Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Console Ban 3-9-11 (Mod Warning Post #755)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

I think you should remove "FREE XBOX LIVE" from the account for the moment too!

I have removed this now but would like to point out that it is in no way an admission of any wrong doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

NORTH1 wrote: »
    1) My console will not connect to xbox live
    2) As point one
    3) done all in good order
    4) My account is now been recovered to the second console.

Text on screen is as follows
    "This console has been banned for violation of the terms of use. To protect the xbox live service and its members, microsoft does not provide details about console bans

There is no recourse for terms of use violations"

good man

its not anything to do with the free xbox live thing then so

and it cant be for sharing content with your sons xbox, or his would be banned too

IPAM wrote: »
    I wouldn't change anything, leave everything as is, iv seen that motto plenty of times including friends and none to my knowledgle have been banned

Too late done and while doing it I felt like I was doing something wrong!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

I have removed this now but would like to point out that it is in no way an admission of any wrong doing.

I know that. Since were still figuring out how the first console got banned I'm sure you wouldn't want the second to banned either so it's just a precaution!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Has anyone in the house used online software / usb memory sticks to downlod and use modded game saves?

There is a program where by you can downloaded modded xbox save files , save to USB then transfer them to the hard drive where the xbox reads them as normal saves?

Dont want to mention the programs name here as per the charter but thats not important anyway. It would explain the console - not GT ban and wouldnt involve any physical tampering in any way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Fireborn

mossie wrote: »
    Microsofts T&Cs cannot supercede the laws of a country.

My point is the laws of a country do not apply here. A country or any other legal entity is not involved, this is a service provider denying service to a now ex-customer for reasons they are allowed to withhold without exemption as detailed in terms and conditions the customer agreed to when he/she started the service.

I know that. Since were still figuring out how the first console got banned I'm sure you wouldn't want the second to banned either so it's just a precaution!

Ooh don't say that!!!

Fireborn wrote: »
    My point is the laws of a country do not apply here. A country or any other legal entity is not involved, this is a service provider denying service to a now ex-customer for reasons they are allowed to withhold without exemption as detailed in terms and conditions the customer agreed to when he/she started the service.

hes not an ex customer, theyre still charging him for the service

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Fireborn

Then I would imagine he might want to change that fact before he's back in small claims claiming microsoft stole off him.

hightower1 wrote: »
    Has anyone in the house used online software / usb memory sticks to downlod and use modded game saves?

There is a program where by you can downloaded modded xbox save files , save to USB then transfer them to the hard drive where the xbox reads them as normal saves?

Dont want to mention the programs name here as per the charter but thats not important anyway. It would explain the console - not GT ban and wouldnt involve any physical tampering in any way.

That can be put on the list too

There as not been any software moding/gamesaves to either console.

• Advertisement

Fireborn wrote: »
    Then I would imagine he might want to change that fact before he's back in small claims claiming microsoft stole off him.

I don't understand what your trying to say here?

Can you clarify?

hes saying cancel your xbla subscription before you make a thread about how microsoft are stealing money from you every month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

This was posted on the IRL clan website just a while ago:

Seems to have happened to others and on the forums people have said they think it may be related to the new zombie maps.

The reason some of us here said your ban was strongly related to the motto you put up is because it seems like the only thing that stands out to warrant a ban from your profile by looking at it.However, this is a new development and there is a possibility you could have been banned unfairly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I can't believe how retarded Microsoft are, why they don't just tell people exactly why their consoles are banned and save themselves so much time and effort having to explain themselves?? Not to mention the amount of negative publicity this must have garnered them. This thread alone has over 7000 views!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I can't believe how retarded Microsoft are, why they don't just tell people exactly why their consoles are banned and save themselves so much time and effort having to explain themselves?? Not to mention the amount of negative publicity this must have garnered them. This thread alone has over 7000 views!

I can see where MS are coming from, this way they don't give anything away to the modders who would use the info infuture to avoid detection

edit: they should however give a simple/basic reason without going into detail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCrmmTg38FU&feature=player_embedded#!

It is looking more likely that MS has made a big mistake.....I get the feeling something big could be coming down the line........Get your popcorn and watch this space....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 XG4M3M45T3RX

Ok people, were are going around in circles here and there has been no more progress in getting any answers. This has turned into a mal-informed legal battle that is failing to provide any FACTUAL information regarding where the consumer stands in relation to having his Console banned from the XBox Live service, and in fact the grounds for this ban.

