Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

243 build

Options
  • 03-09-2011 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

tks for help!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

by all accounts only one man, Fergal White

http://www.irelandcustomrifle.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

As above ,paulo in this site just got a .243 built some weeks ago by Fergal White .Wont go wrong there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

tomcat220t wrote: »
    As above ,paulo in this site just got a .243 built some weeks ago by Fergal White .Wont go wrong there ;)

Myself and paulo were out over the past few days ith his .243 Sako/Truflite .243.

Seriously accurate, 1 hole groups @100 yards and 1/2" at 200 with Factory ammo

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Bad press must be taken with caution, never know what some intend with the bad press.
    Not that many gunsmiths in Ireland...you can have a chat with all of them and see what they have to offer.
    I just had one of my rifles rebarrelled with a Border barrel (also 243) by Fergal White and picked it up today. I watched him do the crown and being a precision mechanic by trade I can confirm his lathe has very good bearings....and he knows how to use it.
    Really happy with the work and will see how it shoots in a few days, have no doubt it'll shoot as expected.
    If you are looking for a custom rifle, first think of how much you would like to spend. Any idea?

edi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

tfox wrote: »
    by all accounts only one man, Fergal White

http://www.irelandcustomrifle.com/

Big +1 on that.

Done work for me. The only man I would go to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭50cal

ejg wrote: »
    Bad press must be taken with caution, never know what some intend with the bad press.
    Not that many gunsmiths in Ireland...you can have a chat with all of them and see what they have to offer.
    I just had one of my rifles rebarrelled with a Border barrel (also 243) by Fergal White and picked it up today. I watched him do the crown and being a precision mechanic by trade I can confirm his lathe has very good bearings....and he knows how to use it.
    Really happy with the work and will see how it shoots in a few days, have no doubt it'll shoot as expected.
    If you are looking for a custom rifle, first think of how much you would like to spend. Any idea?

edi

What is a precision mechanic ? I am a toolmaker with 32 years experience and I have never heard of a precision mechanic before?
    A lathe without "very good bearings" should not be switched on regardless of how talented the toolmaker may be.
    Quality of workmanship should be a given - The price is negotiable.:)

50cal wrote: »
    What is a precision mechanic ? I am a toolmaker with 32 years experience and I have never heard of a precision mechanic before?
    A lathe without "very good bearings" should not be switched on regardless of how talented the toolmaker may be.
    Quality of workmanship should be a given - The price is negotiable.:)

Just roughly translated from the German "Feinmechaniker".
    With the bearings, as with all mechanic parts wear will set in, I presume you will also disagree. Not all machines are equal and Fergals machine seemed much better than the lathe in our toolmaking facility.
    Negotiation? need two to negotiate, and both need to be willing to do so.
    edi

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

Op, some people seem tohave a certain bias against certain rifle smiths on here. I've never met fergal but from reports and pictures he looks to turn out top quality work.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭50cal

With the bearings, as with all mechanic parts wear will set in, I presume you will also disagree. Not all machines are equal and Fergals machine seemed much better than the lathe in our toolmaking facility.
    Negotiation? need two to negotiate, and both need to be willing to do so.
    edi

Wear is inevitable with time and use -I agree
    Precision mechanics or even toolmakers don't use lathes with less than prefect bearings.Full stop.
    I if they do - their work will suffer and they loose the precision element.
    Yeah , maybe fergal's lathe is better that yours but you may not looking for precision?
    On the flip side of the coin there are a lot of company's that simply cant afford maintenance in the current climate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

Quote:
    name and shame if you got burnt!!!!

cause was talken to a chap today that got burnt for alot..
    dont want it to be me!!

tks!!![/QUOTE]

Yea, if your factual I don't see why you should not speak your mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Yea, if your factual I don't see why you should not speak your mind.
    The rules on this are clear and set out in the charter:
    A side effect of this public status is that defamation is something we have to keep in mind when moderating. We believe that when there's a problem, a civil disagreement, even a civil argument, is to our community what fibre in the diet is to a person - a preventative for even worse problems. We don't believe in letting things hide under rocks and grow worse for it.

For that reason, genuine posts are all welcome here - regardless of whether they are positive or negative; or of whether they are about goods or services provided by commercial companies, or about clubs or associations. We believe this is a genuinely good way for those who provide an excellent service to be recognised as such; and that it is one of the best ways for others to find out what they could be doing better.

However, please take note of this - the posts must be genuine. We do not allow people to 'get the boot in' or to use boards.ie ltd as an anonymous platform to unjustly defame others. We never have and we're not interested in starting now.

The rule we use on this is very simple:
    • if you're posting the facts about your experience and they're negative, there's nothing wrong with that;
    • if you're posting your opinion of the person or people involved, you're in a gray area;
    • and if you're just having a bitching session or trying to get the boot in, well, your post is getting edited or deleted at a bare minimum.

There are also boards.ie guidelines on defamation that you may want to read.

If you want to err on the side of caution, just report the facts and skip the editorial. Have faith that the rest of us are intelligent enough to draw the same conclusions you did - and take comfort in the fact that when people draw their own conclusions, they have more impact than when those conclusions are drawn for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

Sparks wrote: »

Don't disagree with anything there Mark.
    My point was simple;
    If the OP has a genuine complaint or concern he should free to post without concern!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Better description would be a precision tool maker.;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭virminhunter

edi

in fairness edi the exact same thing goes for good press, if my buddy down the road is a rifle builder its only too easy for me to come on here and say he's God's gift to rifle building wether he is or he isn't.

IMO its harder to give someone a bad review than a good one, especially if he/she is irish for the following reasons

1. Everyone thinks you have a hidden agenda.
    2. You'll make no friends for it, you'll probably recieve a few emails and pms about it.
    3. Doesn't matter if your being completely truthful, people will just refuse to believe it.

in fairness edi the exact same thing goes for good press, if my buddy down the road is a rifle builder its only too easy for me to come on here and say he's God's gift to rifle building wether he is or he isn't.

IMO its harder to give someone a bad review than a good one, especially if he/she is irish for the following reasons

1. Everyone thinks you have a hidden agenda.
    2. You'll make no friends for it, you'll probably recieve a few emails and pms about it.
    3. Doesn't matter if your being completely truthful, people will just refuse to believe it.

All one can do is try to report as honest as possible. One cannot be made responsible for the replies.
    I've had two guns built, one in Germany by Roedale which has now given me many years of great service.
    My second rifle I tried a local gunsmith which has a huge adavantage as one doesn't need to mess around with export/import. The standard of rifle building is getting better and better locally which is a good thing... as long as we don't talk it into the ground.

edi

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Better description would be a precision tool maker.;)

Genau.

tac

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement