Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wordpress Theme recommendation

• 03-09-2011 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm in the process of building a site* and I was recommended to use Wordpress.

Wordpress still seems the way to go for a n00b, but it's not without its frustrations. My site is a commercial site, and I don't want any blog type features (i.e. posts or replies). Every theme (free) I download seems to have a "reply box" of some shape or form on each page that I cannot edit out. I'm happy to pay for a theme, but it could start to get expensive if my free theme download experiences are anything to go by. What I think would be appropriate turns out to be yet another blog theme.

A very brief outline of the website...

Home page will have a header to contain company's logo and tagline.

The rest of the homepage is intended to centre around a video (hope to use a recognisable actress I know through work to front it). And, besides (possibly) an RSS feed, nothing else.

I'll need a few other pages (which will feature as a menu on home page), which intend to be simple, About Us, Mission Statement, Contact Us/Feedback page etc, but then one final product page which will host a number of videos.

So, can anyone recommend a wordpress theme for this?

Will be glad to get to the stage where I can offer it up for review/critique.

*I feel I need to do this myself, as I simply need to know how a website works for the purposes of the business. When the business grows (AND it will) I'll bring in the professionals.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭nager

PM sent

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

All the comment/reply boxes can be edited out if you know where to look in the code. Also you can turn off the ability to comment on posts. Its just a matter of finding the right lines of code in that particular themes files.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Thanks axwell, may need to get down and dirty with the code :-)

Wow that was easier than I thought !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 verticalbones

Graph Paper Press has some beautiful themes for mainly image and video sites.

Wordpress is great, but from what you're saying, you might want to look at services like Virb and Squarespace as well.

Graph Paper Press has some beautiful themes for mainly image and video sites.

Wordpress is great, but from what you're saying, you might want to look at services like Virb and Squarespace as well.

Thanks graph paper express looks to have some workable themes! Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

If you go the Page listing (at www.example.com/wp-admin/edit.php?post_type=page ) you can turn comments off on all pages by doing Select All (tick the top checkbox), then choosing Bulk Action -> Edit, click Apply, then change the dropdown beside "Comments" to "Do not allow".

You can set it to disable them on new posts/pages by unticking "Allow people to post comments on new articles" (found at www.example.com/wp-admin/options-discussion.php ).

If you're looking for themes try Themeforest.net - they've got a massive selection all priced around $35 which is around €25 these days. A lot of themes will support for you're looking for - it's become popular to have either a video or an image slider on the homepage, and should be fairly trivial to swap the slider out when your video is ready.

Thanks Trojan - good to know for the future. I went with the nuclear option this time I..e. delete :)

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭stapolinhosting

smcgiff wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm in the process of building a site* and I was recommended to use Wordpress.

So, can anyone recommend a wordpress theme for this?

Hey smcgiff,

There is a super theme called Graphene which is very flexible, has tons of features and can be changed about as much as you want. I have used it on a few sites... So just to give you an example of a site using Wordpress but not as a blog take a look at http://www.stkents.co.uk

For disabling comments, take a look here http://www.khairul-syahir.com/topics/tutorial/2011/completely-disable-wordpress-comments.html

Anyway, just though I would add my bit there. Best of luck with the new business venture :)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭rustopher

Great I just followed all that about the themes and removing blogs but is there an easy way to create the header ?? I wanted to use a picture but it doesnt fit. Do I need to use paint shop and codes etc?? I am not that familiar but am at this too long now and need to see a result soon or the person relying on me to do it will get fed up waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(:confused:

rustopher wrote: »
    Great I just followed all that about the themes and removing blogs but is there an easy way to create the header ?? I wanted to use a picture but it doesnt fit. Do I need to use paint shop and codes etc?? I am not that familiar but am at this too long now and need to see a result soon or the person relying on me to do it will get fed up waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(:confused:

Hi rustopher,

What WordPress theme are you using?

Each theme can use different sized images for the header logo.

If I know what theme you are using, then I can probably knock up something for you to help you out with it. Or if you want to send me the image your trying to use, i can re-size it for you so it fits in the theme properly.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭rustopher

Really, thats great, I tried a few themes but stuck wit the twenty ten theme as it seemed more basic. I have some pics but not the best quality so will prob take them again, I was just trying to work out how to fit the image for now. My image measurements are much smaller but then I thought would just fit more than one image or can that be done? Maybe I need to plan a design first!!
    Anyway for now I will take a better pic and get back to you on your kind offer! Thanks stapolinhosting!!

rustopher wrote: »
    Really, thats great, I tried a few themes but stuck wit the twenty ten theme as it seemed more basic. I have some pics but not the best quality so will prob take them again, I was just trying to work out how to fit the image for now. My image measurements are much smaller but then I thought would just fit more than one image or can that be done? Maybe I need to plan a design first!!
    Anyway for now I will take a better pic and get back to you on your kind offer! Thanks stapolinhosting!!

Not a problem at all rustopher :)

Let me know when you got to new pics, or if you want to send the ones you have I may be able to make one good bigger one out of a number of smaller ones.

Sent you a PM with my email address.

Advertisement