Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy books or use library?

Options
  • 03-09-2011 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Is it worth buying books or should I just opt to borrowing books from the library?

Additional question: how about lockers. will i be needing a locker too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

What course are you doing? I just use the library, it's grand and way way way cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 redvelvet

Conor108 wrote: »
    What course are you doing?

1st year arts :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭CG328

It'd be cheapest using the library and photocopying from the books if you need to. If you really need to buy a book, you'll get them cheaper in the second hand bookshop in the student centre .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Don't mind anything lecturers tell you about what books to buy. I'm going into third year Arts and if there's one thing I've learned it is don't buy any books unless you absolutely have to. I'm not buying anything this year, I don't care how important they say it is. Some lecturers are really good and will actually scan everything you need and put it blackboard. While others will think nothing of telling you go out and buy the latest edition of some some crappy textbook for 50 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I managed to get through 1st year Science using the library and purchased one biology book.

Only reason I bought that book was that I needed a code to do online assignments. You could buy the code separately but I remember it being a stupid amount so I just got the book. It was Campbell's Biology for any 1st year science people that see this. It was a great book too for semester 2 modules and the online tests and stuff were great so I'd definitely recommend it.

I never had any major problems getting books science from the library at all :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

4 years of law and didn't need to buy the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

OP, don't go rushing off to purchase books. You won't need half of them. The Library is great, and often has a selection of relevant books, so if you want to extra reading, there you go.

You shouldnt need a locker. The photocopier will become your best friend, especially when all you need is a chapter from a specific text.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hindfoot

4 years of law and didn't need to buy the books.

Really!......am starting bcl....how did you manage? did you not find it a hinderence not having some books to hand if needed? while im at it, have you any tips for first year bcl ? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jan shyr

Buying books or library? Both.
    You might require a particular book for your module which library doesnt have but mostly use the library. Why spend money when there are many common books in the libraries?

Regarding lockers, I always needed locker to stuff it with my gear and jacket.

hindfoot wrote: »
    Really!......am starting bcl....how did you manage? did you not find it a hinderence not having some books to hand if needed? while im at it, have you any tips for first year bcl ? thanks

The short loan section is great if you want to get a book badly, people can't hog the books or hide them here (girls are horrific for hiding books, scum).

As regards advice; I can't pretend there is a heavy workload from the beginning but it would be prudent to do a bit of reading and take some notes from the very beginning of the year in order to take a huge amount of stress off your mind when it comes to exams. Do this and you can make sure you have loads of guilt-free social time the entire semester!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jan shyr

The short loan section is great if you want to get a book badly, people can't hog the books or hide them here (girls are horrific for hiding books, scum).
    It has been more than a year since I used that section but it is indeed great.
    Funny thing the times for loan from that part of the library varied from one day to three. Also people are less familiar with it which is great.

Do people actually hide books?
    I heard about people tearing pages off from journals or some other papers, and keeping books for extremely long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

When and where can you apply for a locker? Whats the cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Jaafa wrote: »

Go to the main services desk in whatever building you want it. Can't remember the price but its something like a €15 deposit for the year.

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Go to the main services desk in whatever building you want it. Can't remember the price but its something like a €15 deposit for the year.

And you get €10 back.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

Jaafa wrote: »

You have to go to the office at the side of the ag building.. they have the keys for the lockers.. i got one today and the options were a locker in the ag building or the arts building..

Advertisement