Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mature male Primary School Teacher

• 03-09-2011 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi all,

I would love to become a primary school teacher, i have been working in the pharmaceutical business for a long time and need to repeat my Irish to get Primary teaching. I got a D1 in leaving cert but i know i can study hard and pass.

Is there a need for male primary school teachers in Ireland? the UK are urgently looking for them.

If i was to repeat what is the best way about doing it. Enrol in a classroom environment or get grinds regularly?

Secondary School teaching does interest me but there are very few jobs in science and maths etc.. Open University has some good PGCE courses in secondart but not Primary.

Let me know your ideas or views.....

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Gilroy wrote: »
    Is there a need for male primary school teachers in Ireland? the UK are urgently looking for them.

If i was to repeat what is the best way about doing it. Enrol in a classroom environment or get grinds regularly?

Secondary School teaching does interest me but there are very few jobs in science and maths etc.. Open University has some good PGCE courses in secondart but not Primary.

Let me know your ideas or views.....
    Sorry, but you say this as if male teachers are qualified in a different way, almost that they teach different subjects. I used to hear the 'men will walk into a primary job' line a lot, but tbh I think a lot of that is gone. And a lot of people who say it aren't really linked to the system at all. Principals have their pick and choose of applicants for jobs, and while gender may come into *some* of their heads while doing it, they're not going to hire somebody because of their anatomical endowments.

And by the way, speaking as a male primary teaching student, I'd love to believe that what you said is true:pac:.
    Different things will work for different people... One to one tuition would be a good help if you need to start with basics.

Disclaimer: There are no jobs in primary teaching, and many would say that you are crazy to leave a good job for it (I feel like I need to add this to every post in this forum:rolleyes:).

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Gilroy

Thanks for the feedback. Not trying to say that male teachers are better at all, only want to find best route to become a primary teacher.

I would study my Irish part time and work 8-5pm everyday. Just want to get teaching as i have a new born baby and really want to spend some better quality time with her and not working all the time.

Good job really isn't everything!! Family time is everything to me. To achieve this then i can only see myself in a teaching position.

I know there arent many jobs out there currently but if your willing to work hard and be determined to find work then something will pop up.

Bascially what is the fastest route into Primary Teaching????

Leaving cert irish + hibernia or Leaving cert irish plus + St Pats

Really need some help here............... Thanks:D

Thanks for the feedback. Not trying to say that male teachers are better at all, only want to find best route to become a primary teacher.
    That's fine. I don't think anybody believes they are better teachers, it's just they add a bit of variety:rolleyes:.
    Good job really isn't everything!! Family time is everything to me. To achieve this then i can only see myself in a teaching position.
    Does that mean you are entering it for the short days and holidays? Be prepared for a bit too much family time when you qualify and start job hunting, and inevitably not as much free time as you thought if and when you secure a post.

TBH I don't think that the free time is a good reason to choose the profession at all.

Have you a level 8 honours degree? Hibernia is now 2 years. St. Pats isn't the only college you can do the postgrad in (there are three others). The non-hibernia colleges are currently 18 months for the postgrad, but by the time you have achieved your C3 are likely to be 2 years in length as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

I would study my Irish part time and work 8-5pm everyday. Just want to get teaching as i have a new born baby and really want to spend some better quality time with her and not working all the time.

I know there arent many jobs out there currently but if your willing to work hard and be determined to find work then something will pop up.

go volunteer in a primary school for a few days beacuse the reasons listed above are NOT good reasons to get into teaching.because all i am reading is - i want to become a teacher quickly, even though i dont think its a good job but basically because i get lots of time off.

for a better persepective have a look at the educationposts.ie site where you will see posts from people who cant spend the time they want with their kids because they are either studying hard to pass the course, at their wits end due to teaching practice, struggling to get by on the dole while applying for non-existent jobs or struggling to plan and prepare notes for over crowded and under-resourced classes.

if you have a level 8 degree the quickest option would be to repeat your irish and do post grad through hibernia or in one of the teacher training colleges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Tulip11

I agree with Afkasurfjunkie.....going into teaching for the "perks" is a bit of a delusion imo.

