example of bad planning.
    Whenever you have a kids play area, make sure there is parking because there's nothing worse than mom drivers.
    The next pictures shows a nice wide road. There is plenty of parking on the right yet everytime I pass this place I see a bunch of cars parked on the cycle lane.
    In the soccer-moms defense, parking on the right would require them to cross a 'busy' road with their toddlers.
    Screenshot.png

• Advertisement

As for an engineering approach, bollards like this could work
    Oddly enough, I wrote to the council a long time ago with just that suggestion (flexible bollards at intervals), though my emphasis was more on the blind corner down the road. They replied that they'd sent out and engineer and he didn't see any encroachment of the cycle lane.

Oddly enough, I wrote to the council a long time ago with just that suggestion (flexible bollards at intervals), though my emphasis was more on the blind corner down the road. They replied that they'd sent out and engineer and he didn't see any encroachment of the cycle lane.

I used to use the route daily for a good while and have used it the odd bit since, and I find a good few will encroach on it between the blind turn and random bits west of it -- it really seems like an on-going problem.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Probably didn't see it because he had stayed in bed that morning.

When traffic gets really heavy, motorists who wish to turn right at Con Colbert start using the facility as an extra lane.

I still think that bollards would cut out most of the stupid behaviour, and have the added benefit of slowing traffic down at the blind bend -- it is, after all, a residential street.

Might be a good idea to have some other people writing to the council then.
    In week intervals from a different sender untill the problem is fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Seasoft

My sympathies are with the cyclist! You can deduce the attitude of the people in the car from how they react!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDublin26#p/a/u/2/ZbdGieaz4LE

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

then you have people like this who have probably never used a cycle pathway before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBOGOrB6QgE

sorry if a repost.

karltimber wrote: »
    then you have people like this who have probably never used a cycle pathway before.

sorry if a repost.
    And seem to be unaware of how roadways are financed ("paid for by car owners"?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

karltimber wrote: »

sorry if a repost.

That's in goatstown, heading from The Goat pub towards the M50. The first section is not legally signposted as a cycle track, it's one of the "Share use" ones, signed by a (pedestrian|bike) sign. Can't say about the legality after the traffic lights, but I know from walking on the path beside it that section is lethal with people leaving their cars at the pay-and-display roadside parking and meandering all over the cycle track. I don't use either of them.

"aaagh woowoowoowoo yeah don't go on the path". :rolleyes:
    He didn't. He stayed on the road where he's supposed to be. Muppet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Seasoft wrote: »
    My sympathies are with the cyclist! You can deduce the attitude of the people in the car from how they react!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDublin26#p/a/u/2/ZbdGieaz4LE

Video caption says "In Dublin parked and she turns up!!!"

They neglect to mention that the cyclist's first words on the video are "you're parked in the cycle path".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

And seem to be unaware of how roadways are financed ("paid for by car owners"?).

"The government pays millions" for schools and some people still come out half-educated and unable to spell properly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement