Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Southgate Fitness Closed?

Options
  • 03-09-2011 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

I was talking to lad last night who told me Southgate Fitness has closed down, literally overnight. Does anyone know anything? He thinks they are moving to the Neptune in Bettystown. If so, will my membership carry over?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Not heard anything, other than afaik, it was losing money hand over fist.

EDIT: Actually, to add to that, I remember hearing that it was basically set up by a father to give his son some work and that the father didn't care if it made profit provided he got the initial investment back. But given how barren that center is, I can't imagine it was doing fantastically :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

I saw a post on their facebook page - yes, it has closed down, and they'll write to all members to let them know about alternative arrangements (not exactly sure what they are as I'm no longer a member, but I did hear Bettystown mentioned in a fb post).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Plenum

Was told by one of the staff memebrs on Friday that memners can use neptune in bettystown...anyone know if its any good?

I was always tempted to sign up based on its location ( I live in Grange Rath). I'd imagine people would be annoyed if they were told they had to go to Bettystown now. Know it's not a major journey but still....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Phew, I was planning on signing up, glad I decided to leave it for a while! I wouldnt bother going all the way to Bettystown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

I was always tempted to sign up based on its location ( I live in Grange Rath). I'd imagine people would be annoyed if they were told they had to go to Bettystown now. Know it's not a major journey but still....

It would be a major journey if you didn't have access to your own transport!

Was a member earlier this year, didn't renew for health reasons, I'm glad I didn't now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭K nacker

gipi wrote: »

Was a member earlier this year, didn't renew for health reasons, I'm glad I didn't now!

There's a catch, you have to pay for full new membership at bettystown and then they will discount the remainder of the Southgate gym subscription.

Not great given its the same family involved in both gyms.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

if that's the case id take the hit and join a different gym

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

if going to jackie skellys- or whatever its called now- make a point of seeing is the pool warm, my kids wont go in to it its that cold and the corridor from the pool to the changing rooms is always freezing too

aura is top notch, ive had to cancel this month as im going back to college but i have to say the facilities are great. ive heard good things about integral as well but i couldnt tell you first hand what its like.

there are a few cheaper options there as well if you don't need a pool, a friend of mine just joined matrix for something like 250 up front for the year

• Advertisement

gipi wrote: »

Rossin wrote: »
    if that's the case id take the hit and join a different gym

It the case.... They have a letter on the door of the closed gym stating how great Integral bettystown are for doing such a wonderful thing. Its real bullSh*te in the letter. Not one mention of the family connection between the two gyms in it. Its not being honest with members who have lost out, and to me it all smells to high heaven.

Lads, I would be trying to get my money back, especially if there is a family connection there is money available to refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Mr_Hat

Whats the family connection?

Mr_Hat wrote: »
    Whats the family connection?

Is it allowed on this forum to give names?

K nacker wrote: »
    Is it allowed on this forum to give names?
    Go for it, you wont be taken out and shot :pac:

Dont see how discussing who runs/owns a business is against any rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Mr_Hat

EDIT: Actually, to add to that, I remember hearing that it was basically set up by a father to give his son some work and that the father didn't care if it made profit provided he got the initial investment back. But given how barren that center is, I can't imagine it was doing fantastically :/

Is that who your talking about. Its kind a weird, that they'd set up competing bussiness. Are you sure they re related are they brothers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

They are probably both limited companies and therefore legally seperate so you would have no comeback against the other gym, only hope is for people who paid by credit card to try to get chargebscks, not nice for their customers though

Mr_Hat wrote: »
    Is that who your talking about. Its kind a weird, that they'd set up competing bussiness. Are you sure they re related are they brothers ?