I'm leaving a really well paid, permanent position in the pharma industry to go back as a mature student....not a decision I took lightly given the current job prospects for graduates but it's something I'd wanted to do since doing the LC many years ago.

To be honest it was the few days I spent doing teaching observation that really convinced me this was something I wanted to do...so get into a class to see what it's really like.

You say you're also working in Pharma...depending on whether you're office or production based there may be options to work from home. I know many pharma companies where employees can avail of this....thereby cutting down on commuting times on Fridays and getting a bit of a long weekend to spend with family etc. It's something that's going to become the norm I think so maybe you should investigate any opportunities such as this before you make any decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

It's something you will seriously have to think about. Jobs are becoming more and more scarce, class sizes bigger, resources (not that there ever were many) are harder to come by and wages are being cut. I'm due to finish Hibernia in May and it looks like it will be the departure lounge of Cork Airport rather than my own classroom that I'll be walking into after graduation. I don't have a family of my own, so it's not a worry - I'm really looking forward to it actually. But if you have a kid, it's definitely not going to be as easy for you to do this.

You mention you're a mature guy looking to do it. Going by the fact that your child is only newborn, I'd say you'd be in the younger half of the students if my Hibernia year is anything to go by. :) There's a few men and women I met in the spell in the Gaeltacht who would be in their fifties doing the course, so don't let age put you off at all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭raytray

The Institute in Education on Leeson St does a night course (Wed evenings I think) in Leaving Cert Irish. The purpose of the course is for people to gain at least a C3 in honours Irish and most people that do the course intend on doing primary teaching. It is expensive but the notes you get are worth it and if you keep up with the work and do everything the teacher says you should get the honour.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Gilroy, you may not be aware of many extras that teachers have to do.

Corrections will take an age if you have any class from 2nd up.

Younger classes take huge amounts of organisation.

Preparation of classes/schemes of work/weekly notes/IEPs must all be done on your own time.

Croke Park agreement means at least an extra hour after school per week on top of everything else.

All parent teacher meetings and staff meetings are now after 3. Sacraments, concerts,carol services,fundraising events,matches etc. are all on your own time too.

Don't be fooled by the 9-3 idea.

You say you have a small child,this probably means that you are tied to a certain area. if you were "footloose and fancy free" you would be able to travel for subbing.By limiting your area you limit your sub prospects(which is all you will have for a good while, looking at the huge numbers of experienced teacher who are unemployed. )Being male used to mean it was easier to get a job but not any more.You need to go into the job for the right reasons, not for the holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

I have a question about a similar query.
    I have just completed a level 5 in childcare and plan to get into early childhood education,what I plan next is to do the 18 month postgrad to become a primary teacher will that be okay will they ask for any irish bakcground as I have done ordinary irish for th leaving certificate which I got a B2 in it?

You cannot do the postgrad in primary teaching without both
    - a level 8 degree
    - a C3 in Honours Irish (or equivalent)

There's no way around those two requirements. So as you currently stand you would not be able to enter the course.

May I ask why you want to do a primary teaching degree to get into early childhood education?

• Advertisement

I currently dont hold a level 8 so Im hoping to do early childhood education then apply to the postgrad in primary education

You would be better off doing a B.Ed (a 3/4 year undergrad degree in primary teaching) as a mature student, if you are over 23. Are you?

You'd still need Honours Irish, but that aside it would be quicker to do than an unrelated degree and then a postgrad, which is what you're currently suggesting.

dambarude wrote: »
    You would be better off doing a B.Ed (a 3/4 year undergrad degree in primary teaching) as a mature student, if you are over 23. Are you?

You'd still need Honours Irish, but that aside it would be quicker to do than an unrelated degree and then a postgrad, which is what you're currently suggesting.
    Im only 19 and I jsut looked at the cao what fetac courses you would need to apply to certain college and I think it was marino which accepted the course that I have just completed,so it possible to apply and not be asked about what I got in irish?

*I emailed the colleges of education but no reply yet*

ayumi wrote: »
    Im only 19 and I jsut looked at the cao what fetac courses you would need to apply to certain college and I think it was marino which accepted the course that I have just completed,so it possible to apply and not be asked about what I got in irish?