XBox will not provide any information regarding this ban to prevent the information falling into the hands of Hackers / Modders and Cheaters.

I really do not see the need for this Thread to continue, despite the incredibly humerous aspect to it.

Time to face the facts, the console was banned, you will not get any reason for it, take it as a lesson i suppose.

IPAM wrote: »
    I can see where MS are coming from, this way they don't give anything away to the modders who would use the info infuture to avoid detection

edit: they should however give a simple/basic reason without going into detail

Agreed!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

OP: If the console was bought recently enough, you could chance your arm with the retailer, since Irish consumer law holds the retailer responsible.

Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980 states all goods must be fit for their purpose. This device was bought for online gaming and thus, is no longer fit for purpose. If it is still under a reasonable lifetime period, it is still covered by Consumer Law. (Someone else may be able to find reasonable lifetime for an Xbox, I think I heard 4 years bandied around in regards to Playstations when they were suffering YLOD)
    Therefore you may, if the reasonable lifetime of a given product exceeds the time period of any warranty, pursue the seller in respect of your statutory rights - 'The Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980'.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Ok people, were are going around in circles here and there has been no more progress in getting any answers. This has turned into a mal-informed legal battle that is failing to provide any FACTUAL information regarding where the consumer stands in relation to having his Console banned from the XBox Live service, and in fact the grounds for this ban.

XBox will not provide any information regarding this ban to prevent the information falling into the hands of Hackers / Modders and Cheaters.

I really do not see the need for this Thread to continue, despite the incredibly humerous aspect to it.

Time to face the facts, the console was banned, you will not get any reason for it, take it as a lesson i suppose.

And would that lesson be? Don't get banned?

• Advertisement

Jackobyte wrote: »
    OP: If the console was bought recently enough, you could chance your arm with the retailer, since Irish consumer law holds the retailer responsible.

Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980 states all goods must be fit for their purpose. This device was bought for online gaming and thus, is no longer fit for purpose. If it is still under a reasonable lifetime period, it is still covered by Consumer Law. (Someone else may be able to find reasonable lifetime for an Xbox, I think I heard 4 years bandied around in regards to Playstations when they were suffering YLOD)

And what would be my reason for doing that? apart from illegally returning an item I knew to be not fit for purpose, it would be a pretty ****ty thing to do to the next person that buys it.....would you not agree?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Lesson? As far as any of know he has done nothing wrong and until he finds out otherwise or tells us otherwise I see no reason to believe otherwise.

Personally if I had the time and it happened to me I would be trying my best to get a reasonable explanation from MS and a reinstatement of services if it was indeed a mistake.

Time seems to be turning.....

Who would benefit from closure of this thread?

Three posts all here?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

As above, what lesson?? The mind boggles! If he did nothing wrong or doesn't know what he did wrong how can he learn... :confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

And what would be my reason for doing that? apart from illegally returning an item I knew to be not fit for purpose, it would be a pretty ****ty thing to do to the next person that buys it.....would you not agree?

To be fair, they won't sell it onto the next guy to walk through the door, most likely returned to MS to replace/repair. They may ask you to wait for a time to get MS to check it out (confirm its not your fault). Maybe if they actually physically view your box they can confirm it hasn't been modded and unban it/replace it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I don't have much to add but I bet I'm not the only one waiting for a reveal of guilt from the son ala http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056075113

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Jackobyte wrote: »

The device is fit for purpose. He can still install and play games on it which is its primary purpose. He can no longer access an ancillary service which is separate from the device itself so I doubt that constitutes a fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

I'm just about to unfollow this thread, OP I suggested this multiple times on the thread but can you try create another XBL account as I think this was a GT ban only.

Time seems to be turning.....

Who would benefit from closure of this thread?

Three posts all here?!

Have to Start somewhere :-)

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Lesson? As far as any of know he has done nothing wrong and until he finds out otherwise or tells us otherwise I see no reason to believe otherwise.

Personally if I had the time and it happened to me I would be trying my best to get a reasonable explanation from MS and a reinstatement of services if it was indeed a mistake.

Agreed, However if you have a look back over previous comments you will see that Multiple people have provided information regarding suspensions and Perma Bans. But to reitterate the point - XBox enforcement teams do numerous inspections on the network and do not enforce console bans lightly, they cannot be reversed.

I do believe customers do deserve to get a brief discription as to why the ban happened, but they do not ban consoles for the sake of it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement