Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buy or not??

Options
  • 03-09-2011 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

A mate of mine has offered me his cz 452 american in .17 for handy money.
    The problem is, he wasn't one to clean his guns much...at all and it has SERIOUS work done at this stage being a couple of years old.
    Is there any considerations to be made if one was going to buy?
    I seems in good nick but is there a limit to what they can take wear-wise especially if they've been neglected?

Thanks in advance lads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jhcossie

if he is your mate he isnt going to pull a fast one,and he should let you try it out see wat groups you get with the gun as is then clean it your self leave off a few shots to clear and dry barrel and see what groups you get then.if all is well and for handy money you would be doin well.wat you call handy money?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭jimmyd87

250, gun, case, mod, scope(hawke night-eye 3-9) and a box of bullets.
    I've been out with him for a few shots with it on a few occasions, gun seems alright, its just got the height of neglect during its time with him is all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 KenOffally

that seems dirt cheap ,, if ya dont want id buy it myself for that price lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

At the end of the day, firearms are machines made of steel, more of a throw back to the industrial revolution than the computer age. They can take a beating.

Just because they can take a beating doesn't mean they should. Always take care of your firearms.

I bought a revolver one time that appeared to have pitting in the barrel. Myself and the seller got together and cleaned the gun with Hoppes, brushes, and patches. After 15 minutes of scrubbing, the barrel still appeared pitted. This to me was strange as I thought the barrel was stainless.

I bought the firearm anyhow, since it was a great price. I took it to the range, put a box of 50 through and it cleaned the barrel out.

If you are getting the firearm for a good price, I would buy it. Give it a good clean and you'll be fine.

What you need to watch out for when buying second hand firearms are other more subtle areas. In the States, I always worry if the prior owner used hot rounds, a little extra powder, or made modifications.

If the firearm is still factory intact and just wasn't clean, I would buy.

Slan.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Dachipster

Sounds like a complete bargain. How long does it take for these to wear out? I am interested as I am hoping to pick one up soon myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

jimmyd87 wrote: »
    250, gun, case, mod, scope(hawke night-eye 3-9) and a box of bullets.
    I've been out with him for a few shots with it on a few occasions, gun seems alright, its just got the height of neglect during its time with him is all!

How do u mean he as neglecting it? had he it left throwing around covered in sh!te or did he just leave it in the gun safe and never clean it?

Just because it wasnt cleaned in a while doenst make it a bad gun. set up a target and get him to fire a few rounds at it and fire a few yourself and see what kind of grouping its doing. Do it in calm wind too because the groups will be effected by wind.
    But anyway when you take into account the scope, mod and mounts its a steal at that price.
    If you were to get it threaded and a mod yourself it would cost over €100

Sound for the advice lads.
    Neglected, as in, covered n ****e then put in the safe!
    I gave it as serious a cleaning as I could last night, got a fair bit of gunk out of the barrel and chamber area alrite but I think it cleaned up ok.
    Off for a few shots after the match.
    Is it possible to wear out these smaller caliber rifles at all?
    Gun is standard, never messed with or modified.

Well, did it shoot alright or not?

Throw up a pic.

I'll try lad! I've never had any look with puttin them up!!:o

Would like to see it as I am going to get the same model.

My grant letter arrived on Monday, paid for it on Tuesday and the license arrived on Friday.

Can someone tell me if the little card should have an S on it for a moderator?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Dachipster wrote: »
    Can someone tell me if the little card should have an S on it for a moderator?

Yep, the licence should have the letter "S" on it for a moderator. If it doesn't have the "S", then you will be in a spot of bother if Mr Law notices.

Had a closer look and I have one on the licence. Not sure how I missed it, must be age. Thanks.

Advertisement