Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours outside windows

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can you get the glass frosted or add some wicker matting or similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

One possible way may be to go out and say hello next time they are there.

The fact that she becomes aware that she is being observed may be enough to discourage her encroaching on your space in the future but it could backfire and she may take it as an invitation to continue to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Victor wrote: »

This is a good, quick solution. You can get cheap rolls of wicker/reed fence screening and put it up around the edge of the balcony. Then the kid can't see in and has no reason to come over.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If you are frosting the windows, also get a two way mirror, so the cats can see out, but the people just see themselves (and not in), as most cats like looking out, and if they can't, they'll move to where they can :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

nibtrix wrote: »
    This is a good, quick solution. You can get cheap rolls of wicker/reed fence screening and put it up around the edge of the balcony. Then the kid can't see in and has no reason to come over.

The OP said they have a ground floor property. In order to erect any fencing around their patio area they would have to erect it on common property and could get into trouble for this.

They also haven't clarified if pets are allowed in the development. I would find it strange that outdoor animals would be permitted if there was a risk of them wandering as cats do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

You should simply say in a pretty nice manner to the woman, thanks for admiring your cats but you feel uncomfortable with people coming close to your balcony because your boyfriend walks around naked inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Are you renting ? Move to the second floor, problem sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭WANTStoWORK

You could tell the nosey stunt that the cat has Aids!!!! or else make a run at the kids with a bread knife!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

Winnie wrote: »
    Anyone any helpful advice! :-)

Didn't you reas the blow up doll post? Seriously.

And that's one of the reasons why I never accept ground floor, also just don't want anyone above me, or give easy access to burglars etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

Print "I'M WATCHING YOU" on a piece of A4 and put it on your window for a few days.

Sorted.

• Advertisement

OR, take her picture a few days in a row.... print them and perhaps cellotape them to the balcony.

Possibly after photoshopping your smiling self into each picture, arm around her and her child would be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Lanaier, if you cannot take the OP seriously and offer mature, constructive advice then kindly refrain from posting on this forum.

Be aware that off-topic and unhelpful posting can earn you a ban from this forum.

If you haven't already done so, please take the time to read the [URL=" http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056181484"]forum rules[/URL] in the charter.

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

the management company says no petrs allowed but everyone has pets around here as you see them all walking their dogs etc. These cats were originally feral kittens left at our door so we looked after them and fed them, neutered them etc., now they just live outside on our terrace in a little hut outside. Every one knows about them and has no problem with them as we all know that most others have pets also

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

the management company says no petrs allowed but everyone has pets around here as you see them all walking their dogs etc. These cats were originally feral kittens left at our door so we looked after them and fed them, neutered them etc., now they just live outside on our terrace in a little hut outside. Every one knows about them and has no problem with them as we all know that most others have pets also

If everyone knows about them, thats probably why everyone pops around.... You cant have it both ways OP.

Its like movie Stars who want to be left alone. not going to happen

Ok, for more serious advice: you are well within your rights to complain to her but you will be branded a weirdo so you'll need to weigh the options.

Best suggestion has been to take in the cats for a bit.

I don't think you're a weirdo for being pissed off by this btw, but there are worse things in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

introduce yourself, meet the lady, talk about the cats, be neighbourly - no more wierdness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

novarock wrote: »
    introduce yourself, meet the lady, talk about the cats, be neighbourly - no more wierdness.

You have never lived in an appartment.
    It's nice to have some peace when you want, and imagine having strangers watch your business at random times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Two or three months the kid will tire of the cats. Just wait til he's ten and whacking a ball against your windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

spurious wrote: »
    Two or three months the kid will tire of the cats. Just wait til he's ten and whacking a ball against your windows.

Exactly, let the kid look at the cats. Jesus if I had a cat/dog (which I did have a dog) I would be happy that someone is admiring my cat/dog.

In a few years, the kid won't give you trouble because he will remember the cats and how you let him watch the cats.

Personally , I know you don't want someone looking into you window at your cats. But if you say something your going to seem like crank and the kid will think your a kill joy, in time a crazy cat lady.

Two options here.

The sensible thing move the cats to another window and buy net curtains.

Ask her to stop looking into your window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭sexymama

Victor wrote: »

I agree.Get some wicker/bamboo matting/trellis and put it around the glass balcony.If the child cannot see anything then the mother will stop bringing her around.She may not be intruding on your property but you shouldn't have her coming to your balcony/window several times a day with the child when all you want is to sit there when you want without someone looking in or at you.

In apartment living people have to respect other people privacy.What one person might not mind happening another person might.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

To the OP: I completely understand where you are coming from. The apartment is your own space, and they are making you feel uncomfortable there by coming up to your window and looking in. I have been there, and people can not really understand how annoying it gets on a day to day basis. It is a real invasion of your privacy. I ended up moving to a higher apartment, but maybe you could keep the cats inside and get a litter tray for a few weeks as a way of breaking the routine? You shouldn't have to get different blinds or curtains, other people should respect the privacy of your home.