*I emailed the colleges of education but no reply yet*
    No. It would be a major cock up on their behalf if they never sought and received proof that you have a HL C3 in Irish. It won't happen. And you shouldn't be looking for it to happen.

Bear in mind that the requirement is there for a reason - you will be responsible for teaching many children the language if you end up entering the profession.

Many people repeat Irish every year just to get the C3, have you thought about doing it yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kobiog

Hi,

I also have to get the Irish requirement in order to do the post grad in teaching. I was going to repeat my leaving cert irish in 2012 however after lots of research and great advice from the people at Gaelchultur.ie all post grad primary degrees will accept the TEG Irish programme at level B2 for the requirement. look up www.teg.ie for all the information. There are lots of places that will do the course work with you for the exam one night a week. Classes are under 20e and to sit the exam is 150e normally in April. exam is set up in four sections. You can get more details on the website along with course material and sample exam papers.

I am only starting into this myself and am very overwhlemed. Haven't done irish in years and only did pass for my leaving cert. it is a huge mountain to climb but there is so much help out there. The people in the rathchairn gaelthacht in county Meath are so helpful so if you live close by look up their websites www.athbui.com and www.rathchairn.net where there are lists of conversation evenings and classes.

Good Luck to us all!!!!! any advice anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated xx

• Registered Users Posts: 5 paddywhacky

I am also considering going back as a mature student. Having worked with kids part time the last few years I know this is the path for me. Now at 24 I feel I am ready for college after completing my trade.
    Questions . Requirments:
    I know I need a C3 in HL irish which i am currntly working on, i only did ordinary for the leaving in which I got a B2.
    I have a B2 and C1 in maths and english respectively in Ordinary Level. I only did 1 hnours subject which has now come back to haunt me for my laziness. What are the exact LC requirements needed for a mature student?. I read that I need 3 higher level subjects including irish and the other requirements for maths and english. Is this correct?.
    2. What other option is there without reduing the whole L.C?..

Cheers guys. your help will take a load off my mind.

Requirements are:
    Minimum Grade C Higher Level Irish
    Min Grade D Ordinary or higher Maths
    Min Grade C Ordinary or higher English

Check out this link:
    http://hiberniacollege.com/schoolofeducation/h-dip-in-arts-in-primary-education/entry-requirements/

If you need to you can repeat the 3 subjects at Leaving Cert no problem but if you have the pass in ordinary level english and maths you can do the TEG Irish exam level B2 for the Irish requirement instead of resitting the Irish LC. Look www.teg.ie for this info. Can you do it as a post Grad or is it the 3 year course?

Also to my knowledge they are the only requirements you need so don't worry about having other honours subjects. Once you have the above 3 you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Zag2

Hi Kobiog would Teg be enough for entry to St Pats BA of eductaion? Where would I look to find somewhere that does this course? And why did you choose to do Teg instead og the Leaving Cert?

Sorry for all the questions but I too am hoping to get a C3 in Irish. I am 35 and have an awful lot of work to do. I got a D3 in HL leaving cert 17 years ago! So i have a lot of work to do.

Good Luck to You.

Zag

Zag2 wrote: »
    Hi Kobiog would Teg be enough for entry to St Pats BA of eductaion? Where would I look to find somewhere that does this course? And why did you choose to do Teg instead og the Leaving Cert?

Sorry for all the questions but I too am hoping to get a C3 in Irish. I am 35 and have an awful lot of work to do. I got a D3 in HL leaving cert 17 years ago! So i have a lot of work to do.

Good Luck to You.

Zag
    Well I did the leaving cert in 2010 and got B2 ord ,I now have forgetten all the irish I learned for 11 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 paddywhacky

thanks kobiog...
    The teg course sounds like a good option. Do they accept it in colleges? I would be looking at going into mary I for the 3 years as I am in Limerick. My dilemma is I need to go to austrailia to work for 5 months to fund myself. I will be back in Febuary. Would it be ambitious to go back then and do the Irish?.

