Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

APHCI

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

Theres no legal bodies for oil and renewables to take up issues with... yet. Hopefully oftec with be soon though

OFTEC never will be. They are not even a legal body in the UK. RGII has no legal power either. They are just a body to administer the register. The CER is the legal authority. We need the CER to be extended across the board. They have the powers, they never existed but were formed.
    APCHI is in a unique situation that could make a difference & in some ways, it has & I acknowledge that.
    Where I, and all through this thread I repeatedly use IMO, I think APCHI could do so much more but they have seemed to be more interested in getting manufacturer promotional nights going rather than pushing the real issues across the board. We need a building control & I see it as an extension of the CER. It far easier extend an existing body than create a new one.

My other concern is APCHI has 2 board members on the RGII panel to represent RGII's. This is their second term & not once in those terms have I received contact to see what concerns they would like to voice on my behalf.

I also have enough annual fees without having another annual €100 with APCHI for something I currently don't have confidence in.

So they are my annoyances, not with you, but with APCHI and you seem to be their representative here.

No meant...? Pull the other one

Take it as you wish. I apologised & you are entitled not to accept my apology.

gary71 wrote: »
    I went to a job yesterday that numerious RGII's have called to and charged well with no repair, it was a 3 year old system boiler which has not worked since May, customer was in bits due to the experience.

All that was wrong was the pump had burnt out as there was no cylinder stat or motorised valve so the boiler stayed on when the other zones had shut down during the programmed on time, the flow around the hot water circuit was very restricted due to the balancing valve being nearly closed to push the heat out to the new rads that had been fitted.

I put my head in a 4 year old boiler today for a fellow RGI who was struggling, I identified fault was most likely a defective APS but a slight chance it was the PCB so the RGI has decided to replace the boiler:confused:

I went to a job last week where the RGI didn't know that boilers need to be converted to work on LPG.

I have been to another job where the flow and return between the boiler downstairs and the cylinder/manifold upstairs is 1/2 inch and the heating doesn't work very well:eek:

So taking into account the above if I had a magic wand to go with my Saturday night tutu then I would have a independent body run by seasoned and proven tradesmen with the power to police the gas industry. Forcing all Rgi's to implement good/safe working practices to a acceptable standard, any not meeting that standard should be directed to training centres to receive real world qualification and training ie.. City and Guilds, any RGI's not improving over time and a possible danger should be prevented from trading to prevent needless death or injury to their customers.

I would like the industry policed so that any works done can be inspected and action taken on behalf of the householder when work doesn't meet a excepted standard, I'd like RGI to signify a competent and safe gas engineer that will work to a given standard, I'd like RGI's to be qualified with more than a 10 day course, I would like test papers to be honest and no answers given, what's the point in taking a paper when your given the answers:confused:

My income has been effected greatly by the influx of some unqualified RGI's who have no business working in the gas industry but yet get to have a impact by charging silly prices or working for low rates with larger companys, which isn't the same as price naturally reducing due to the change in the Country

I think my wish list is still relevant and I don't see anything changing.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

I just don't get the whole competency fight, would have seen it as only good thing for the industry. Prove competence, remove incompetence.

Yes it incurs a cost, as does anything in business, maybe looking at ways to engage with and improve the process, encourage manufactures to offset cost to the RGIs etc would be positive.

Hand holding and supporting the 30 year gas veteran to the assessment, and looking at ways to reduce the cost, and even more the stress it can cause them.

Fighting illegals etc, totally behind it.
    Making entry requirements for gas stiffer, again totally behind it.
    Improving the current RGII model, sure.

But it's like the opposition in government, sometimes you'd like to see positive engagement rather that just constant opposition.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Personal abuse coming from both sides here

All parties concerned may receive an infraction if it continues.

Attack the post. Leave out the personal stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭spireland32

shane 007 wrote: »
    OFTEC never will be. They are not even a legal body in the UK. RGII has no legal power either. They are just a body to administer the register. The CER is the legal authority. We need the CER to be extended across the board. They have the powers, they never existed but were formed.
    APCHI is in a unique situation that could make a difference & in some ways, it has & I acknowledge that.
    Where I, and all through this thread I repeatedly use IMO, I think APCHI could do so much more but they have seemed to be more interested in getting manufacturer promotional nights going rather than pushing the real issues across the board. We need a building control & I see it as an extension of the CER. It far easier extend an existing body than create a new one.

My other concern is APCHI has 2 board members on the RGII panel to represent RGII's. This is their second term & not once in those terms have I received contact to see what concerns they would like to voice on my behalf.

I also have enough annual fees without having another annual €100 with APCHI for something I currently don't have confidence in.

So they are my annoyances, not with you, but with APCHI and you seem to be their representative here.

I meant oftec to be recognised by cer.

Take it as you wish. I apologised & you are entitled not to accept my apology.

This isnt like a dail privilege... attack someone and apologise and everything is hunky dory

DGOBS wrote: »
    Personal abuse coming from both sides here

All parties concerned may receive an infraction if it continues.

Attack the post. Leave out the personal stuff.

Eh? Where? I'm not seeing personal abuse from spireland32 since moving on & I don't think saying he does not have to accept my apology is personal abuse.

Can we move on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

No meant...? Pull the other one

Shane and Spireland please STOP

No offence to you both. But your not helping anyone, yourselves, the industry or APHCI the way this topic has degenerated.

All due to a "united" protest meeting I mentioned.

No matter what, we all have different opinions, agendas but ultimately a united common goal.
    Better regulations.

Sadly this has degenerated into what it is.

A sad day.

I would like to keep you informed on any news I've got from any organisation that is relevant to us all. + any news ye have.

But is beyond a joke. And makes me wonder why I'm here.

I think scudo should get the ban he started it.

• Advertisement

This isnt like a dail privilege... attack someone and apologise and everything is hunky dory

How were you attacked? I apologised if you felt abuse as it was not intended. If you can't move on, so be it and I won't make another post here in case you feel more offended.

How were you attacked? I apologised if you felt abuse as it was not intended. If you can't move on, so be it and I won't make another post here in case you feel more offended.

Oh going the condensending route now... nice.

Anyway im out... as scudo says this has desended into a farce

I suppose that's one way of getting out of answering questions about APCHI.

Make out you are being personally abused.

You made an insulting comment to me with
    But you wont... you'll sit on the outside and say they should do this and that and the other. Easier to sit on boards and say thats a load of sh1te. Loads like you.

I responded with
    I wouldn't expect a more intelligent answer than that from you. Keep up the good work.

Somehow you are able to turn that one post into personal abuse & attack. Nice one....

Mods: Can you have a higher up the chain administrator look at this accusation, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Where's me popcorn?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

JohnnieK wrote: »
    Where's me popcorn?

F the world cup, this is way better and even more entertaining. Next we'll have the mods out with a spray on line that may not be crossed. Please don't move it to Rgii...I am not a member :(

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

I went to the leaba last night thinking that this thread is going to descend into a farce. Unfortunately it has. It always seems to involve the same few people. The plumbing and heating forum is here to help other tradesmen and non tradesmen with problems they may encounter, l certainly have picked up many helpful tips over the last few years.However, over the last 18 months, it has on more than one occasion turned into an embarrassment as individuals are more concerned about highlighting their knowledge rather than helping each other.

Wearb wrote: »
    F the world cup, this is way better and even more entertaining. Next we'll have the mods out with a spray on line that may not be crossed. Please don't move it to Rgii...I am not a member :(

The rightful place is here as Apchi are a association of plumbers which covers many fuel sources but as Apchi are only addressing gas issues it should really be moved to the Rgi section where the embarrassment is limited.

gary71 wrote: »
    The rightful place is here as Apchi are a association of plumbers which covers many fuel sources but as Apchi are only addressing gas issues it should really be moved to the Rgi section where the embarrassment is limited.
    Is there anybody here with APHCI who could give us good and proper information on anything relevant to us.

Last night wasn't good and didn't help anybody.

Would it be possible/allowed or even wanted for somebody in charge on APHCI to give us official up to date information here?

I'm not that person as I'm only a new member and on the fringe.

If I had my way oil would be the only form of heating allowed !

I suppose that's one way of getting out of answering questions about APCHI.

Make out you are being personally abused.

You made an insulting comment to me with

I responded with

Somehow you are able to turn that one post into personal abuse & attack. Nice one....

Mods: Can you have a higher up the chain administrator look at this accusation, please?

Still waiting for you to answer... why not join and go for appointment to the board and push the issues you feel are relevant.

Still waiting for you to answer... why not join and go for appointment to the board and push the issues you feel are relevant.

Because that would be futile. I would not be as known as you are & therefore would never get the enough votes to be in a position to make a difference.

It's probably best to leave it there until an Admin reviews the thread, as I certainly don't want any more silliness.

• Advertisement

Shane, you might drive us mad from time to time.
    But your well know and respected here and I might even go as far as a vote !

Bet nobody expected that !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

scudo2 wrote: »
    Shane, you might drive us mad from time to time.
    But your well know and respected here and I might even go as far as a vote !

Bet nobody expected that !

Brown nose boiler sevices

anthonyos wrote: »
    Brown nose boiler sevices

He invited me to the next Christmas party for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod

Well that was difficult to read.

You not only blatantly ignored one mod instruction but two. Two which were as clear as day.

spireland32 has closed his account. Shane007, banned for two days to reflect on how you use this forum.

If there is ever a repeat of the nonsense that went on last night, long term removal from the forum will be forthcoming.

If anyone has an issue with this mod instruction. Contact me directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Unfortunately whilst trying to catch up it would seem this thread has got a little distracted to say the least, perhaps deliberately :eek:

Anyway I would just like to add my tupence worth regardless of anyone's embarrassment.

The net cost of re-assessment is €175 for 5 years.

This statement is far from factual for all those RGI's who do not live within a daily return trip. I'm thankfully away from this shower of ####s but I recall whilst being laid up and having the time to work it out that this reassessment was going to put me back €1600, joke!
    And I agree totally that this reassessment, being the first, should of been at the expense of the CER, as it is them who have filled our profession with clowns who have no idea, but they left to us to pay and sort out their problem.

Advertisement