Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

APHCI

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭spireland32

Yes all those meetings and hours upon hours with the JOC, RGII and CER had nothing to do with it. Very slow process.

Trying actively to improve the industry we work in. While some give out about things and then criticise when something changes? *confused*

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

I am just saying, the process for these changes (welcome as they are) were called for from and said to be coming long before you guys.

I am greatful for all the part you played in it, but the credit should not be emphasized as all attributed to one interest group only.

Next APHCI meeting is in Dublin, The Louis Fitzgerald Hotel. Firebird will be hosting the night and will be giving away a solid fuel stove to one lucky member. You must be a member to attend. You can join at the door on the night.

Why not head straight from work have your dinner for free and also a free bar. Firebird will go through their products and techies will be there also on the night for any questions you may have. The new building regs in relation to solid fuel and link up to another heat source. As shane has mentioned here before firebirds is the only one to comply with new regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭jimf

Next APHCI meeting is in Dublin, The Louis Fitzgerald Hotel. Firebird will be hosting the night and will be giving away a solid fuel stove to one lucky member. You must be a member to attend. You can join at the door on the night.

Why not head straight from work have your dinner for free and also a free bar. Firebird will go through their products and techies will be there also on the night for any questions you may have. The new building regs in relation to solid fuel and link up to another heat source. As shane has mentioned here before firebirds is the only one to comply with new regs.

why not go home first park the van hit the shower then hit over and have the freebies :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Thanks
    APCHI text didn't say where it was. Dublin, Cork or Limerick !
    Nobody fits boilers in Galway !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭wilser

Can anyone go to these? Got an unofficial invite in chadwicks,& don't want to look like a 3rd wheel if I do go.
    am rgi but not oftec.
    thanks

wilser wrote: »
    Can anyone go to these? Got an unofficial invite in chadwicks,& don't want to look like a 3rd wheel if I do go.
    am rgi but not oftec.
    thanks

Normally everybody with a professional interest are welcome.
    Just don't shout that gas is better than oil.

( which it is not )

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Well, matter is opinion…never heard my wife say yet, 'god you reek of gas!'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Gotta love those modulating oil boilers!!

DGOBS wrote: »
    Well, matter is opinion…never heard my wife say yet, 'god you reek of gas!'

Did you ever leave old LPG pipes in the van ?
    Stinks for weeks afterwards !

When I stink of oil my wife smells money !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Gotta love those modulating oil boilers!!

Scudo is getting there. :) Hope he shares design with us before patenting it.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote: »
    Scudo is getting there. :) Hope he shares design with us before patenting it.

Apparently it involves the wheels of a roller-skate or skateboard welded to the burner, a extra long oil hose and a old broom handle.

I don't want to steal Scudos thunder so I'll leave the rest to the oily one.

gary71 wrote: »
    Apparently it involves the wheels of a roller-skate or skateboard welded to the burner, a extra long oil hose and a old broom handle.

I don't want to steal Scudos thunder so I'll leave the rest to the oily one.

Well he did also let slip about the use of extra light baffles e.g. modified biscuit tin lids. I am starting to see how it all comes together now. A few more revelations and the cat will be out of the bag.

Well he did also let slip about the use of extra light baffles e.g. modified biscuit tin lids. I am starting to see how it all comes together now. A few more revelations and the cat will be out of the bag.

Yea, he's had a few problems, I heard he could often be seen around Cork chasing his wheeled burner down the street when he left the oil hose way to long:eek:

gary71 wrote: »
    Yea, he's had a few problems, I heard he could often been seen around Cork chasing his wheeled burner down the street when he left the oil hose way to long:eek:

And he lives at the top of Patrick's Hill :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭jimf

yere only all jealous of scudos brilliant inventions shame on ye

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

And he lives at the top of Patrick's Hill :(

C'mon lads back to the thread please. This is goin downhill :)

Evening was a huge success. Big thanks to firebird for very informative and interesting evening. Some super products and fantastic staff.

Training & Information Evening

Cork
    Next Tuesday 25th March 6.30pm 
    Vienna Woods Hotel, Glanmire, Cork  

Mayo
    Next Wednesday 26th March 6.30pm
    Hotel Ballina, Dublin Road, Ballina, County Mayo

Sponsored by

Worcester Bosch Oil & Gas Boilers
    Renewables` & Hot Water Solutions Roadshow

Food Served (after work)
    Hot Food will be served free of charge from 6.30pm.
    APHCI meetings will begin at 7.30pm Sharp.

Free Bar
    A free bar will be open

Free Training
    Worcester Bosch will have engineers on site to provide training, technical advice & product information

Free Jacket
    Each attendee will receive a free Worcester jacket following the event

Good few of the regular posters are from Cork... Why not come along to the aphci meeting next week, will be a great evening.

