Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub Noise

Options
  • 03-09-2011 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm living in an apartment beside a pub in tyrrelstown, i've been living here over three years and although the pub was there when i moved in, it has recently come under new managment.

There was always a bit of noise (as expected) but since the new managment took over its become unbearable, the pub is supposed to stop serving at 12.30, but there is people still coming out of it untill 2am, and this is every weekend.

As i'm typing this there is a load of people shouting and screaming outside and there was a fight earlier with about 30 people involved.
    The gardai came and also an ambulance to take away the injured.
    Although the fightings more of a rare occurance, the noise of people shouting and screaming happens all weekend every weekend untill the early hours making it impossible to sleep.

I knew i was choosing to live beside a pub when i moved here, but had i known it was almost night club hours i wouldn't have bothered.

So what can i do about this? do i speak to the pub or is there a section of the council i can complain to? I can't go on much longer like this.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 248 ✭✭I love Joan Burton

Next time they are applying for renewal of their alcohol licence, go to the court hearing and object i think is the procedure but maybe someone here will fill you in in more detail to whats involved

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭scooby2791

Friday and Saturdays pubs can keep serving up until 12.30am, generally have a closing time of an hour or so after. I'd say you should approach the bar manager and explain your situation to him, he will definitely understand. As annoying as it is for you, he is tasked with removing all of these drunk people before he can begin the clean up inside so I'm sure he will agree to some extent with you.

I'd also imagine the pub has some sort of duty of care with regards to noise levels if it is surrounded by a residential area? Get onto to the manager first, then I'd say pop into your local Garda station and ask them where would it best to report the bar too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭teol

Follow the advice given by Fingal County Council

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Environment/AirandNoisePollution/

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

I feel for you JD81, as I went through over a year of noise nuisance torture before the matter was resolved. Approaching the owner is the first port of call, the verbal interaction should be followed up with a letter, as written evidence is more powerful in court (if it comes to that)

Also do the following:

1) contact the noise nuisance unit of your local council and register a complaint regardless of what the owner says. They will contact the premises and maybe send out an officer to maker measurements. Play your cards close to your chest with the council - info. on a need-to-know basis. There have been alleged instances of corruption.

2) Keep a diary of all occurrences of noise nuisance. This is most important, because, if it goes to court, this diary will form an important part of your testimony.

3) Watch those license applications - if the noise is continuing then file and objection to the license. You have nothing to lose as you can always withdraw the objection if they start behaving more reasonably.

4) Try to get neighbours onboard - it's harder to ignore many voices

Good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Fiyero

TroutMask wrote: »
    Play your cards close to your chest with the council - info. on a need-to-know basis. There have been alleged instances of corruption.

Alleged instances of corruption?

That's just ever so slightly libellous...

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

No, it's not. That's why i said 'alleged'. I speak from experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Take a recording of the noise too. It all helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

If someone wonders in to this thread looking for a noisy pub the GreyHound opens every Saturday until 2:30am :)

jammers.

Advertisement