Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what provider has good UP speed?

• 03-09-2011 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭

I'm in Cork and I have 8mb/384k. In today's world though with skype and offsite backup etc I find that 8mb down is alright but I'm really limited by the 384k up.

I have been checking around the websites of the various providers but none of them seem to have the up speed posted anywhere. Bar phoning all of them and having to listen through their sales schpiel, anyone here done the research already?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

If you can get cable, go with UPC broadband. We have their basic 25mbit/s package and it's giving us a solid 19-25mbit/s down and 2.5mbit/s up in speedtests.

Also the ping time is great. It's the first time my Blueface (VoIP) phone has sounded like a perfect real phone line.

Quite honestly, there's no comparison with DSL products at all. Cable EuroDOCSIS 2.0 is just vastly superior technology.

Also, if you get it bundled with their phone service, it behaves EXACTLY like a normal phone line. The only differences to eircom seems to be a very slightly different dial tone and pulse-dial is not supported (not that anyone really uses it anymore).

Failing that, you could look at the likes of Smart Telecom who do a 1mbit/s uplink on their DSL if you request it, but just be ware that not all phone lines can support it. If your line is very long e.g. if you're in Cork City and you're only getting max 8mbit/s down, then you're probably on a very long line as it should support up to 24mbit/s on NGB.

When we upgraded our line to 1mbit/s up on Smart, it went totally unstable. We ended up with about 712 up and 13mbit/s down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If you're talking about DSL broadband then all the operators will be exactly the same. That is unless you can get the LLU offering from Smart or Magnet, which has a higher upload.

Cable or Wireless would be your other options, if available.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭dantastic

hmms... I am with Magnet so I'll phone them and see what they can do for me.
    I did check about a year ago with UPC and they were not servicing my area at that time but checking their bundles I'm definitely checking with them again.

As I said, don't need much speed down, it's up mainly that's the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Most DSL providers can do symmetric DSL too which gives you slower download speeds, but much faster uploads. They're usually classified as business products.

You might have more luck with Smart or Magnet than with eircom at getting something like that at a reasonable price.

Otherwise, definitely try UPC!

You might also look at Digiweb's Metro broadband packages:

http://www.digiweb.ie/business/products/connectivity/broadband/metro/

They work using a DOCSIS cable modem over a microwave link. Basically, a little antenna on your roof. No eircom involved and they can bundle in telephone service too.

8 or 10 mbit/s down and 2 mbit/s up on their business packages.

Just beware of the download/transfer caps with wireless. They can be significantly less than cable / DSL.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Wireless operators like Nova Networks in Cork can often do symmetrical packages that crucify eircom on the upload.

• Advertisement
Advertisement