Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Best Live albums...

Options
  • 03-09-2011 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on what are the best live albums?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Rory Gallagher - Irish Tour, Live in Europe. The works of a genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Loads of em - all hard rock, cos live rocking is better than studio rocking:)

UFO - Strangers in the Night
    Deep Purple - Made in Japan
    Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive
    Queen - Live Killers
    The Who - Live at Leeds
    loads more

Great opening track for a live album

Of course many will shake their heads and murmur dark words about overdubs but while I'm sure its been polished up it works perfectly as Summery arena show for all the rock family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

How The West Was Won by Led Zeppelin

Live & Dangerous by Thin Lizzy

Unplugged by Nirvana

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

4 Way Street by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young

Also Caught Live Plus Five by the Moody Blues

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

Queen - Rock Montreal, it is pretty close to perfection if you ask me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Jason Fly

Judas Priest - Unleashed in the East

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Daft Punk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Jethro Tull - A Little Light Music

+1 for Rory's Irish Tour 74

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Bruce Springsteen Live in Dublin is pretty damn awesome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Bob Dylan Live 1966
    Bob Dylan Live 1975

A must for any music collection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

John Cale: Fragments of a Rainy Season
    A masterclass one man show featuring a career-spanning setlist. Not a bad place to start for anyone unfamiliar with Cale's solo output.
    Depeche Mode: 101
    Wherein four electropop kids from Essex become unlikely US arena-fillers. The audience singalong of Everything Counts is magical stuff.
    Genesis: Live Over Europe 2007
    Superb album from their all too brief reunion tour. Worth it for Daryl Stuermer's Firth of Fifth solo and the magnificent Second Home by the Sea.
    Elton John: 17-11-70
    Those who dismiss Elton as a boring balladeer need to hear this. A three man band (Dee Murray and Nigel Olsson on bass and drums, respectively) play a tight, intuitive set. Pretty much the template for Ben Folds Five.
    Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense
    Art rock favourites deliver consistent set of effortlessly likeable, rhythmic pop. Tom Tom Club almost steal the show.
    The Who: Live at Leeds
    Usually at the top of all such lists (unless, like me, you prefer alphabetical order), this needs no justification.
    Wilco: Kicking Television - Live in Chicago
    Excellent recording of a band at the top of their game. The only downside is that Nels Cline's (arguably) finest solo (Impossible Germany) didn't appear until their next album, so isn't here.
    Neil Young and Crazy Horse: Weld
    Neil's best live album, an incendiary racket of blistering guitar. No wistful, acoustic stuff here.
    Warren Zevon: Learning to Flinch
    Another one man show, culled from several solo shows. Is this, in fact, the best twelve-string guitar record?

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

AC/DC - If You Want Blood You've Got It
    Ozzy Osbourne - Tribute
    Dio - Live at Donnington 1983 & 1987
    Saw Doctors - Live in Galway
    The Answer - 412 Days of Rock and Roll

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Whitesnake : Live in the heart of the city
    Dire Straits : Alchemy
    Eagles : Hell freezes over
    David Gilmour : Live in Gdansk
    Lynyrd Skynyrd : One more for the road
    Rolling Stones : Flashpoint
    Pink Floyd : Is there anybody out there, The Wall live
    Roger Waters : In the flesh
    Thin Lizzy : Still dangerous
    Paul McCartney : Good evening New York
    Stevie Ray Vaughan : Live alive

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 verticalbones

Some real classics mentioned above ... mine may never be mentioned in another best live album list, but I find myself keep coming back to:

Jeff Buckley - Live at Sin-é >> Would love to know what he'd be getting up to had he not died prematurely
    Prince - Small Club - Second Show that Night >> Incredible bootleg. If you haven't heard him play guitar live, the 13 minute instrumental jam that kicks off the set proves he's a guitar great. Shame he hasn't released anything solid in nearly two decades.
    Ani DiFranco - Living in Clip >> Think what you will. My introduction to one of my favourite female artists. She shines with a band behind her.
    Rodrigo y Gabriela - Live in Japan
    Primus - Tommy the Cat (Live) - Rhinoplasty >> Yeah, not a live album, but an epic track.

Advertisement