Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concern About the Element the New Malahide Cricket Ground Will Attract

Options
  • 02-09-2011 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

Work is well under way on the new 12,000 capacity cricket stadium in Malahide. It is only since I saw the construction site the other day that it struck me that this ground may attract a totally undesirable element in our beautiful, quiet, little town.

Mobs of jumper wearing, merlot drinking, picnic basket carrying toffs may ruin the beautiful balance of our village. This ground is to become Ireland's international cricket ground. Have we not seen the problems of cricket hooliganism worldwide and just assume our little town is safe

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/sport/cricket/145680.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/1424010.stm

Has this development been thought through fully? I say NIMBY. I'll take our cider drinking teenagers and their shenanigans any day in our park.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Cricket hooligans ??? A wicked lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

You seemed a bit bowled over by the news. Maybe a little stumped by it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

seanmacc wrote: »
    Work is well under way on the new 12,000 capacity cricket stadium in Malahide. It is only since I saw the construction site the other day that it struck me that this ground may attract a totally undesirable element in our beautiful, quiet, little town.

Mobs of jumper wearing, merlot drinking, picnic basket carrying toffs may ruin the beautiful balance of our village. This ground is to become Ireland's international cricket ground. Have we not seen the problems of cricket hooliganism worldwide and just assume our little town is safe

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/sport/cricket/145680.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/1424010.stm

Has this development been thought through fully? I say NIMBY. I'll take our cider drinking teenagers and their shenanigans any day in our park.

Imagine having Toffs in Malahide :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Just to clarify what cricket is all about

The Rules of Cricket

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
    When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game! by Gopi (gopi@mem.odu.edu)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

martinn123 wrote: »
    Just to clarify what cricket is all about

The Rules of Cricket

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
    When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game! by Gopi (gopi@mem.odu.edu)
    Fantastic summary of cricket. Well summed up old bean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Cricket hooligans? really!?

I'm very certain you have very little to worry about... last time I checked Lusk and Balbriggan (well, Balrothery) have NO cricket related hooligan problems AT ALL. If anything, I might create revenue for the town, encourage kids (and adults alike) to take up cricket - which has really been getting a lot of uptake in the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Well, I am not so sure sNarah, remember Niall O'Brien destroyed England, in the W/Cup

insn't he from NCD, serious men, these cricket players, and supporters

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We're serious in our support for the game

We're serious in spending our moiney supporting the local economy

I've seen cricket at the highest levels - England v Australia, both in England and Australia. Crowds of 50,000 or more. When you are talking about the Ashes fans may get boisterous inside the ground, but I've never seen any trouble outside any cricket ground.

Now here you're talking about crowds of up to 12,000. I would imagine the ground would only ever be anywhere near capacity when England play over here - perhaps once a year.

Bottom line is cricket does not attract any "hooligan" element, and I would never anticipate any trouble at an cricket matches in Ireland

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just a further thought - presumably there's a much larger influx of visitors whenever there's a concert at Malahide Castle, but I don't remember any major issues arising at any recent event (and cricket fans are typically a lot more placid than concert goers)

NB - I note the OP had to go back 10 years to find an example of cricket "hooliganism". Indeed in one of the articles the were simply referring to prevention measures rather than specific problems at the match in question

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Are the last few posts for real? :confused:

• Advertisement

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Are the last few posts for real? :confused:
    Well mine were aimed at allaying any fears anyone has over the potential issues identified by the OP

I've no idea what yours adds to the discussion though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Beasty wrote: »
    Well mine were aimed at allaying any fears anyone has over the potential issues identified by the OP

So are mine, from my experience with cricket - which is rather extensive, both here and OZ - I have *never* witnessed any negative issues with the game and its supporters....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Aside from my own personal contempt for the game of cricket (I think its just an English excuse for daytime drinking) have they thought out were all the Jags and Mercs are going to park on the day of a big match. Its all well and good to expect the D4 mob to get the DART but what about the rest?

Parking in Malahide can be a pain at the best of times with the train station car park full practically all day, everyday. The park's parking facilities are limited and the cricket club itself wouldn't have more than 15 spaces. What we may not get in cricket hooliganism we may get in road rage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

chughes wrote: »
    Cricket hooligans ??? A wicked lot.
    surely you mean wicket?

Either way, its just not cricket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It'll be a sticky wicket for the organizers for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Beasty wrote: »

I feel the tone of the thread has been lost on you, shame cause it was quite fun up to that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

An Irishman, an Indian and a South African walk into a bar...

The barman welcomes the English cricket team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

seanmacc wrote: »
    Aside from my own personal contempt for the game of cricket (I think its just an English excuse for daytime drinking) have they thought out were all the Jags and Mercs are going to park on the day of a big match. Its all well and good to expect the D4 mob to get the DART but what about the rest?

Parking in Malahide can be a pain at the best of times with the train station car park full practically all day, everyday. The park's parking facilities are limited and the cricket club itself wouldn't have more than 15 spaces. What we may not get in cricket hooliganism we may get in road rage.

I guess your not a sports fan in Ireland........otherwise you would have seen the rather low parking facilities at the RDS, Donnybrook, Landsdowne, Croker. Need I go on more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

martinn123 wrote: »
    Well, I am not so sure sNarah, remember Niall O'Brien destroyed England, in the W/Cup

insn't he from NCD, serious men, these cricket players, and supporters

It was his brother Kevin and they arn't from NCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I thought it was John Moooney who done the damage at the end against the "Auld Enemy". Now there is N.C.D. man.

Id say the locals are worried up there about tractors arriving at matchs just like you see at the real N.C.D cricket grounds.

Malahide has little to fear from a cricket ground or its supporters, just take a look around any weekend night plenty of litle toff running around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭PaulD77

God forbid there would be jumper wearing, Merlot drinking Toffs in Malahide!! :rolleyes:

Is the OP the Malahide Ross O Carroll Kelly?

Advertisement