Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what happens when a child falsifies her age?

Options
  • 03-09-2011 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭

As above what happens when a child falsifies her age and gets her belly button pierced. Some Kip I won't name in tullamore butchered my niece. Can this be reported. She's only fifteen.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

No, it can't be reported. There is no law against piercings with regards to age. There was a discussion of it on the radio a month or two back, and the general consensus is that your niece lied, and you'll have to deal with it. General convention for some piercings is 16+ (tongue, etc..) - But if she lied, then you'll have to take that up with your daughter.

If the piercing itself was done poorly, then you could pop into the place and ask for a refund. Beyond that, you can't do much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

dlofnep wrote: »
    No, it can't be reported. There is no law against piercings with regards to age. There was a discussion of it on the radio a month or two back, and the general consensus is that your daughter lied, and you'll have to deal with it. General convention for some piercings is 16+ (tongue, etc..) - But if she lied, then you'll have to take that up with your daughter.

If the piercing itself was done poorly, then you could pop into the place and ask for a refund. Beyond that, you can't do much.
    tongue is actually 18+

If a child lies then you can do nothing apart from teaching your neice about being honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

tongue is actually 18+

Convention perhaps, but I don't think there is any legal basis for any age with regards to piercings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

There isn't but any reputable place wont do it till you're 18 for tongue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Legally you havent a leg to stand on, but as was already said if its a badly done piercing you could go back to the piercer and complain, although that might not do much god at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Kersmash wrote: »
    There isn't but any reputable place wont do it till you're 18 for tongue.

All well and good but op asked about bellybutton and not the tongue. Not getting onto you or anything but as far as this thread goes, it has nothing to do with tongues.
    As others have said op. There is no law. Can't blame the piercer, its your niece who was at fault. No matter how much you want to blame someone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

seanybiker wrote: »
    All well and good but op asked about bellybutton and not the tongue. Not getting onto you or anything but as far as this thread goes, it has nothing to do with tongues.
    As others have said op. There is no law. Can't blame the piercer, its your niece who was at fault. No matter how much you want to blame someone else
    mate you brought up the tongue I was merely corrcting the false age you gave for it, not getting onto you or anything.

Edit: not you was dlofnep my apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Bottom line, there are no laws governing tattoos and piercings in Ireland, so there's nothing you can do.
    Reputable studios will adhere to generally acknowledged guidelines for age, but there is nothing to prevent unscrupulous studios from piercing/tattooing anyone!

The UK have proper laws governing this, where it can be deemed sexual assault on a minor to do most piercings!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Was just saying to the sister that it'd probably be a good lesson for her if it got infected. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

mate you brought up the tongue I was merely corrcting the false age you gave for it, not getting onto you or anything.

Edit: not you was dlofnep my apologies

You ain't playing battlefield now raze. But thanks everyone for the contributions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

cursai wrote: »
    Was just saying to the sister that it'd probably be a good lesson for her if it got infected. :)

Well would you not rather that the piercing was ok, rather than her picking up an infection? Teenagers are going to rebel and do things behing your back, I know I went behind my mams back and got pierced at 15. Not saying it's right at all but it's not uncommon.

Advertisement