Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

APHCI

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

JohnnieK wrote: »
    My inspector went to a oil to gas install i done as my annual inspection. He even put a u gauge on the inlet and put her on high fire to check inlet pressure. I was dead chuffed at that. My inspection this year was an lpg installation and got me to check inlet pressure while the hob was on. He then checked to make sure i put the lpg sticker on the boiler that comes with the conversion kit.

I hope there all like that.
    Mines not anyway! To be honest I wish it was like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Mines not anyway! To be honest I wish it was like that

Need i say anymore. Gross inconsistency amongst inspectors. A friend of mine was going to report a small housing estate for dangerous flues. His inspector told him he would be asking for trouble if he did. Turns out the inspector knew the installer.

Kang just got whacked in olympus has fallen. Great movie.

Need i say anymore. Gross inconsistency amongst inspectors. A friend of mine was going to report a small housing estate for dangerous flues. His inspector told him he would be asking for trouble if he did. Turns out the inspector knew the installer.

I don't have sky box office!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

I don't have sky box office!!

Xtravision

Xtravision

Ah renting is so 2006!! I heard mel Gibson is shooting a film about a Scottish warrior called William Wallace!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

All bad instulations have to be reported no matter the out come, how else can us good guys promote the industry, I get fairly peed off as I mainly deal with oil and and have no back up like RGII, no matter what its short comeings are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

My last 3 inspections wer " ah sure you know what your at " . No tests , or questions. And the last one was after my inspector cancelled 3 appointments because he wasn't bothered driving down to me, then I ring up to order Certs only to be told I can't have any because I've failed to complete my annual inspection!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

My inspector went to a oil to gas install i done as my annual inspection. He even put a u gauge on the inlet and put her on high fire to check inlet pressure. I was dead chuffed at that. My inspection this year was an lpg installation and got me to check inlet pressure while the hob was on. He then checked to make sure i put the lpg sticker on the boiler that comes with the conversion kit.

I hope there all like that.

Mine told me that last year he inspected me on an Annexe E so this year he wanted to see an install so I took him to an oil to gas swap over I had done. I was very impressed as he went through everything from tightness test to FGA on both high & low fire.
    But then again I have always found my inspector to be very helpful & knowledgeable. I've had a 3 hour inspection with him once!

So me thinks if they are going this route it can only be for the better. The numpty RGI's will find themselves under immense pressure if this to become the norm.

shane0007 wrote: »
    Mine told me that last year he inspected me on an Annexe E so this year he wanted to see an install so I took him to an oil to gas swap over I had done. I was very impressed as he went through everything from tightness test to FGA on both high & low fire.
    But then again I have always found my inspector to be very helpful & knowledgeable. I've had a 3 hour inspection with him once!

So me thinks if they are going this route it can only be for the better. The numpty RGI's will find themselves under immense pressure if this to become the norm.

It should become the norm. Every inspector should be sat down and told to grill the RGI's there inspecting. And start suspending a few until further trained up to standard

It should become the norm. Every inspector should be sat down and told to grill the RGI's there inspecting. And start suspending a few until further trained up to standard

You must also be careful. Some people are very good installers but fall to pieces under the pressure of an examination. I know a lot of guys that absolutely sh1t themselves before an exam but are excellent people. So there is a fine line. A good inspector will be able to draw the better side out of the RGI without putting them under pressure. I felt that from my inspector.
    More training for the inspectors that are not upto speed with the other ones is perhaps a good route also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

And maybe he knows your a contributor here, :D just what did happen to Hienbollok.

And maybe he knows your a contributor here, :D just what did happen to Hienbollok.

Let's just say we chatted a lot.
    Or perhaps he was just being nice about telling me I needed extra work on bringing my skill set upto mark. Either way, he was thorough & helpful.

Either way, he was thorough & helpful.

He'll like that :p

He'll like that :p

It's called "cute wh0re" tactics. I know he'll be reading this & now he will be extra nice to every RGI called Shane. My next inspection will have a picnic blanket, sambos with tea & creamed scones....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

It's called "cute wh0re" tactics. I know he'll be reading this & now he will be extra nice to every RGI called Shane. My next inspection will have a picnic blanket, sambos with tea & creamed scones....

this inspector is male I hope ??? ;);)

jimf wrote: »
    this inspector is male I hope ??? ;);)

Yes, yes, very manly. Deep voice & all that.