Yeah, it's who I was talking about. I can't imagine a gym in Southgate would contend too much with one down in Bettystown though. There are people either side of them that would probably find the other too far to go to anyway.

so is there a gym in town called integral and also one in bettystown with similar name? but not connected?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭ALS

Heard from a reliable source a new reputable owner is to open a gym @ southgate in the next fortnight , :)
    Lousy what previous owners did to their customers , always a handy gym for the locals :-)good to hear a new one to open,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

ALS wrote: »
    Heard from a reliable source a new reputable owner is to open a gym @ southgate in the next fortnight , :)
    Lousy what previous owners did to their customers , always a handy gym for the locals :-)good to hear a new one to open,

I like where you said "a new reputable owner".
    I was told a woman will be opening new gym in the next 2 weeks.
    Off subject, a new hardware shop opening there end of October next door to the Barber. Also rumours of another big multiple taking remaining units opposite Dunnes.

PS: Maybe this should be in the Meath section, Southgate is in County Meath :-)

I've always considered Grange Rath and its shopping center as part of Louth. I know the boundries don't agree but we're right on the edge and I'd say most people in here would say we're part of Drogheda which is Louth....

Awesome to hear about the new shops though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

just got back from holidays to discover this :mad: I had a year left on a 2 year membership. I have recieved no word about other arrangements, anyone know what they are

m.j.w wrote: »
    just got back from holidays to discover this :mad: I had a year left on a 2 year membership. I have recieved no word about other arrangements, anyone know what they are

in a nut shell,

Southgate fitness closed over night, leaving members high and dry.:(
    Took money from punters up until the last min.:mad:
    Moved all equipment to neptune bettystown to fitout new Integral gym.:cool:
    The sting in the tail! Same family involved in both gyms!!.:eek:

Moral of the story. Don't pay more money to you know where, and join a gym with real integrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Mylow wrote: »
    I like where you said "a new reputable owner".
    I was told a woman will be opening new gym in the next 2 weeks.
    Off subject, a new hardware shop opening there end of October next door to the Barber. Also rumours of another big multiple taking remaining units opposite Dunnes.

PS: Maybe this should be in the Meath section, Southgate is in County Meath :-)

Sorry for asking this here - but the other Southgate thread is in the meath forum and I can't go in there in my Louth GAA jersey.

Is this shopping centre any busier these days? We were having a serious think about opening an outlet there a few months back and put it on the back burner to concentrate on Dublin for a while.

Is the shopping centre still very empty?

It is a bit busier. The new food place seems to be constantly full, and the Coke offices means there's people constantly buzzing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Cant believe these scumbags can just get away with this, i rang integral to ask what the alternative was and they said southgate got in touch with them a month ago saying they were in trouble and looking to work out a deal. If this is the case why were they taking new members 2 days before they closed. Its a disgrace and I hope the owner gets all thats due to him. I understand places going under in this climate but the way in which this happened is just a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

bigneacy wrote: »
    Sorry for asking this here - but the other Southgate thread is in the meath forum and I can't go in there in my Louth GAA jersey.

Is this shopping centre any busier these days? We were having a serious think about opening an outlet there a few months back and put it on the back burner to concentrate on Dublin for a while.

Is the shopping centre still very empty?

While Coca Cola have moved in, I still don't think it's busy enough for most businesses.

Having also been in retail for years I loathe trading in shopping centres/retail parks for the extortionate maintenance charges for sweet FA. The last place I was in had a ridiculous management fee, which didn't even include refuse charges and when there was a break in there was no security on site as they had cut the service down to a mobile service.:mad:

Don't know what the rates would be like either but some shopping centres have a higher rate than high st based on the fact that they're a "destination". And Southgate hasn't got enough passing trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

pluse the shopping center is a h&s risk it rains one small drop it turns in to a skating rink

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 beakymon

both gyms are connected, 2 brothers. one of which is father of one of the southgate owners, the other one conveniently is now the bettystown manager. obviously the move was not sudden at all and well planned, hang out till the next standing order date (sept 1st), then close that night and move contents to bettystown. terrible way to treat clients, take the money and run. even when asked on the last day if they were closing was lied to..It seems like the business moved rather than folded due to financial constraints. Personally would have nothing to do with any future ventures any of them are involved in. leopards never lose their spots, apples don't fall far from the tree, once bitten twice shy etc.

Advertisement