Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragon Quest X announcement on Monday

Options
  • 03-09-2011 2:43pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.1up.com/news/dragon-quest-game-revealed-sunday-night

Can't wait to see what it is. It's still coming to Wii it seems but they might change it to a WiiU game, you never know. I just hope it comes out in Europe or at least has an english language version available somewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

knowing Square it could very well be DQ 11 announcment since they say the conference will unveil the 'next Dragon Quest' and 10 has been announced already ;)

in all seriousness, hopefully it's 10 and we'll see in game footage. I wonder about the platform they'll release it on. They might seem inclined to switch it to either 3DS or PS3 judging by abyssal sales of The Last Story or Xenoblade Chronicles. I'm not too bother though, since I've got a PS3, PSP, 3DS and Wii so as long as they don't make it an Xbox 360 exclusive (an idiotic decision to say the least) or Vita exclusive I should be fine :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I very much doubt Nintendo will let the franchise go to a rival console considering how much effort and money they have put into promoting the games especially in the West. It's more a question of which system will it appear on. I'm pretty sure it's the Wii since Nintendo have been adament that it's coming to the Wii and the history of Dragon Quest games arriving late in a consoles life and only appearing on the most popular system which at the moment is the Wii. However, getting Dragon Quest X on the WiiU will ensure Nintendo have the japanese market sown up, however Yuji Hori and Square might not be too keen on that.

I agree, although wasn't VIII on the PS2 as well? To be honest Wii doesn't seem to be able to sell JRPGs or even more hard core titles (like Pandora's Tower proved just a few weeks ago), so that's why I'm thinking a console switch can be likely. If that was the case I'd say 3DS would get it, since I've heard that porting Wii games onto 3DS is simple if you don't include the 3D effect, of course, and nintendo has gone on record saying that some 3DS games will not be using 3D. Having said that it's all just speculation and the game will probably be released on the Wii

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mario007 wrote: »
    I agree, although wasn't VIII on the PS2 as well? To be honest Wii doesn't seem to be able to sell JRPGs or even more hard core titles (like Pandora's Tower proved just a few weeks ago), so that's why I'm thinking a console switch can be likely. If that was the case I'd say 3DS would get it, since I've heard that porting Wii games onto 3DS is simple if you don't include the 3D effect, of course, and nintendo has gone on record saying that some 3DS games will not be using 3D. Having said that it's all just speculation and the game will probably be released on the Wii

DQVII was on PS1 and DQVIII were PS2 and they arrived late in their life cycle and both were the most popular console at the time. Nintendo has published DQ9 in all territories and took over publishing of DQ6 in Europe and will be publishing Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 in all territories. They've been heavily promoting all the games they have published especially DQ9.

As for the Wii not being able to sell hardcore RPG games, you forget that in Japan that Dragon Quest is far from hardcore. It's like Call of Duty here except even more popular. Kids and teens will snap it up and it's usually the only game that adults will buy since it's hugely nostalgic for them. It's better off on the Wii due to the massive amounts of Wii's in households. The PS3 and 360 are not popular in japan and it won't get released on either of them. You have to remember DQX is going to sell way more copies in Japan than the rest of the world combined. If there's any console it will jump to it will be the PSP but I'm sure the game has been nintendo funded so it's not going to happen.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    DQVII was on PS1 and DQVIII were PS2 and they arrived late in their life cycle and both were the most popular console at the time. Nintendo has published DQ9 in all territories and took over publishing of DQ6 in Europe and will be publishing Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 in all territories. They've been heavily promoting all the games they have published especially DQ9.

As for the Wii not being able to sell hardcore RPG games, you forget that in Japan that Dragon Quest is far from hardcore. It's like Call of Duty here except even more popular. Kids and teens will snap it up and it's usually the only game that adults will buy since it's hugely nostalgic for them. It's better off on the Wii due to the massive amounts of Wii's in households. The PS3 and 360 are not popular in japan and it won't get released on either of them. You have to remember DQX is going to sell way more copies in Japan than the rest of the world combined. If there's any console it will jump to it will be the PSP but I'm sure the game has been nintendo funded so it's not going to happen.

I suppose I am forgetting the DQ factor in Japan. As I've said it will probably come to the Wii after all, I just love to speculate sometimes :D Although, if it is coming to the Wii then it should be out within the next year, as I can't see S-E releasing a game on the Wii after the Wii U is launched.

