Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Phone first time customer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Any touch-tone phone that is compatible with an Irish line will work perfectly on it.

There's a pair of RJ11 phone sockets on the back of the the router, Phone 1 carries your line.

You can plug phones into this as you would into your eircom socket.

The box provides a dial tone, and normal services just like an eircom line. You won't really notice any difference. The dial tone's slightly different and the line does not support old pulse dial / rotary dial phones, but other than that, it's identical to an eircom line.

Calls connect instantly, there's 171 voicemail, call waiting and all that stuff too.

If you want to connect it to your existing phone sockets, you can simply remove the eircom incoming line connection (ensure that it is absolutely not connected to the internal wiring, even if the line is dead and there is no dial tone) Then plug your UPC box into any phone socket, and they should all go live from the box.

Warning: DO NOT connect the UPC box to the internal wiring if the eircom line is still connected to the wiring at any point as you will risk damaging the box or, eircom's local exchange!

Also, note that Argos usually sells UK-spec'd phones with an Irish RJ11 adaptor. With Panasonic phones, you should be able to simply plug an Irish phone cable into the phone and ditch the little adaptor.

A small minority of UK-spec'd phones (usually BT-branded) have the RJ11 port at the phone itself wired incorrectly so you have to use the original cable, hence you need an adaptor. However, most are now marketed for use in several / all EU countries, so the cables conform to the normal RJ11 standards. They just throw the appropriate cable for each country into the pack when localising them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭horse7

can i use a eircom/netopia modem/router

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

horse7 wrote: »

Basically no...why would you want to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭collier

No the UPC Phone and Broadband services are supplied to the premises via coaxial cable. The eircom router you mentioned is used to connect to a DSL service.

UPC will provide you with a CISCO cable modem which contains a router and telephone interface. This will provide you with WiFi connectivity in your house, telephone service via the phone sockets on the back and wired-ethernet if you want to connect any devices directly to the back of it.

Here's how it looks:

Cisco-EPC2245.jpg

It connects to a splitter which is connected to your UPC cable socket on the wall. It has absolutely nothing whatsoever got to do with eircom phone lines or DSL.

For 99.999999% of home installations, you will not need any other equipment.

Just connect your PC/Mac and any mobiles (smartphones), iPad etc via WiFi
    PlayStation/XBox via WiFi or an ethernet cable into the back of the modem.
    Phones - plug into the phone jack on the back of the device.

Couldn't be easier.

The modem's WiFi is setup when it's delivered and the device ID and password are printed on the bottom of the modem itself.

So, you don't even have to configure anything really at all, unless you want to.

Just find your network name in your computer's wifi menu .. it'll be something like UPC123456
    Enter the password, printed on the bottom of the modem, and you're online!

There's a full instruction manual with the phone.

To setup voicemail:

Dial 171 - follow prompts and record your messages etc etc.

To forward all your unanswered calls to voicemail dial *77
    To forward calls to voicemail when you're already on the phone dial *76

http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/84/session/L3NpZC8xUTFKcm1Eaw%3D%3D/p/3

You can also have anonymous calls rejected: (great for ridding yourself of annoying telemarketers!)

To activate this service on your handset press *90.
    To deactivate the service on your handset press #90.

Tons of info on their website!

http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/list/p/3,60

• Advertisement

thanks.i was just tryiny to save buying another modem. p.s although we have upc tv in my area,we cant get b/band. ive rang upc and did chat with them on line. our upc cables were upgraded about 6 months ago. upc can not give me any info on when the b/band service will be up and running. they cannot give me any contact numbers to find out any information. i will have to sign a 12month deal with another provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

thanks.i was just tryiny to save buying another modem. p.s although we have upc tv in my area,we cant get b/band. ive rang upc and did chat with them on line. our upc cables were upgraded about 6 months ago. upc can not give me any info on when the b/band service will be up and running. they cannot give me any contact numbers to find out any information. i will have to sign a 12month deal with another provider.

You can use the eircom router with any DSL provider

so i can use the netopia modem with any dsl provider but not the upc because its a co ax feed not an rj one.thanks.

eircom router is a DSL modem which sends signals over a standard 2-wire telephone line.

UPC broadband is a totally different technology which uses EuroDOCSIS signals over a coaxial cable.

They're totally incompatible.

Try tweeting them : http://twitter.com/upc_ireland and getting an update. If you area is rewired, they are probably just waiting to connect new head-end equipment to provide broadband / phone.

Advertisement