Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Southgate Fitness Closed?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 beakymon

Yes, what were the architects thinking! Great design for sunny climes but not drogheda! V impractical leaving trolleys outside and having to push them when wet into supermarket..

Hope a new owner will take it over, put tvs and air conditioning in too. is handy location, but was v stuffy for working out in. always people complining about lack of air and heat in the place. here's hoping...just back from holidays and in serious need of gym! Any more info on re-opening appreciated! Very easy to slip back into bad habits so regular gym going required asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭K nacker

bigneacy wrote: »
    Sorry for asking this here - but the other Southgate thread is in the meath forum and I can't go in there in my Louth GAA jersey.

Is this shopping centre any busier these days? We were having a serious think about opening an outlet there a few months back and put it on the back burner to concentrate on Dublin for a while.

Is the shopping centre still very empty?

A polite reminder guys, please say on topic. This thread was started to expose the underhanded way Southgate fitness did an overnight runner to Integral fitness, leaving there members high and dry and out of pocket :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Sadfred

If people did not try to operate in these trying times we would have no business.
    Surely it is better to try and fail than not to try at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Sadfred wrote: »
    If people did not try to operate in these trying times we would have no business.
    Surely it is better to try and fail than not to try at all...

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

haha nice first post :D

so there's nothing wrong with accepting a years membership off someone and then closing the doors days later?

Id never join any of their gyms after hearing that

Rossin wrote: »
    haha nice first post :D

so there's nothing wrong with accepting a years membership off someone and then closing the doors days later?

Id never join any of their gyms after hearing that
    I Havnt heard of any one that was asked to pay a full years membership before they closed intact when I went into join was told they where only offering monthly or pay as you go?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 irishwarrior

Its an absolute disgrace,and it seems to be a popular theme in drogheda gyms!!! westgate closing on a friday night matrix opens next day no warning to members no refund no pool etc,and i see the young manager of southgate now working in the original integral!!!! emmmm coincidence:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

I Havnt heard of any one that was asked to pay a full years membership before they closed intact when I went into join was told they where only offering monthly or pay as you go?

ah okay sorry, so they were taking a months membership 2 days before closing, still robbery!

Did you work there Sadfred? a friend of the owners? the owner himself?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I'm not a member of any of these gyms and I'm not familiar with any of the owners. If someone accepted my (hard f'king earned!) money while KNOWING that I would never receive what I was paying for - I'd be livid! I would consider that the same as burgling my house or mugging me in the street.

I'd make a big sign up and walk into their office. I'd demand a FULL refund and tell them that I would be picketing their premises and I have reporters from local press/radio on way to take photo's.

Failing that I'm afraid I'd really have to take the law into my own hands. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

ah okay sorry, so they were taking a months membership 2 days before closing, still robbery!

They had 4 standing order dates, could have taken the last one in August and closed but waited until the next date (the 1st of the month), took the money and closed that very night. Disgraceful. Not to mention the blatant promotion of gyms they are now involved in via letter and notice, as if unrelated gyms would entertain disgruntled clients and offer discounts! It is obvious to anyone with half a brain that they pulled a quick one. V sneaky and underhand. I've heard of people paying cash up front in southgate for annual membership in the weeks preceeding this too. Clearly acquiring a new business and staff does not happen overnight, so they knew fine well what they were doing and orchestrated the move from southgate to integral to obtain maximum monies from members. What goes around comes around - you would have to question their business sense. People talk. A lot. Small places like Drogheda and Bettystown are not where one should sh1t on ones doorstep and think they will get away with it! It's a wonder they didn't take over Jackie Skelleys too, turn off the a/c and remove the tvs there too! Need a good gym to open on southside of town with interested and enthusiastic staff, not just all PR and money grabbing and once they get in they don't care, as has been my experience of 3 gyms in the town to date.

beakymon wrote: »

They had 4 standing order dates, could have taken the last one in August and closed but waited until the next date (the 1st of the month), took the money and closed that very night. Disgraceful. Not to mention the blatant promotion of gyms they are now involved in via letter and notice, as if unrelated gyms would entertain disgruntled clients and offer discounts! It is obvious to anyone with half a brain that they pulled a quick one. V sneaky and underhand. I've heard of people paying cash up front in southgate for annual membership in the weeks preceeding this too. Clearly acquiring a new business and staff does not happen overnight, so they knew fine well what they were doing and orchestrated the move from southgate to integral to obtain maximum monies from members. What goes around comes around - you would have to question their business sense. People talk. A lot. Small places like Drogheda and Bettystown are not where one should sh1t on ones doorstep and think they will get away with it! It's a wonder they didn't take over Jackie Skelleys too, turn off the a/c and remove the tvs there too! Need a good gym to open on southside of town with interested and enthusiastic staff, not just all PR and money grabbing and once they get in they don't care, as has been my experience of 3 gyms in the town to date.
    Did not work there and clearly do not have as much information or interest as you. Glad you have so many facts. I was making a comment on socity as a whole and the negitive response posted on these forums. you have missed total fitness and many other gyms that failed in your rantings but I am sure they are all crooks and all set out to fail. What a wonderful place we live in...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Did not work there and clearly do not have as much information or interest as you. Glad you have so many facts. I was making a comment on socity as a whole and the negitive response posted on these forums. you have missed total fitness and many other gyms that failed in your rantings but I am sure they are all crooks and all set out to fail. What a wonderful place we live in...