• Administrators Posts: 14,027 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

The perils of living in a ground floor apt.

I'm guessing the mother is looking around embarrassed and hoping not to be caught, rather than snooping.

Why not go out and talk to them?
    Why not keep the cats in?
    Why not get lovely wooden slatted blinds that you can angle for privacy?

"Op said its a private terrace and they come to her balcony. There's boundaries."

Is it possible to have a ground floor balcony?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I lived in a townhouse with a front drive which wasn't divided by fencing, in other words 4 houses sharing one drive.
    The toddler next door regularly walked past the low window in the front room. I'd be sat there watchin tv and see his little pudgy face pressed against my window. So I'd pull the blinds if I didn't want him looking in at me if I was in the sitting room.
    It's one of the perils of having a house where there are no boundary walls.

I moved and live in a house with a drive and fencing but still see kids running past the windows. It's a bit of a free for all but then again, that's the kind of estate I want to live in. One where my child can go out and play with the other kids and have that sort of freedom to go around the estate.

I think you're over reacting to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Might it be an idea to go out and say hello some day.

Maybe see what they craic is, maybe suggest they get a kitten themselves.

My niece still asks me about a kitten that I used to have years ago - kids like animals.

Even by popping out to talk to the mother, you are making her aware that you are there. If you pop out in a dressing gown, you might make her realise that you are around more than she thinks. In fact, she may not know you are there at that time of the day and

One benefit of her being there is that you have your own security guard looking after the place. I only spoke to my neighbours recently when my house was broken into - was nice to know they were keeping an eye on the place anyway.

In this type of situation, talking is the best way forward. A friendly introduction, a hello to the kid, bring the cats out even to introduce them..... then say that sometimes you are a bit startled about them being there but that they can pop by in a few days time for a look.

And sure who knows, you may find yourself getting to know a neighbour and having someone to store a key, keep an eye on your gaff, invite around for a drink etc.... life is all about people.

To be honest I think the people here who think the OP is over reacting don't know what it's like to be in the OP's position.

I've minded a small child, and there's a lane nearby that I used to take her on our walk with lots of cats on it. We'd stop and look at them for a while, and she would be absolutely enthralled with it. So I get that looking at the cats could be more than just a mother taking liberties, but something that genuinely gets her through the day, ie. "eat all your breakfast and I'll let you see the kitties today".

But if this woman wants her child to have cats to play with every day then she should get her own. The OP's terrace is not a creche and while I agree that people stopping by once and a while is fine, knowing that every day someone is going to be loitering outside your house is very off-putting and annoying.

If you see her coming, call your cats in. If you can't catch her coming, then keep your cats in around the time she would come for a few days. If that doesn't work either, wait until she's out there one day and tell her that while you understand she has good intentions, your cats sleep during the day and that her coming by not only wakes them up but makes them very nervous, and if you want you could spin something about them not eating properly since it started or them getting upset at night, or that they would normally go out hunting/exploring at night but since they've been losing sleep they've been taking longer to come home and you think they're getting too tired at night. Be kind, but not so kind that she doesn't feel she's been a bit of a nuisance. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

Ahh, I was trying to remember who did that bit! That was exactly what I was thinking when first saw the thread lol

(also the part about Sarah Beeny, so true!)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You could tell the nosey stunt that the cat has Aids!!!! or else make a run at the kids with a bread knife!!!!!!
    Constructive posts only please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Firstly, not sure if in right place, feel free to move mods........anyway, we live in a ground floor apartment with double doors opening onto a terrace. We have two cats that sleep outisde on the terrace.
    Every day, at least once or twice, there is a woman with her toddler that comes over to our balcony to let the child see the cats. This is really starting to annoy me as she stands right outside our windows with the child and sometimes comes right up to our terrace.....I know she is only showing the cats to her child but this is our private home and dont like strangers being so close to our windows.......plus the cats dont enjoy it! What should I say, if anything...Am I being unreasonable?

Next time she comes over (make sure the patio doors are open) and just as she approaches the terrace crank up the most savage, ear-drum bursting, skull-thumping, lung-collapsing drum & bass music. The toddler will be in fits of hysterical tears in a moment and she'll take him home. Then turn off the music. If and when she returns, repeat the process. The kid will by now have subliminally developed a permanent fear and phobia of approaching cats or maybe even any animals but at least you'll be rid of the pair of them :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lesserspottedchloe

I know from experience that it can be a little annoying when people do this-my neighbours kids sit on the front window ledge sometimes while admiring my cat and they like to have a peek in and a giggle! They LOVE my cat and are regularly in awe of his ability to get around (he only has three legs) and tbh witnessing their enthusiasm and affection towards animals cancels out any bad feeling I have about this! They might live in an upper floor of the building where having a pet isn't a possibility which would make the kids even more curious about your cats..

There's a lot of people out there with nasty attitudes towards animals and if I was you I'd be glad to see this mother having a possitive influence on her kids and teaching them to have a caring attitude towards animals-a minor inconvenience is a small price to pay imo!

Advertisement