• Advertisement

Good few of the regular posters are from Cork... Why not come along to the aphci meeting next week, will be a great evening.

Good fun if we had to sign in with both names.
    Yours faithfuly,
    Scudo

Reminder of meetings this week, tomorrow in cork love to see new faces. Worcester will be hosting the night

C&F Quadrant Roadshow

CPD Events (accredited by CIBSE)
    ACV : Title “Tank in Tank Technology”
    Riello : Title “Forced Draught Burner Technology” and “Gas Boosters”
    Unical : Title “Modular Boiler Technology”

These CPD events will be held during both morning and afternoon sessions. Attendance at these CPD events is by pre-registration via Conor Quigley at conor@cfquadrant.ie
    Evening presentations at 7pm. Contact Conor Quigley (as above) or Fintan Kennedy fintank@cfquadrant.ie for further information on this event.
    Riello Workshop on “Technical Burners” 11am and 3pm.
    Nu-Flame Gas Fires
    Glow worm

Where : Rochestown Park Hotel, Douglas, Cork City

When : Wednesday 16 April (all day) 

CPD Events, Workshops, Products on display showcasing the portfolio of brands C&F Quadrant represents. Product demonstrations, Domestic and Commercial product range, Technical advice available all day. Evening presentations, Brochures and product literature.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Traditional

what are we doing about the fat cats in the regency :?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

what are we doing about the fat cats in the regency :?

I think they got the message loud and clear that they are not doing the RGI's, the industry, consumers and by default themselves any good.

We learn something new everyday, I learned never give Sean Giffney the opportunity to apologise for anything :) never before have I seen that method used to get the attention of the top table ;)

The Gent from CER was doing a lot of writing on nearly every topic raised seeing as how CER are the power behind RGII we may see some changes in the near future.

Here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Traditional

Im sure there monitoring this site and comments , but they have a captive audience and are likely to do as they please , the other night , well most of the Rgii people had something to air , but the top table take that as hot steam being blown off , the real way to deal with them is to contact the local press , followed up with a notice to the other people in that yard of a dispute .
    It looked like THE OK CORRAL you do what we tell you or weal scrub you off , thats threating peoples livey hood , in this day and age if you were a member of a trade union , it would not happen , you have to remember that some of them are battled hardened anti union people who will treat you like the dirty door mat at your door , now there is a bit of HOT air !!

When A RGI's incompetent actions ends in a death(s) they are vilified and judged by fellow RGIs, but Christ, what do you expect after a ten day training course:confused:

I often wondered if the powers that be take any personal ownership following any deaths or explosions as they chose to create a system not based on sound time proven qualification led safety training, but a system that takes a person gives them minimal training, then gives a false sense of confidence by telling that person "off you go you are now a safe competent/qualified gas engineer".

Having spent alot of my life in the GMB union I feel very vulnerable working in Ireland because I have no protection from the powers that be in the event of a incident which can easily happen to any RGI(god forbid).

As a member, I'd wonder if APHCI would approach a good union and look for protection and the implementation of real world safety training for its members, if that happened then that would be a good days work by APHCI and might bring a safer working environment for all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I was sitting and standing close to the front when the tirade of ire was being hurled at the top table.
    It was interesting to watch the reaction of them to what was being said, especially to the comments from some of the better prepared contributers.
    Guy from CER was listening and taking notes as was at times the guy from B.G.N. but W.W. just sat there for most of the time staring ahead, to be honest from where I stood, looking like he had heard it all before yada yada yada and was not interested.
    Some very good points were raised and there was a lot of passion in the room, but can it change anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

K.Flyer wrote: »
    I was sitting and standing close to the front when the tirade of ire was being hurled at the top table.
    It was interesting to watch the reaction of them to what was being said, especially to the comments from some of the better prepared contributers.
    Guy from CER was listening and taking notes as was at times the guy from B.G.N. but W.W. just sat there for most of the time staring ahead, to be honest from where I stood, looking like he had heard it all before yada yada yada and was not interested.
    Some very good points were raised and there was a lot of passion in the room, but can it change anything?

There was some very good point's made alright.

I especially remember the gent with the beard. He is a plumber for 40 year's done a 7 year apprenticeship at the time and now the industry is full of pretenders.

It was like they were just trying to fill job's.

Why was it allowed that unskilled worker's where allowed in in the first place and that there own entry requirements where ignored and only tightened up on recently.

Personally i think there should be two categories RGT & RGI the foremost only allowed to service repair and the latter service repair and install.

You will need your plumbers cert.

And i was very supprised to hear of the training school's sending flyers around to electricians to encourage them to become RIG's.
    They moan about us wiring heating system's if they where given badges they would moan about us fitting gas appliances too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I suppose there should be no surprise at the open door attitude towards electrians to become RGIs after all, RGII is run by RECI, so creating jobs for themselves more like.

Advertisement