Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom broadband slow at nite

Options
  • 02-09-2011 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

i notice our broadband slows dramatically around 10-12 at nite

i'm on the 7mb dsl and the ping and download speed drops from 50ms,5 mbit daytime to about 300ms,1 mbit regular on speedtest

i rang tech support and they say everything checks out ok and if they send a technician and he finds no problem on the eircom side it'll cost me 150 euro

i think the problem is on their side-am i entitled to better speeds than this?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Could be a number of factors at play:
    - Contention at your local exchange (Eircom's fault)
    - Contention on the webserver of the particular site(s) you frequent (The webhost's fault)
    - Drop in modem sync speeds on your line which happens at night (you have to blame the laws of physics on this one!)

What modem are you using?
    Could you post some connection stats both during the day and at night when it's slow so the two can be compared? If you don't know how to do this, then posting what modem you are using means someone should be able to tell you where to obtain the connection stats from :)

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

I have a similar problem.

Eircom BB is slow or drops off continually in the evening. This problem has been there for some time.

Eircom have just sent me a new modem – it carries their branding – with a 'ZyXEL' badge on the back of it. I suspect that the problem is contention because the problems generally appear from about 20.00 hrs with no serious issue during the day.

I have raised the matter with Eircom and am awaiting a response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

yah i think i've a similar issue-i'm using the Zyxel also

haven't got round to checking the stats yet-but will do

seems like you have to prove the problem is their side before you call them out

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Mine drops off in the evenings too sometimes though its fine this evening. On a 3 meg package result is below:
    1474942343.png

Your problem has to do with congestion, thats why its ok during the day but not at night when more people are on it. There is no point requesting a tech to call out. He won't find anything wrong because it will be during the day and his speedtest will come up normal.
    My job is an Eircom tech and I have come across this loads of times. One thing that can impact speed is dodgy internal wiring or phones without filters but if this were the case your speed would be slow all of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

yes

but if drops to 1mbit or less on a 7mbit package

that's hardly satisfactory is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

It's not acceptable but what can you do. Eircom won't listen unless maybe lots of people from the same area complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

agreed...it's definitely congestion and yet eircom refuse to do anything about it...
    but at least the speeds astill 4 or 4 meg...ping times are atrocious though so no gaming for me :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This is quite a common problem and is caused by congestion. eircom do fix congestion issues sometimes. You need to name the exchange at least though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi M cebee and Condatis

would you be able to PM me your tel. number and I can have a look at both your issues.
    I hope to be able to monitor connection over two nights and should have a good idea of the issue.

Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Tommynocker

Hi

I have the same issue during evening hours. Last Saturday and Sunday were really bad I had a latency between 450 - 600ms. I will pm you my phone number can you have a look at it for me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 keithraymond

Ever since huricane "katina" or whatever it was I have had incredibly slow internet! It's fierce annoying and I am strongly thinking of changing to UPC if it is not right by Monday! Waste of my time paying full whack for broadband when a dial up connection would be quicker! Heres my fastest internet speed test from the past week.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1486728319.png

Does anyone know if this is a national problem. Is there a problem with eircom? Patience running out with me as I like to play the playstation online to relax in the evening and I can't because the connection is so poor!

Thanks

Keith:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It would be your line only, pm your number to Tony to get someone out to trace the fault.

It's not just the slowness that's so irritating – there's also the constant dropping off, sometimes only for seconds but long enough to lose a connection.

I would be interested to know whether there is the same issue with other providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Would you not consider switching to UPC?

I'm on 100mb* fibre optic broadband, and have experienced no problems yet.

yes, I did just come here to say that

Would you not consider switching to UPC?

I'm on 100mb* fibre optic broadband, and have experienced no problems yet.

yes, I did just come here to say that

How much does it cost?

Does it include telephone service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Condatis wrote: »
    It's not just the slowness that's so irritating – there's also the constant dropping off, sometimes only for seconds but long enough to lose a connection.

I would be interested to know whether there is the same issue with other providers.

Hi Condatis,

Thanks for post. I see there is a current logged case with Technical Support. There is also a request to arrange an appointment for an engineer to go out to your premises and fully investigate this intermittent connection problem.

If you'd like to do this right away, please call into Broadband Support as soon as possible. Just give your phone number as a reference, as there is a case pending (work in progress). Technical Support will just need to advise you on the engineer call out, and arrange the appointment time with you.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (Mon - Sun).

Best regards,
    Ant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭bridgemond

I am very disappointed with my eircom 8mb broadband. Download speeds are very inconstant. Sometimes a download will fly along and other times take ages. Also I always get a thing saying I have no dsl connection, What ever that is? and usually have to what a half hour before I can connect to the internet:mad:.

Will be shoping around when my 1 year contract is up, Which hopefully is soon

Ever since huricane "katina" or whatever it was I have had incredibly slow internet! It's fierce annoying and I am strongly thinking of changing to UPC if it is not right by Monday! Waste of my time paying full whack for broadband when a dial up connection would be quicker! Heres my fastest internet speed test from the past week.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1486728319.png

Does anyone know if this is a national problem. Is there a problem with eircom? Patience running out with me as I like to play the playstation online to relax in the evening and I can't because the connection is so poor!

Thanks

Keith:mad:

Hi Keith,

Thanks for posting on the eircom /Boards forum.

Can you PM your home phone number or eircom Account number so we can look into this connection /broadband speed issue.

Cheers,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Condatis wrote: »
    How much does it cost?

Does it include telephone service?

Well here's a tip for you. UPC currently have an offer whereby you can get the 100mb plus a telephone line all for 50 quid per month. The thing is - they don't seem to advertise it, so it's up to you to mention it to them. That's what I did.

Well here's a tip for you. UPC currently have an offer whereby you can get the 100mb plus a telephone line all for 50 quid per month. The thing is - they don't seem to advertise it, so it's up to you to mention it to them. That's what I did.

What phone calls are included in that charge?

Is your phone line compatible with Eircom Phonewatch?

• Advertisement

bridgemond wrote: »
    I am very disappointed with my eircom 8mb broadband. Download speeds are very inconstant. Sometimes a download will fly along and other times take ages. Also I always get a thing saying I have no dsl connection, What ever that is? and usually have to what a half hour before I can connect to the internet:mad:.

Will be shoping around when my 1 year contract is up, Which hopefully is soon

Hi bridgemond,

Let me know ,or PM your home phone number, if I can help with your broadband query. Or please log any Broadband connection problem with our Technical Support Department :

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (Mon - Sun).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will speed up your call time and help if you need to follow up. Alternatively, let us know your case id and we can follow this up with Technical Support.

Regards,
    Ant

Advertisement