Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help for independent 'non-mature' student?

Options
  • 03-09-2011 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,
    Apologies if this topic has already been covered (feel free to point me to relevant thread), I'm looking for some advice for a 20 yr old student who has been living independently of parents for the last 3 years. Has gotten a place in college via FETAC/Youthreach route but coming up against problems with grant appl because she is not regarded as independent as she is under 23. I've advised her to contact college directly and look at possibility of applying under their hardship scheme while her situation is looked at but would welcome any other advice, suggestions etc.

Thanks in advance:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sean_Paul

Congratulations to her on gaining a place at College. The grant people can be really difficult. I lived away from home for a year and a half and they still regarded me as being dependent on my Mother, meaning my grant was 800 instead of 3,000

The girl is entitled to the full maintenance grant as far as I'm aware and may even be entitled to the 6000 grant. In the meantime there are a number of financial supports available. Firstly, the student assistance fund that can be accessed through the College. Its a matter of filling in a form that can be obtained from the college. However, don't rely on it being successful as their very picky about who gets anything and want tonnes of information and may interview the student as well

She could also try the St Vincent de Paul. They give student grants ranging from 500 to 1500. So its worth a shot and can cover the first few months

Advertisement