who cares about the other gyms! southgate has ripped people of as has been stated before your post so if you had have read the whole thread you would have got the picture.

m.j.w wrote: »

who cares about the other gyms! southgate has ripped people of as has been stated before your post so if you had have read the whole thread you would have got the picture.
    Wind yer neck in if you had read it you would find reference to the matrix Neptune integral and jackie skellys. So get back to your Southgate bashing and knock yourself out. Wouldn't want to broaden the thread or look at the bigger picture. Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I was making a comment on socity as a whole and the negitive response posted on these forums.
    You know you are right Sadfred. How DARE these people react is such a way to having their money stolen. What is wrong with you people!?!?!

Scotty # wrote: »
    I was making a comment on socity as a whole and the negitive response posted on these forums.
    You know you are right Sadfred. How DARE these people react is such a way to having their money stolen. What is wrong with you people!?!?!
    Go scotty send the mob and let them hang they must have done this on purpose so burn the harlots and condem them all to hell.....

As K nacker already pointed out:

"A polite reminder guys, please say on topic. This thread was started to expose the underhanded way Southgate fitness did an overnight runner to Integral fitness, leaving there members high and dry and out of pocket."

Whatever happened to attack the post and not the poster! Given the topic of this thread one would not expect there to be positive comments! Here's an idea - perhaps you should consider starting your own thread on whatever it is you do have information and/or interest in. Makes me wonder why you are even posting on this thread...
    TBH I don't see the point of making a general point on society on a very specific thread and then going all OTT...takes all sorts I guess..whatever floats your boat.
    Cool the jets man...and breathe, in the nose and out the mouth, 2 on the way in and 4 on the way out, and relax.

It is with sadness I post this. But yet another gym closes it's doors in Bettystown. The Bettystown Court will close next Thursday. That is Three Gyms in 5 months. I think the problem guys here is bigger than the operators. I am angry that we are losing yet another asset in our community. And it only reinforces my point that we are prehaps too quick to bring out the pitch forks. The answer I dont know, but I am sure this descision was not made in haste. We are losing valuable resources to our community. There are people responsible but I suspect they are landlords county councils and financial institutions. Just my thoughts but hey :mad::mad::mad::mad:

It is with sadness I post this. But yet another gym closes it's doors in Bettystown. The Bettystown Court will close next Thursday. That is Three Gyms in 5 months. I think the problem guys here is bigger than the operators. I am angry that we are losing yet another asset in our community. And it only reinforces my point that we are prehaps too quick to bring out the pitch forks. The answer I dont know, but I am sure this descision was not made in haste. We are losing valuable resources to our community. There are people responsible but I suspect they are landlords county councils and financial institutions. Just my thoughts but hey :mad::mad::mad::mad:

It's not just the gym closing, the hotel is closing for 9 months till May 2012. Apparently seasonal business. Which seems a bit odd considering all their wedding related advertising. By all accounts any reports I've heard from people who have stayed in this hotel or have had weddings there have been terrible and any reviews I have seen have supported this. Just look at tripadvisor. So clearly more at play than just financial considerations. Like any other business customer service, good management and maintenance of high standards are paramount to success and longevity. Given the current economic climate it surprises me that word of mouth in small communities is underrated and business, like common sense, is not so common, but like life what you put in is generally what you get out. As they are part of the Brennan group of hotels rather than an independent operation one would expect higher standards. To relate to current post, I am sure this is good news for Integral/Southgate ears! Now where did I leave my monopoly box...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gcmcollie

Hi,
    I was down in the Bettystown Court Leisure Centre last night and there was no word of it closing. Was it just announced toda? I'm gutted. They really have the best bootcamp around

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Rodger_Muir

gcmcollie wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was down in the Bettystown Court Leisure Centre last night and there was no word of it closing. Was it just announced toda? I'm gutted. They really have the best bootcamp around

I was in there today at three. The staff only found out a hour or so before hand. But UNLIKE SOME OTHER GYMS. They WILL be issuing refunds on memberships Monday and Tuesday of next week. So its only the staff who are losing out. Who by and large with one or two exceptions are great and always helpfull and chatty. Called in to Aura and the Boyne Vally (staying clear of Integral\southgate) this evening. Not overly impressed with Aura. The cardio equipment is state of the art. But there machines and free weights are not so great. I think I'll be joining the Boyne Valley and wont be paying any money up to anyone up front. Looks like direct debts all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

I know staff working there and they knew the hotel was closing ....it will be opening seasonal from now on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Rodger_Muir

Vego wrote: »
    I know staff working there and they knew the hotel was closing ....it will be opening seasonal from now on

My understanding is that they knew the hotel was closing for the season like it did last year. But thought the gym was staying open like it did last year.

Advertisement