Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madonna is overrated

Options
  • 03-09-2011 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else agree?

I just feel that she's given far too much credit for being such an average pop star.

She's on line with Britney Spears, Ke$ha and the Spice Girls and all the rest in my opinion. All of them use autotune.

I was also really surprised when I heard the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America) credited her as one of the best rock artists of all time. This doesn't make any sense as Madonna is pop.

The Billboard magazine in 2008 also put her at #2 as one of the top 100 artists of all time, only behind the Beatles. Seriously why couldn't Elvis have been there, he was the king and like the Beatles inspired a whole generation.

I'm sorry for the rant, its not that I hate Madonna. I just don't understand where all her credibility comes from and I don't see how she's as good as people make her out to be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

She is a very astute business lady, who know the music industry backwards

Thiry years is a long career so she must be doing something right

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

The Immaculate Collection is a pretty good album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Out of interest how old are you OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Out of interest how old are you OP?

20 but my aunt who grew up in the 80s also lacks interest in Madonna's music.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

karaokeman wrote: »
    Does anyone else agree?

I just feel that she's given far too much credit for being such an average pop star.

Seems about par for the course in the pop music world. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Madonna, like most artists of her vintage are not relevant to today, although to be honest, she's still a lot better than most of what's in the charts.

Most artists have about 20 years of decent material in them, after that they should focus on a greatest hits tour every five years. Madonna, rolling stones, u2, pet shop boys... They're all the same. However, their careers & back catalogue will long outlive most modern "artists".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 iGenius

Does she write any of her own material? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Madonna wrote a fair amount of her own songs and will be remembered a legend. She's more an "icon" than a musical genius though.

Much like Elvis.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 iGenius

Batesy wrote: »
    Madonna wrote a fair amount of her own songs and will be remembered a legend. She's more an "icon" than a musical genius though.

Much like Elvis.........

Interesting. Has she wrote songs by herself (her best known songs) or is she a 'co-writer' in the same way X-Factor contestants 'write' their own albums?

She had some great pop songs in the 80's/early 90s? Seems pretty irrelevant to me otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Not at all. Britney Spears is overrated, Madonna is on a completely different level. She pushed boundaries and opened a lot of doors, she is truly an icon.

Now I'm not a huge fan of hers or anything but to say otherwise is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

karaokeman, I'm adding "Madonna is overrated." to the list of odd musical opinions that you seem to have ;).

Malice wrote: »
    karaokeman, I'm adding "Madonna is overrated." to the list of odd musical opinions that you seem to have ;).

That thread is full of bull****.
    Melion wrote: »
    U2 make me sad.
    Adyx wrote: »
    *Green Day have one brilliant album followed by two mediocre albums followed by shít. I don't know much from the two albums preceding Dookie.
    guitarzero wrote: »
    I think Muse are rubbish.
    guitarzero wrote: »
    I think Indie bands should be all lined up infront of firing squads.
    Dub Ste wrote: »
    Coldplay,don't understand how these bunch of whingy whining students are so popular,if they were playing in my back yard,i'd release the hounds
    I hate the fcuking Eagles, man
    Geo10 wrote: »
    I think "Baby One More Time" is the catchiest, most epic, genius song of all time.
    I feel Britney Spears is the only artist worth listening to. I listen to her music 24/7.... never any other artist.
    KoL suck.
    retalivity wrote: »
    rem - go die in a fire
    scary wrote: »
    AC/DC are rubbish
    Thin Lizzy even more so
    Blur were better than Oasis.
    John Lennons solo work is pretty dire bar a few.
    francois wrote: »
    Beady Eye are sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

karaokeman wrote: »
    That thread is full of bull****.
    I totally agree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

Who would have thunk it? An unpopular opinion thread - unpopular?

Of course Madonna is overrated, of course she's a pop music 'icon', of course she's sold a lot of records because of her lengthy music career so the industry loves that. She's like having an overbearing, sloppy-kiss happy old aunty who everyone puts up with and has to be nice to because she's rich and gives you 20 euros every time she visits. But when she takes a risk on some other venture you get to bitch about her behind her back and enjoy that grim satisfaction that she isn't perfect...

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/madonnas-crown-slips-mediocre-movie-reviews-104515631.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I seen madonna in concert and iy was one of the best concerts I have ever been to . But I do think she is getting a bit old now oh and I would not put her in the same league as elvis he was and ever shall be the King:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Jason Fly

She was finished when she made the album with william orbit... after that... it's all been business... totally overrated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

A lot of people bought, and still buy, Madonnas albums and singles. Billboard is a chart. They don't decide to make someone number one or number two, they just publish the facts.

Madonna was the first woman I ever fancied by the way. I went off her a little when she got her hair cut for Who's That Girl though. I was a fickle eleven year old.

Madonna was the first woman I ever fancied by the way. I went off her a little when she got her hair cut for Who's That Girl though. I was a fickle eleven year old.

Same as me when I used to fancy Britney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

I agree. Over-rated. A few good pop songs with a lot of filler. Traded more on her controversial transformations than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,017 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He was a great footballer but a useless singer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭WinstonOno

totally agree op, shes a total fame whore, she has used every trick in the book to try and stay at the top. burning crosses in her videos, nuns having sex, a sex book, kissing britney on stage, joining a religion coz its got a designer armband, adopting children. her music has zero identity or development. she just jumped from one music genre to the next. what ever genre was popular at the time, just to ensure she stayed top of the charts. when rock was popular, she was rocky, when country was popular, she was country, when dance music was popular, she was dancier, electro pop, disco, etc,etc. she never led the way for any of these genres becoming popular, but rather jumped on the bandwagon when she saw her chance to sell a few more records, usually hiring a team of song writers and producers from chosen genre to ensure success. even now, she is beginning to use her daughter to ensure the spotlight remains on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭upncmnhistori

The best Madonna songs are the ones she co-wrote with Patrick Leonard the ballad type ones such as 'Live to tell', 'Like a Prayer', 'Oh Father', 'This use to be my playground' and the one that was a tribute to Patrick Leonards daughter 'Dear Jessie'. Madonna from 1984-1998 was good I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

She's a clever woman and very media saavy. I agree she isn't the most talented singer in the world and I'm not really a fan of any of her music (Justify My Love and her cover of I Want You being the exceptions), but she's undoubtedly been a hugely influential pop star and opened a lot of doors for female pop stars who came after her. An icon without doubt and loads of personality, but not a particularly musically talented individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Klaas

She's a multimillion selling artist. She is at the top for nearly 20 years. I don't think she's overrated. Her tracks aren't all that great but she is the queen of pop no matter what. Although in my mind MJ is the ultimate POP artist.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 56,499 ✭✭✭✭walshb

As a singer she is quite ordinary. Very good entertainer. And, many many great and catchy tunes. Overall she deserves plaudits. Top class in her day! Now she's just sad to look at.

Advertisement