Also just for the record PS3 isn't really unpopular in Japan, it has around 7 milion units sold in that territory and is selling 30k a week now with the price cut. The Wii is higher but only by around 2-3 million. But this is just a side-note and nothing to with the original topic of this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Do we know it's actually X? If it is, it's not going to jump platform. The reason the wii is failing is because everyone who wanted one has one. This is only a plus for dragon quest.

megaten wrote: »
    Do we know it's actually X? If it is, it's not going to jump platform. The reason the wii is failing is because everyone who wanted one has one. This is only a plus for dragon quest.

well SE said that they'll talk about the 'next DQ' game...so it should be DQ X, although they could troll us with XI announcement instead :P

Ok so it's coming to Wii and Wii U. It's an online rpg, in the sense that instead of controlling 4 characters you only control 1 and others are controlled by players online. You can log out, however, and finish the game offline if you want.

The Wii U version will be graphically superior. It seems DQ series will stay with Nintendo for a while as even Iwata spoke at the event. There will be some form of interconnectivity with the 3DS.

The game is being developed internally by SE, first time in a long time, but it under careful watch of DQ father.It will be out in 2012.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/09/05/dqx_wii_and_wiiu/

Hmm... I don't like the online stuff really but if it's optional then ok. Also I do like that one of the creators of the underrated Nier is on board.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Kotaku suggests a 'pay to play' fee will be necessary: http://kotaku.com/5837325/dragon-quest-x-has-a-subscription-fee

But I think Monster Hunter III had that too but they did away with it for the Western release.

Nice round up off info on siliconera.

Not too sure what I think yet: I guess it was going that way given the heavy online emphasis of DQIX, but I still like my RPGs heavily single-player. We'll wait and see.

On the other hand, slime meat buns. Huzzah! Coming to a convenience store near you. If you live in Japan that is.

• Advertisement

I kind of like my dragon quest... well dragon questy. I'll give this the benefit of the doubt though. I'm not a fan of online so hoping it's a good single player experience.

Hmm... I don't like the online stuff really but if it's optional then ok. Also I do like that one of the creators of the underrated Nier is on board.

From all reports when the say single player the mean it in the sense of soloing an mmo.

I kind of like my dragon quest... well dragon questy. I'll give this the benefit of the doubt though. I'm not a fan of online so hoping it's a good single player experience.

to me, it sounds kinda like IX with the online elements and all. Still could be proper MMO since Wada did mention they had one more MMO in works back at the last quarterly meeting of SE shareholders.

It'd be interesting to see a first in house DQ and also how SE will bounce back from the failed launched of FF 14 (although that game was pretty much outsourced big time, so really we should compare this to FF 11). Also it'll be interesting to see the online play on a Nintendo system since MH3 doesn't really have a very good online world

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Confirmed that only a 'few' hours will be playable offline and the majority will demand an internet connection.

Must...retain...cautious...optimism...

Confirmed that only a 'few' hours will be playable offline and the majority will demand an internet connection.

Must...retain...cautious...optimism...

to be honest online games can have great and engaging stories (if that's what you're looking for) if done right (look at Guild Wars for an example)

Ouch, poor Japan: http://www.siliconera.com/2012/04/25/dragon-quest-x-goes-online-in-august-30-day-subscription-fee-costs-1000-yen/

Game requires a 16GB drive to play, and a 1,000 yen (10 euro) subscription fee every month (buy three months and save 100 yen :pac:). Really feel bad for Japan and their game costs sometimes.

And you just know, if it's Dragon Quest or Monster Hunter, people will pay it and love it.

I'd imagine the game will be free online if it's ever released here, though.

I can't see that link but a 16GB drive? on the Wii? Wonder how that works.

I can't see that link but a 16GB drive? on the Wii? Wonder how that works.

You plug it into it presumably.

Yup, two handy USB ports at the back!

As siliconera state, there'll be a more expensive edition of the game that comes with a 16GB pen drive, but you can use any stick/drive if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I am really hoping there's no subscription fee here, or I won't be buying it. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Gloam

Doubting more and more that this will come to the West. Pre-ordered the Japanese version the other day, so hopefully it won't be IP blocked. Anyone else do the same? I think if we do see DQX on consoles it'll be on Wii U.

Paying japanese game prices with the storng yen (80-100 euro) for a game I won't be able to get past the language barrier on isn't something I plan on doing.

Advertisement