Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightforce illuminated reticule

Options
  • 03-09-2011 1:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

I'm having a small problem with the illuminated reticule on my scope. I'm seeing what looks like a shadow of the reticule behind the reticule when I'm using the illumination. I don't see it with my left eye just the right. I've tried adjusting the eyepiece, but no matter what i do I'm either seeing this second reticule or the crosshairs look fuzzy.
    Has anybody else experienced this and if so is there a solution?
    I'd like to get this sorted because I'll be starting back lamping soon

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I've had this before myself, and its a simple case of the reticle being out of focus. A few questions to be sure.
    1. Is the reticle in focus without the illumination being on?
    2. Is the reticle instantly sharp and clear when you look into the scope of is it after a few seconds?
    3. Are you right or left eye dominant?
    4. Have you tried focusing the rifle using the parallex aswell as using the diopter/ocular lense adjustment?
    5. Are you looking into the scope throughout the focusing process?
    Reasons for asking.
    1. If it is focused, instantly when looking into it, without the reticle being illuminated then there could be a more serious problem. However NF have a lifetime warranty and a great customer service.
    2. If the reticle is not instantly harp and only becomes "clear after a few sconds of looking into it then its not actually focused. Its your eye focusing itself on the reticle. This is apparent if after looking into the scope for a short period the reticle forcuses then unfocuses again. If this is the case then it needs properly focused.
    3. You say its fine for your left, but not your right eye. If you are left eye dominant then using your right eye could need different foucs setting. A quick way to check is to place your finger out at arms length over an object. Have both eyes open. Place your finger in such a position so as to "cover" the object. Now close each eye individually and see which one is blocked by the finger. This is your dominant eye.
    4. Using the side focus on its own is not sufficient. If unsure then turn the diopter/ocular lense (eye piece) all the way in with the mag on top setting and turn the side focus to infinity (the 8 on its side). Ideally point the scope into a clear sky or solid colour wall. There should be nothing else in your filed of view of thescope that will "distract" the attention of your eye and take "focus" on the reticle. Slowly turn the side focus and see if the crosshairs become clear/sharp. As said aboe do not stay looking into the scope for more than a second or two as your eye will naturally focus the reticle if given enough time, tricking you into thinking the scope if focused. If you cannot get a sharp reticle then turn the ocular lense ut and try again with the side focus. Keep at the adjusting of these two until you get a clear/sharp reticle. Once done then try it in a dark room/at night with the illuminated reticle. If the reticle is sharp with the illumination off and fuzzy with it on then its either stilll not right or there is a problem with the reticle.
    5. As said briefly above its fairly important not to remain staring into the scope while focusing it. You eye will naturally focus itself and make the reticle clear/sharp. This will be obvious if it takes a few seconds for the reticle to become clear then a few seconds later it starts to blur again. If this happens then its your eye doing the focusing and not the adjustments turret/ocular lense. Look into the scope and adjust. Stop and look away afte a few seconds for a few secons. Look back into the scope and ty again. Repeat as often as is necessary until you get the reticle sharp and clear. You must see a sharp, defined reticle immediately after looking in otherwise its not properly focused. A chap that visited the range recently told me that straining your neck does something to the blood being circulated and thats why scope placement and proper cheek riser adjustment is essential. He told me that if your sheek piece is too low and you have to strain to "reach up" to the scope you are putting unnecessary pressure on the neck and this can effect focus on the eyes. Now i'm no doctor, but if someone tells me something like this and it sounds plausible then i'll listen and try it.
    Most of what i said seems straight forward enough and most points are related to the next point. It'll take time and a bit of patience, but if anfter trying all the above and still no oy then i'd get onto nightforce, tell them the prolem, and that you've tried all the above and still no joy. They'll direct you to the next step from there.

PS - I don't think i've ever used the word focus so many times. :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

Thanks for the advice Ez. I was already trying what you said last night, except I was looking at a target while adjusting the diopter maybe this was my mistake.
    I know that I'm totally right eye dominant, because I've done the finger pointing thing before.
    The reticule is clear and sharp without the illumination, and the fuzziness is more noticeable under the m7r than the lightforce 170.
    I'll persevere for a little more and see how it goes.
    Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

Very good advice from Ezridax.
    I dont think there is anything wrong with the scope if its ok with your left eye
    and it probably is a focus issue.
    If you cant get it sorted get a couple of mates to test it first before sending it back for repair.
    If it looks fine to them you may have to pay specsavers a visit.

zeissman wrote: »
    If it looks fine to them you may have to pay specsavers a visit.

i feckin hope not:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭ring 20

which recticle has it got? i dont use it at all on my nightforce when im lamping

• Advertisement

ring 20 wrote: »
    which recticle has it got? i dont use it at all on my nightforce when im lamping
    NP-R2, I always use the illumination, as I find it much faster when aquiring a target, especially when the target is a wary fox who's inclined to move and stop for a second or two and I have to be quick to shoot him. I find the reticule too fine for that kind of shooting without illumination

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭ring 20

same one ive got myself, i used it a few times but found i didnt like it, have you adjusted the brightness?

ring 20 wrote: »
    same one ive got myself, i used it a few times but found i didnt like it, have you adjusted the brightness?
    Yes, I have the brightness down to a level I like. I found that when it was turned up to where I could see it during the day, that is was very glarey at night. At the moment I have it so that the reticule just looks red at night, not lit up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

declan1980 wrote: »
    Yes, I have the brightness down to a level I like. I found that when it was turned up to where I could see it during the day, that is was very glarey at night. At the moment I have it so that the reticule just looks red at night, not lit up

The only time you can see my reticle is at night.
    I found I only had fuzz/glare when I had it on full power

Advertisement