Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance?

Options
  • 03-09-2011 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭

I have a house for rent and a few people have asked do i take rent allowance and i have to say i don't know
    what is rent allowance and what does it mean for a landlord?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Spud5467

Rent allowance is a welfare payment to help people with low incomes. If you accept it theres a form to fill in. The tenant will then get visited by the community welfare officer to check everything is as described. This can take a number of weeks. Once processed and approved the tenant will get their rent back dated from the beginning of the rental agreement. Rent allowance is always back dated.

Best bet is to check google about accepting it as a landlord or talk to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

Never once has anyone come to check a house/apartment i was getting rent allowance for.

You do fill in a form, All it is is how much is the rent, and then lots of tick the boxes i.e does it have a seperate toilet/shower. is it furnished etc etc.

The deposit is the sticky one, they're very slow with it and unless the family/people have kids etc its very unlikely they will get the full amount of deposit off the social. If its 800deposit, they may get 5/6 on a very good day.

Usually people say "rent allowance NOT accepted" to deter degenerates who claim social welfare. But this day in age, even the most straight of peole have no choice but to claim.

There may be a request to "fiddle" the form from the proposed tennants. I'm going to use my example from 3yrs ago and in cork as an example.

At the time the maximum cost per week a single guy looking for R/A on an apartment was €108p/w. My apartment was €115. When i went back first day with the form stating €115p/w i was told no. I had to go off, tell the landlord €108 or nothing. So all it means is, they may ask you to doctor this piece if the form, but it only impacts them as they'll have to cover the difference from their own pockets, not you.

Just be sure that its agreed that the cost is actually €115p/w and not €108.

(obviously my figures are very low, but you get the idea of where i'm coming from.)

Advertisement