• Advertisement

yes all the colleges accepted the TEG at B2 level for the irish requirement. Look at this link on the www.teg.ie website for all the FAQ's http://www.teg.ie/english/faq.htm

Reason I am picking to do the TEG over the LC is that it is more adult based. Not for teenagers. I can relate to it more therefore find it easier to learn. I am 31. plus in the TEG you don't have to do a novel or poetry. It is broken up into 4 sections. 25% for oral, 25% for aural, 25% written and 25% written comprehension. You can download a sample exam paper on the teg.ie website so you can have a look at what is expected of you. look this link http://www.teg.ie/english/sample_papers.htm remember its the B2 level you need to look at.

I have just started doing this. I am either going to do the class in Maynooth for the B2 or in Rathchairn meath. The organisers did say to me they would recommend starting in the B1 class but that would take me 2 years and i don't have the time. I need to get this Irish to apply for the post grad next Oct 2012 so it really is going to be hard work. I have started myself by buying collins verb and grammar book and just started learning verbs off my heart. I also download mp3 file from www.talkirish.com look this link http://talkirish.com/mp3-irish-course/. I find this really helpful as I listen to it everyday when driving or walking or excerising. And the english of it comes up on the screen of my ipod which is great as I think the biggest problem with learning Irish is they tend to teach it through Irish which is so silly as how am i meant to learn it when I don't under stand it!!! In order to achieve this I think it really needs at least 2-3 hours study a day.

Places doing the TEG courses are on this link http://www.teg.ie/english/course_centres.htm

and also NUI Maynooth
    http://www.nuim.ie/language/evening/info.shtml
    They start in Maynooth 26th Sep and I think most others will start next week so get the skates on if you think its for you.

Paddywhacky I do think it would be ambitious as the exam for the TEG is normally end of April so that is really only giving you 7 weeks to cover the course and remember they don't recommend you do the B2 in one year unless you can basically give it everyday study. Good Luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

kobiog wrote: »
    I think the biggest problem with learning Irish is they tend to teach it through Irish which is so silly as how am i meant to learn it when I don't under stand it!!!

Just as a heads up for you, when you eventually qualify as a primary school teacher and get a job, you'll be expected to teach Irish through Irish.

I think the biggest problem with learning Irish is they tend to teach it through Irish which is so silly as how am i meant to learn it when I don't under stand it!!!

Just as a heads up for you, when you eventually qualify as a primary school teacher and get a job, you'll be expected to teach Irish through Irish.[/Quote

Yeah you're right they do train you to teach through Irish and expect it of you. Still dont agree with it. Should be taught as a forigen language in my opinion and we'd all beable to speak except for the fluent speakers of course. And there probably very little chance getting a job anyways but at least doing something constructive with my time and degree.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Just as a heads up for you, when you eventually qualify as a primary school teacher and get a job, you'll be expected to teach Irish through Irish.[/Quote

Yeah you're right they do train you to teach through Irish and expect it of you. Still dont agree with it. Should be taught as a forigen language in my opinion and we'd all beable to speak except for the fluent speakers of course. And there probably very little chance getting a job anyways but at least doing something constructive with my time and degree.
    Wouldn't advise saying this if you do get an interview. Teaching a language through the language is recognised as the best way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Zag2

Hi Kobiog thank you for sharing all your advise and information. I am in the same boat as you. But I am afraid I am confused.

I rang Rathcairn and they are holding a B2 Teg course this Monday and I could register. Great I thought!

I then rang St Pats just to make sure that they would accept this and the lady who was very helpful said "No" and that she had never heard of the course. She said the only other acceptable levels of Irish (apart from Leaving cert) are on the department of education web site http://www.education.ie in Primary Teaching for Mature Students.

Don't know what to do now and time is running out.
    I did recheck the Teg web site and it does say that a B2 will get you into teaching but this isn't mentioned on the Dep of Ed site.
    Maybe its just the course in Maynooth MUI that is acceptable.

