Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Van de Vaart out for 6 weeks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I don't think this is a disaster, I think it could actually be interesting to see how we do without him because to be honest I haven't rated him for the last few months. I don't think he's adding much to the team with his current form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

He's not been playing well anyways, looks unfit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Not a disaster for you, Adebayor and defoe up front is quite a tasty front two and shouldnt struggle for goals, Modric and Huddlestone in the middle, with Bale and Lennon out wide, thats not bad at all!

I imagine if he were fit he would play off Adebayor?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭wellboys

Although VdV is a world class player and it's still beyond me how he ended up at The Lane for €8m? He does make us play in a 4-4-1-1 formation which doesnt greatly suit us. The year we made CL it was 4-4-2.

It will be interesting to compare and contrast between how we play with and without.

But it does seem that he is VERY injury prone, last year it was put down to lack of pre-season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Id go 433, but nailed on harry wil start JD in a 442.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    I imagine if he were fit he would play off Adebayor?

Certainly hope so. Rather him anyday that Defoe or Pav.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭wellboys

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Id go 433, but nailed on harry wil start JD in a 442.

I'd love if we just for once did something like that and go for a formation like that. Harry is massively naive when it comes to tactics and formations. 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 could work for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I agree with Jiltloop. VDV drops deep so often that it leaves only one striker up front and crowds the midfield. Have Ade and Defoe/Pav as dedicated forwards who will stay up front should hopefully help to improve our chances of scoring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

i agree also - vdv being out could balance the team much better in the weeks ahead

Prefer to see a supposedly unbalanced team with VDV in it rather than a team that has Pav and Defoe as starters!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

yiddo59 wrote: »
    Prefer to see a supposedly unbalanced team with VDV in it rather than a team that has Pav and Defoe as starters!

I reckon it'll be Ade and Defoe starting. Ade with little to no match practice will probably do better than Pav anyway!

Id have neither. 433, ade up the middle, 2 wingers high up, with 3 in the middle ;)

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Id have neither. 433, ade up the middle, 2 wingers high up, with 3 in the middle ;)

who are the 3 in the middle?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I think we'd be best suited to a 4-2-3-1. Like this;

Friedal
    Walker --- Dawson --- Kaboul --- BAE
    Livermore --- Parker
    Lennon --- Modric --- Bale
    Adebayor

However, I reckon Harry will go 4-4-2, he'll drop Livermore and bring in Defoe. As long as Kranjcar and Modric never start in the middle again I don't mind which way he goes!

who are the 3 in the middle?

Parker, Hudd and Modric. Give modric the freedom of the park. You also have other options such as krancjar, sandro and livermore when all fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Everything In Its Right Place

Looks like he's going to be back next week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Sky Sports have quoted him from his official website as saying that he fancies his chances at being fit to face Liverpool.

he was having a moan about not being consulted about being left out of the squad for thursday. he thinks he is club captain - he needs to be slapped down

mickman wrote: »
    he was having a moan about not being consulted about being left out of the squad for thursday. he thinks he is club captain - he needs to be slapped down

A modern day player who wants to play? Shocking! Turf him out asap :rolleyes:

A modern day player who wants to play? Shocking! Turf him out asap :rolleyes:

he moaned cos he wasnt "consulted"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

He should have been told however, this makes sense. Once we get through the EL group stage we have the opportunity to add three new names. Let him score goals in the PL for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭larry1

why shud he be consulted ??

this is a silly comment "I would have loved to play in the Europa League. It would have helped me regain some rhythm.”"

i fear he will never regain his rhythm

Advertisement