Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

40gr v-max in a 1:8 twist

Options
  • 03-09-2011 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

I'm sure this has been asked before but here goes.
    Has anyone ever tried 40gr v-max in a 1:8 twist?
    I know they're supposed to break up mid flight, but would they manage 300 yards?
    I just want to try a flatter shooting round for a while. I've shot some at 100 yards and they work well enough but I can't try them at long range for a while because there are cattle in my long range zeroing field

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

in .223 is it? i have shot them out of my cz 527 and they preformed very well on foxes, but i think the twist is 1 in 9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

in .223 is it? i have shot them out of my cz 527 and they preformed very well on foxes, but i think the twist is 1 in 9
    Ya sorry I should have said 223. I just tried them out but they are nowhere near as accurate as the 55 grainers.
    They grouped about 0.5" at 100 yards, where as the 55's are grouping less than 0.25", and I was surprised at the drop.
    They seem to be doing 200 to 300 fps less than advertised.
    I zeroed 1" high at 100 yards, it was 1.4" high at 150, bang on at 220, and about 5.5" low at 300. Which is way off advertised speed, if you input the advertised speed into jbm it should only drop 4" at 300.
    The groups at 220 were a little over an inch, and just under 2" at 300. This will be fine for foxing, but I think I would be better off sticking to the 55 grain stuff in future as I only have an extra 2" of drop to deal with at 300, but with 1" groups

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I got 200 53 grain Superformance last week and they are seriously flat shooting out of my 1/8

I got 200 53 grain Superformance last week and they are seriously flat shooting out of my 1/8
    Where did you get them tack?, and what kind of accuracy and drop are you getting from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Expect to get this sort of a grouping from the Hornaday 40gr VMax @300m using a CZ varmint 223 1-9 twist

223at300mcropped-1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

declan1980 wrote: »
    Where did you get them tack?, and what kind of accuracy and drop are you getting from them?

What's you're barrel length?

Advertised velocities will be for a 26" test barrel and warmer weather than this...

Glensman wrote: »
    What's you're barrel length?

Advertised velocities will be for a 26" test barrel and warmer weather than this...
    My barrel is 24", so I was expecting around 100fps less, since I'm getting about 120fps less than advertised from the 55gr stuff. It'll do for foxing but the accuracy wouldn't be enough for long range bunnies.
    I'm seriously considering re-barreling it in .204 when the licence is due for renewal

clivej wrote: »
    Expect to get this sort of a grouping from the Hornaday 40gr VMax @300m using a CZ varmint 223 1-9 twist

223at300mcropped-1.jpg
    What kind of drop do you get at 300 Clive?

My barrel is 24", so I was expecting around 100fps less, since I'm getting about 120fps less than advertised from the 55gr stuff. It'll do for foxing but the accuracy wouldn't be enough for long range bunnies.
    I'm seriously considering re-barreling it in .204 when the licence is due for renewal

Can't see it being worth the hassle...

The accuracy you're getting now is plenty good. :)

Glensman wrote: »
    Can't see it being worth the hassle...

The accuracy you're getting now is plenty good. :)

Well I would consider potentially halving the drop at 300yards, and having less wind drift worth the hassle

• Advertisement

What kind of drop do you get at 300 Clive?

Zero was 1" high @100m. Drop out to the 300m mark was 7" about 9 clicks of up needed to get on target

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Clive would you rate the 40 grain vmax as being better than the 55 grain vmax in the Cz527?

I got them off James Mcbride, but all the dealers have them.

I was holding ~5" over @300 with a 200 yard zero.
    I've only fired a box of them as I have been doing other styles of hunting the last few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

I got them off James Mcbride, but all the dealers have them.

I was holding ~5" over @300 with a 200 yard zero.
    I've only fired a box of them as I have been doing other styles of hunting the last few days

When did you get to test them at 300?

dev110 wrote: »
    When did you get to test them at 300?

D'other day. Not a very scientific test mind you ;)

Clive would you rate the 40 grain vmax as being better than the 55 grain vmax in the Cz527?

I never got to try the 55gr out at 300m that often and then never noted the groups.
    Horses for courses really both will do well at that range. The 40gr will get blown about more in the wind, but it gets to the target faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

D'other day. Not a very scientific test mind you ;)

No pics?? :rolleyes:

The 40gr go very well through the 527 but as clivej says it will get blown around more in wind.
    Fish slapped got a one hole group at 100 yards with them.
    I have never ran them as I always choose the 55gr.

The 40gr go very well through the 527 but as clivej says it will get blown around more in wind.

Only got back from my "Holidays" today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭.243

Only got back from my "Holidays" today.
    lucky for some,

.243 wrote: »
    lucky for some,

Yes, I am lucky. I had a wonderful time in Kerry. I saw two fine Red stags and dozens of Sika females.

I'll be back in Kerry Soon!

• Advertisement

Have you considered using 50gr v-max? 50gr have BT which will raise your BC (relative to ordinary 50gr).

So it will be marginally flatter shooting than the 55 and as good or better in the wind...

50gr v-max is all I am loading for .223 this year, in the spring I'm going to move to 40gr Sierra Blitzking :)

Advertisement