Crossed wires somewhere probably mine. But if you could let me know what you think I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
    Zag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Paddytheplaster

yes all the colleges accepted the TEG at B2 level for the irish requirement. Look at this link on the www.teg.ie website for all the FAQ's http://www.teg.ie/english/faq.htm

Reason I am picking to do the TEG over the LC is that it is more adult based. Not for teenagers. I can relate to it more therefore find it easier to learn. I am 31. plus in the TEG you don't have to do a novel or poetry. It is broken up into 4 sections. 25% for oral, 25% for aural, 25% written and 25% written comprehension. You can download a sample exam paper on the teg.ie website so you can have a look at what is expected of you. look this link http://www.teg.ie/english/sample_papers.htm remember its the B2 level you need to look at.

I have just started doing this. I am either going to do the class in Maynooth for the B2 or in Rathchairn meath. The organisers did say to me they would recommend starting in the B1 class but that would take me 2 years and i don't have the time. I need to get this Irish to apply for the post grad next Oct 2012 so it really is going to be hard work. I have started myself by buying collins verb and grammar book and just started learning verbs off my heart. I also download mp3 file from www.talkirish.com look this link http://talkirish.com/mp3-irish-course/. I find this really helpful as I listen to it everyday when driving or walking or excerising. And the english of it comes up on the screen of my ipod which is great as I think the biggest problem with learning Irish is they tend to teach it through Irish which is so silly as how am i meant to learn it when I don't under stand it!!! In order to achieve this I think it really needs at least 2-3 hours study a day.

Places doing the TEG courses are on this link http://www.teg.ie/english/course_centres.htm

and also NUI Maynooth
    http://www.nuim.ie/language/evening/info.shtml
    They start in Maynooth 26th Sep and I think most others will start next week so get the skates on if you think its for you.

Paddywhacky I do think it would be ambitious as the exam for the TEG is normally end of April so that is really only giving you 7 weeks to cover the course and remember they don't recommend you do the B2 in one year unless you can basically give it everyday study. Good Luck

Lads, I agree that the TEG B2 would be the ideal solution fr adult learners rather than the LC. However, TEG B2 looks though and the LC has changed this year, it is now 40% oral and 10% aural. Poetry and play have a diminishing percentage so it is possible to get the C3 easier now than ever. I would be careful in jumping into TEG B2 as this might be just too intense and the LC as awful as it is might still be the better option in gaining that valuable qualification for the post grad. Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Getting into teaching isn't a great option at the moment. Thousands of teachers are unemployed. Pay has been cut and will undoubtedly be cut further after CP agreement ends after 2014. Pensions for new entrants will be worth much less despite a lot of your wage being paid into them. The courses are very demanding. It's a great job if you enjoy the teaching and get a kick out of it. But it can be stressful especially if you have discipline issues and several levels of ability in the class. The great thing about it is the holidays. They are super and you have the best times of the year off. If you have a 'pull' well then getting a job may not be a difficulty. Many people secure employment that way. But if you don't be prepared for upto five years or more waiting for a phone to ring to secure a single day of subbing. It can get very demoralising. The job is very good IF you are permanent. But by god there can be a hell of a lot of hurdles to jump before you get there. Btw being a fella isn't the help it once was. More and more principals are females and having a male on the staff may not be a big issue for them.
    There are no guarantees of jobs out there. Schools are receiving 500 or more applicants for a single job. If you really want to do it, go for it, but be prepared for a long hard slog.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Hatchet89

Have ye heard anything about applications for Postgrad primary education for 2012? Most universities don't seem to have updated their information from last years applications. Is the course even running next February?

The unis probably don't know the answer to that question themselves yet. The DES has to sanction them every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Hatchet89

Ya I thought that alright but aren't they leaving it later than usual? If they decide to offer the course the application deadline is normally early December

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sasweeney

Hi all, looking for some advice, I did my irish HL in June, only go D1! Unfortunate! I cant decide whether to go back to the institute and do it again, or give the TEG a go. I did struggle in the institute, but dont know if I should just stick with the devil I know as I really want to get my place in Sept! So TEG or LC again??

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭brónaim cád??

The only long term job that any teachers finishing in the next few years will get will be over seas. Irish teachers have travelled all around the world the last few years. I'm in the Middle East now. It's fine when you've no ties but it'd be a different story if you were married with kids.

Advertisement