Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving to UCD from Kildare Town

Options
  • 03-09-2011 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi

I will be driving to UCD three days a week for the next few months. Can anyone give me any indication of how long the journey might take? I need to be there for 9am, so was thinking I might need to leave home at around 7:30. Is this too late?

Also any suggestions on the best route? I assume the M50? And then what? I will be based in Woodview House, so think it's best to go in the main gate??

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Fragglefur wrote: »
    Hi

I will be driving to UCD three days a week for the next few months. Can anyone give me any indication of how long the journey might take? I need to be there for 9am, so was thinking I might need to leave home at around 7:30. Is this too late?

Also any suggestions on the best route? I assume the M50? And then what? I will be based in Woodview House, so think it's best to go in the main gate??

Thanks!

That should be buckets of time.
    M7-M50- Get off at Dundrum/Sandyford.
    Avoid Dundrum Road, Traffic is usually hectic there early in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

That will be enough time for traffic but finding a car parking space after 8.20-8.30 can be very difficult ! Just FYI.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Ado86 wrote: »
    That will be enough time for traffic but finding a car parking space after 8.20-8.30 can be very difficult ! Just FYI.

I could be wrong but just from observing, I think once you're there before 8.40 you'll be ok. The biggest free car park is the one behind Quinn School, which is convenient as you get to that using the Owenstown entrance (remember that barriers go up at peak times in UCD) which is where you'd come in from the M50. After 9.30am though you'd have no chance, you'd have to go into a pay car park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Measuring from the traffic lights at the end Naas Road just at the M50, go south 13.6 kilomteres on the M50 to junction 13 (?) (probably signposted Dundrum) which brings you downhill to a roundabout (14.4 km.)

Take the third exit (imagine you enter the roundabout at 6 o'clock, the exit you need is at 2 o'clock). Take that road (not the Dundrum exit, the one after it) until you meet a big roundabout (16.0 km.)

Go first left off that big roundabout, and go straight until you meet the Taney Road / Mount Annville Road crossroads (the Goat Grill is on the left at this junction) at 18.4 km.

Turn left right on to Mount Annville Road, go uphill on this road, which then curves left and sharply downhill, through the next crossroads (19.6 km.), on to Foster's Avenue, After about 100 metres turn left in to Owenstown Park (19.7 km.) which is a road in UCD Belfield. You meet a junction inside UCD after 500 metres (20.3 km), turn right and go 400 metres where you will find the car park on the left (20.7 km.)

Woodview House is a short walk of 600 metres further on as the crow flies.

Going home the route will be slightly different as some of the roads near the M50 are one-way. Just follow the signs to the M50 as you get near it.

How did I get all these measurements?
    You can plan a route using http://bikeroutetoaster.com
    but you must check "Auto Routing and uncheck "Avoid Highways" in the panel on the right.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

kincsem wrote: »

Go first left off that big roundabout, and go straight until you meet the Taney Road / Mount Annville Road crossroads (the Goat Grill is on the left at this junction) at 18.4 km.

Turn left on to Mount Annville Road, go uphill on this road, which then curves left and sharply downhill, through the next crossroads (19.6 km.), on to Foster's Avenue, After about 100 metres turn left in to Owenstown Park (19.7 km.) which is a road in UCD Belfield. You meet a junction inside UCD after 500 metres (20.3 km), turn right and go 400 metres where you will find the car park on the left (20.7 km.)

Shouldn't that read turn right onto Mount Annville Road? i.e. the Goat is on the left as you approach the light-controlled crossroad - you turn right onto Mount Annville road!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Shouldn't that read turn right onto Mount Annville Road? i.e. the Goat is on the left as you approach the light-controlled crossroad - you turn right onto Mount Annville road!
    Oops. Sorry. You are correct. A right turn there. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Fragglefur

Thanks everybody!

I'll leave at 7am just to be on the safe side. Didn't expect parking to be such an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

You may find it handier to come in the N11 gate, turn right and follow signs for O'Reilly Hall. Park in the car park there, then follow the path that leads from the opposite corner from which you entered the car park.After the main entrance to the Vets college building, turn right onto the little path. This path brings you out at some containers near the front of Conway, right beside Woodview. You can also walk from Woodview down past the Secret Lake along the new woodland walk which will bring you back to the car park, much more scenic.
    Zoom in on this map for detailed paths in the area.

Of course the car park at O'Reilly Hall is generally full by 0830.

Advertisement