Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uncut earth wire for Light Fitting

• 03-09-2011 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Replacing an old light fitting with a new metal one which needs to be earthed.

The old fitting wasn't connected to an earth wire but I can see an uncut earth wire tucked up into the ceiling.

is it alright to cut this and hook it up to the new fitting? The connector on the new fitting only has room for 3 wires what would I do with the extra bit of earth if i cut it?

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

it should be connected assuming it's the cpc(circuit earth)

you won't know for sure without testing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

M cebee wrote: »
    it should be connected assuming it's the cpc(circuit earth)

you won't know for sure without testing

Cheers for the reply. I've gone around the rest of the light fitting in the house and its all the same. Live and Neutral connected and an uncut Earth wire tucked into the ceiling.

I need to earth the metal light fitting so I presume the only way to do that is cut the earth cable and attach it. What should I do with the other end of the earth? Tape it up or ground it somewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Check and see if the uncut earth is a loop by gently pulling as much out of the hole as possible, without pulling it too hard. So if its a loop, and you cut it, both ends now need to be connected to the earth terminal of the fitting so the earth is continous again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

If you cut that wire and both ends are connected to something, how do you know that the end you connect to your light is the one to the earth terminals in the consumer board and not a loop to another light?

You may cut and join a new piece of cable to it and then onto your new light fitting or better still connect both ends of the cut earth cable to the earth terminal on your new light fitting. It should be a safe bet that one end is going back to the consumer board and you're not disconnecting the light on anything else.

If you're in doubt, get someone who knows what they're at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Cheers for the replys lads

its a loop alright I pulled it and another one out from the ceiling as far as it will let me.

Wasn't sure about leaving the Earth wire there on its own so will definitely ensure that its all connected up again.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

If you cut into this earth wire, you need to strip & wrap the two ends back together, then connect into the earth terminal in your fitting, so your not breaking the earth loop. Based on your question it looked like you were going to cut and just connect one end to the light fitting earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Post #4 must be invisible:D

Advertisement