Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you more tempted to do HL maths for extra points?

• 03-09-2011 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

Okay so it has been a few years coming but finally this years 6th years will be getting extra points for higher level maths, would you be more tempted to do HL maths for the extra points or are you going to hedge you bets and spend the time you would've spent studying HL maths studying something else and hopping that'll get you more points?

HL Maths for extra points? 22 votes

I will be doing HL for the extra points.
    0% 0 votes
    I was already going to do HL Maths extra points or not.
    22% 5 votes
    I'm not doing HL maths even with the extra points.
    77% 17 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 FcukRain

Well I'm already doing OL Irish, so I thought I'd aim for HL maths esp with extra points! I'm in fifth year but I might drop down if it gets real tough D:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

HL maths is the shizz. I would have been doing it extra points or not, they just make it extra amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

that's why i'm doing higher level maths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Do the points come in this year or next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Do the points come in this year or next?

As of results when we finish our leaving certs in 2012. But anybody who had sat the leaving cert previously will get the points. But not until next year. I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

Here's my take on the HL bonus points.

Students who do HL maths get 25 points + whatever grade they get above a pass. That's great but it won't really affect people's points/courses with higher points. Say there's 60 places for a course at 550 points. 100 people apply and have all got different maths grades ranging from D's to A's. The bonus points really won't matter as the gaps between the points of different people will still really be the same.

As for lower points courses it will help much more.

Apart from being a small way of gaining extra points, it's really just a way of encouraging people to take up HL maths.

Just my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

It's gonna makes maths pretty much a medicine matriculation requirement, everyone and their mother will be making it at least to the 550 barrier with the 25 extra marks.

But yeah, I've done HL maths already, if I repeat I'll keep it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

jumpguy wrote: »
    It's gonna makes maths pretty much a medicine matriculation requirement, everyone and their mother will be making it at least to the 550 barrier with the 25 extra marks.

But yeah, I've done HL maths already, if I repeat I'll keep it again.

Plus the HPAT will count for an awful lot more. Good results in it will be essential..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Plus the HPAT will count for an awful lot more. Good results in it will be essential..
    Yup, a lot more weight will be put on it as the gap between LC results will decrease with more people getting to 550.

With all the questions around the HPAT now, it's ridiculous to say the least.

Advertisement