Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest chicken in Galway?

Options
  • 03-09-2011 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi.

Looking for the cheapest place in town to buy chicken breasts? looking for 14 a wk for ~14 euro.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

You can get a pack of 10 chicken breasts for €9.99 in Divilly's Butchers in the Westside Shopping Center.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

You can get a pack of 10 chicken breasts for €9.99 in Divilly's Butchers in the Westside Shopping Center.

They have great value quality meat in there alright:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

the meat market in terryland, by far, the middle eastern place beside fine wines is not far behind, both are a lot cheaper than any butcher in galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 nyahoi

Seaneh wrote: »
    the meat market in terryland, by far, the middle eastern place beside fine wines is not far behind, both are a lot cheaper than any butcher in galway.

Cheers, where is the meat market, whats it near?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

nyahoi wrote: »

Terryland, between EZ living and the "Pillow Hotel"..

Very nice place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 nyahoi

Terryland, between EZ living and the "Pillow Hotel"..

Very nice place.

Awesome, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

The Meat Market in Terryland has some good deals but what I found frustrating about it is that they make it so hard to figure out what is a good deal and what isn't. They price some items by the kilo and some items by the pack but the ones that are priced by the pack use a misleading label that suggest the pack size is 1kg when in reality it is generally much less.

Tormey Meats in Galway SC on the Headford Road has a board outside the shop which offers any 3 of various special offers for €15. One of the offers is 5 chicken breasts so if you got 3 x 5 for €15 it would fit the OP's criteria more or less. I don't normally shop there because it is generally very expensive (but good meat) but this seems like a reasonable deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Aldi sells frozen chicken breasts. Their cooked chicken is ****e, but the uncooked breasts are good, well trimmed, and handy to have in the freezer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

nyahoi wrote: »

CPs in Abbeygate Street. Near Sally Longs pub :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

The Asian store (think it's called the Bengal Food) Store beside Aldi and the Post Office in Westside does 10KG boxes of Castlemahon chicken fillets. I got a box a few months ago for 30Euro.
    They will do smaller amounts and you can haggle on price.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

dilallio wrote: »
    The Asian store (think it's called the Bengal Food) Store beside Aldi and the Post Office in Westside does 10KG boxes of Castlemahon chicken fillets. I got a box a few months ago for 30Euro.
    They will do smaller amounts and you can haggle on price.

In that case, we have a winner, by a long, long way.

3 euro per kilo is insanely cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭board_stiff

In that case, we have a winner, by a long, long way.

3 euro per kilo is insanely cheap!

It sure is!

Has anyone availed of this offer recently? Are they still doing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Maybe it's just me, but I'd be wary of eating any meat that comes from an animal that can be raised, fed, slaughtered, prepared, packaged, and sold for profit for €3.00 a kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Surfacezebra

Good quality chicken breasts not full of water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

Sergeant wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me, but I'd be wary of eating any meat that comes from an animal that can be raised, fed, slaughtered, prepared, packaged, and sold for profit for €3.00 a kg.

You're dead right.The chicken sold at that price is injected with a minimum of 40% water.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

El_Drago wrote: »
    You're dead right.The chicken sold at that price is injected with a minimum of 40% water.

It should say on the box what the chicken content is. The lowest i've sold thru the company i work for is 65% chicken. The most popular is 80% from €3 to €3.60kg with 100% chicken selling for around €4kg. (wholesale prices btw)

€3kg for IRISH Chicken fillets is a great price but i'd double check the origin...theres a big difference between packed in Ireland and Produced in Ireland.

Advertisement