Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning up of estates - whose responsibility?

Options
  • 03-09-2011 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

Just wondering who is responsible for keeping housing estates clean and tidy? The council? Tenants of the estate?
    We tidy our front garden and the street footpath in front of our house by disposing of the rubbish and other peoples dog poo. I have also picked up bits of rubbish lying around all of our cul de sac a few times but getting a bit annoyed now. A few of the neighbours front gardens have a lot of rubbish in them that they never tidy and it just flies around the cul de sac. Also the kids just throw their rubbish on the street when out playing getting a but pissed off with it now

Not sure if this is the right section for this, can move the post if there is a more appropriate forum. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ge_ch

i dont know the answer to your question but i can tell you that the 5 years i live in our estate, the council never came to clean up.
    we now have a residents association and we organise clean up days and last winter we cleared the snow and frozen ice of the street and foothpaths. i should probably mention that its usually the same few people doing it while the others are pretending not to be at home or are just staring out of the window, not even a thank you there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I started chucking it out of my garden onto the road. That seems to focus the minds of neighbours with kids who have never been taught to use a bin.

And I had tried everything before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

I'ts such a pain there is a few people in our cul de sac who keep the front nice and tidy and make an effort with flowers and then a few houses who do nothing. The children are espscially rude from 2 houses and leave their toys and bikes thrown across the footpath and on the road. But the rubbish is the biggest problem for me. I think I will call to the council and see what can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Did you check out the Accommodation & Property thread. You might get a better answer there to your problem.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=38

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Did you check out the Accommodation & Property thread. You might get a better answer there to your problem.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=38

Good idea bobcar.
    OP I'll move the thread there for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

magnumlady wrote: »
    Good idea bobcar.
    OP I'll move the thread there for you.

Thank you I'm so bad at finding the right place to post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Strictly speaking, the councils have to make sure places are kept somewhat clean. However, priorities exist and they tend to stick to shopping streets and main roads wher ehte problems are worst.

Those houses with a build-up (not just an occassional amount) of litter can be reported to the litter warden.
    I started chucking it out of my garden onto the road.
    You may be committing an offence.

Advertisement