I will of coarse now change my name by deed poll, again!! ;)

I will of coarse now change my name by deed poll, again!! ;)

Now that would be a revolution! Every RGI named Shane.
    Hmmm.....
    I second that motion!

As this is a APHCI thread. Going by the points raised what will APHCI do as the voice for the common RGI?

And wouldn't it be fantastic if RGII had a large amount of money put aside from contributions(if only) to run mandatory RGI safety training days to include lessons learnt from recent deaths and explosions so the mistakes aren't repeated time and time again.

Yes, yes, very manly. Deep voice & all that.

Doesn't mean anything nowadays with lady's drinking pints:eek:

• Advertisement

gary71 wrote: »
    As this is a APHCI thread. Going by the points raised what will APHCI do as the voice for the common RGI?

Very good question. As they got 2 seats on the RGII panel, has anybody received any feedback or being asked what the RGI would like to have proposed to the RGII board on behalf of the RGI?

Very good question. As they got 2 seats on the RGII panel, has anybody received any feedback or being asked what the RGI would like to have proposed to the RGII board on behalf of the RGI?

So that puts APHCI in a even better position to have a impact on a safe working environment for RGI's and their customers.

gary71 wrote: »

And wouldn't it be fantastic if RGII had a large amount of money put aside from contributions(if only) to run mandatory RGI safety training days to include lessons learnt from recent deaths and explosions so the mistakes aren't repeated time and time again.

My biggest wish would be that it was a legal requirement that ALL instalers / service Eng. had to do a compulsary FGA test on All appliances they service /install or repair.
    On All fuel types. Gas, oil, solid fuel.

Our work carries with it a lot of responcibilty in relation to the health and safety of our customers and should not be taken lightly.

scudo2 wrote: »
    My biggest wish would be that it was a legal requirement that ALL instalers / service Eng. had to do a compulsary FGA test on All appliances the service /install or repair on All fuel types. Gas, oil, solid fuel.

No argument here, but if your talking about wishes then i wish Inspections were real and valid, I wish RGII would grow a pair, stop being complacent and messing with people's lives, make a decision on the competence of the RGI in front of them ("ah, but didn't the training give them the cert, their to blame") .

The RGI I was with when he had his drive by inspection back in the day went on to fit two boilers( that I know of) that allowed high levels of carbon monoxide in to property, this RGI is still installing, doesn't have a analiser, doesn't know or care how dangerious he is and the system we have hasn't stopped him, shame on them.

Now just to clarify I'm not fully anti RGII:eek: and at times their a force for good, but they implement the rules(refs always get abused) and this is a serious business.

I'd like somebody to take ownership of these issues raised and APCHI are in a position to voice the concerns of grumpy gas fitters like myself.

scudo2 wrote: »
    My biggest wish would be that it was a legal requirement that ALL instalers / service Eng. had to do a compulsary FGA test on All appliances they service /install or repair.
    On All fuel types. Gas, oil, solid fuel.

How do you flue gas analyise solid fuel? What adjustments would you make to manipulate the readings? How long would the CO cell last on your FGA?

How do you flue gas analyise solid fuel? What adjustments would you make to manipulate the readings? How long would the CO cell last on your FGA?

I've always wanted to stick my FGA into my stove out of curiosity to see what reading I'd get but then I remind myself I paid over 700 for it.

I think perhaps Spudo was meaning a CO room test :confused:

Only for room test around flue. Stoves can produce 1800+ ppm co.
    I've tested them.
    I've come across a few stoves that have pulled a small bit from flue pipe.!
    Luckely flue's didn't have blockages but had good draft.

Not meaning to keep going on and on but my sister was killed by 23,000 ppm co 16 years ago.from a Stanley cooker.
    Not trying to be a pain in the ass for everybody who knows my story, but if New posters read this I hope to get the message across.
    Were in a very responcible ocupation that has high responcibiltys.

Not a day goes by that I wish I didn't have to tell the above facts and if I can make a difference I'm happy.
    I think I'm in an unique position (which I didn't want ) to make a difference and if I could do more I would.

If anybody has any ideas please let me know
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭spireland32

A piece in BS news about the aphci.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

It's about time those entry requirements were changed

But they were due to change for a number of years, I think certain parties are incorrectly claiming they were instrumental in the conclusion of something that began before their inception.

Advertisement