Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a link-in module??

Options
  • 03-09-2011 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hey all :)

Okay, I am really confused as to what exactly a link in module is?
    And also, a little off the point, but how much does it cost to repeat first year? In fees to the college?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

A link-in means you repeat the module(s) you failed only.

Repeating a year costs between €7,000-€9,000 in tuition fees depending on the course. Some are more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Catherinebrn

If I got compensatory fails in 2 subjects but my qca was 1.92, can I just link-in one module or do I have to do both?

Thanks for the reply btw

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If you email Aoife on SUEducation@ul.ie she should be able to answer that one for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Depends on your QCA. If repeating (and thus being capped at a C3) one and getting a better grade brings you above 2.0, you'd only have to do one.
    I think that's unlikely though and you'd probably have to repeat both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 emmalm

I just got my results, and did quite bad. my QCA is well under 2, and i failed 5. Is there any way I could repeat 4 and then do the 5th one as a link-in module?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

emmalm wrote: »
    I just got my results, and did quite bad. my QCA is well under 2, and i failed 5. Is there any way I could repeat 4 and then do the 5th one as a link-in module?

You should probably contact SAA or our student adviser tbh. In theory you should be able to do what you suggest, but the Student Status Committee may have decided you are required to repeat the Semester/Year.

Not knowing your particular situation (extenuating circumstances or what-have-you) I think you need to ask yourself is the course you're in for you. I'm going to assume you're in first year, in which case failing 5 modules is a huge indicator that you either don't care enough about what you're studying to last in the course long term or you're just not cut out for it. Repeating and scraping by only to fail second year again is just a waste of time and money and you'd be far better served transferring courses or something than just sticking with it for the sake of it.

Best of luck with it though. Hope it works out for you. :)

Advertisement