Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Console Ban 3-9-11 (Mod Warning Post #755)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Hahaha 5&6 are you for real? As little hope as you have for getting this ban overturned you have absolute zero chance of that happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Y'know, regardless of the actual outcome, I believe this has the makings of a legends of the boards thread! Microsoft admits a mistake it's a total shocker..... OP admits fault (and plants that size 10) and it's entertainment for the route that nearly was but wasn't. I am disappointed by the lack of updates to the thread today =*(

• Registered Users Posts: 37 RubberDuckz1la

by any chance did you happen to buy a total replay disk or save hack disk ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Asry

That list of demands back there is funny.

Asry wrote: »
    That list of demands back there is funny.
    Its like a hostage situation!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

The public forum apolagies are a bit OTT...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A bit OTT??? A bit? The guy is off his head if he thinks any company, in any situation, would do as he's demanding. Even if in the wrong, no company should have to apologies to an individual on a public forum of the consumer's choice. The whole thing is being handled in a ham-fisted way and I for one wouldn't entertain any complaint in the form of that letter.

I coming round to thinking MS are in the right on this one.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

A bit OTT??? A bit? The guy is off his head if he thinks any company, in any situation, would do as he's demanding. Even if in the wrong, no company should have to apologies to an individual on a public forum of the consumer's choice. The whole thing is being handled in a ham-fisted way and I for one wouldn't entertain any complaint in the form of that letter.

I coming round to thinking MS are in the right on this one.:p

You have the facts as I have presented them, Microsoft say they have the facts but for security reason won't release them. Yet it is becoming more clear that Microsoft has made a big mistake with this fail Ap25 error and ten days on and still not a word from Microsoft and you think I'm ham fisted.

If this goes on any longer its going to make sony look good, remember how the media had a field day with them during that?

Item 6 might be a little much buy if I get item 5 I'll look after 6 myself.

On your last point I have always been one to call a spade a spade, and Boards keeps a record of posts and thanks a simple exercise will show that your last comment is a little disengeniuos.

You are losing a lot of good will though with the way you are continuing (behaviour wise - tackling everyone who doesnt agree with you etc.) on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

Meesared wrote: »
    You are losing a lot of good will though with the way you are continuing (behaviour wise - tackling everyone who doesnt agree with you etc.) on though.

Hold on!!

If I have made any mistakes please point them out. I have not made any personal attacks if I have report them.

As I have said I call a spade a spade. What good will is lost doing that well so be it.

Your comment above is your opinion so the use of the words "a lot" is misplaced. I have lost your good will, but in fairness I never really had it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Ffs the fanboyism on tho thread is hilarious. Just because no one expects MS to apoloise individually does mean that any angry customer shouldn't request

Sure if people voiced their concerns in line with corporation's preference the world would be an even more messed up place.

Granted I wouldn't air my complaint in the same way as the OP, he's an angry, previously loyal customer. And assuming he's on the right here, he's dead right to be angry. While his request for an apology may not be realised, if MS read his letter it will show how angry their customers are

I've said it before and I'll say it again. RROD highlighted how awful MS can be on many levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

NORTH1 wrote: »
    You have the facts as I have presented them, Microsoft say they have the facts but for security reason won't release them.
    Frankly, you're a stranger on the internet, and we have to take your word with a pinch of salt. Look at the ban forums on Xbox.com, and you'll see hundreds of people as determined and convinced as you that they were wronged. 10 days? Yet absolutely no coverage on any major gaming websites, not even a rumour story, nor has there been any word from Microsoft or Xbox Support. *Still waiting for the son to be to blame* I've been monitoring a few social networks over the last few days, and this isn't some widespread ban. I probably found <50 people on Twitter claiming to be wrongfully banned. Now, if you're blaming a COD map pack, the biggest game of the decade, and the top DLC sold on all platforms recently, then this would be a much bigger issue. I've found people who said that they got console banned for Marketplace theft, so you might wanna have another look into that, since it's surely why you got banned

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

There's a very simple reason why Microsoft won't provide information as to the how and why of a console ban:

To prevent hackers from finding loopholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭The Left Hook

I myself am thinking of banning Microsoft.

Lets see .....

5 dead xbox's

Banned me for 2 weeks because i didnt have an address in my billing information.

They took money from a friends bank account for my xbox live account which i was not using as my xbox was dead (again) They managed to do this through an old (out of date) credit card. I did get a refund after a battle.

They still dont give you a way of cancelling online. You have to do it over the phone.

Hold on!!

If I have made any mistakes please point them out. I have not made any personal attacks if I have report them.

As I have said I call a spade a spade. What good will is lost doing that well so be it.

Your comment above is your opinion so the use of the words "a lot" is misplaced. I have lost your good will, but in fairness I never really had it?
    I didnt say you made it personal, I'm just saying every person who disagrees with you instantly gets jumped on by you.
    Healium wrote: »
    Frankly, you're a stranger on the internet, and we have to take your word with a pinch of salt. Look at the ban forums on Xbox.com, and you'll see hundreds of people as determined and convinced as you that they were wronged. 10 days? Yet absolutely no coverage on any major gaming websites, not even a rumour story, nor has there been any word from Microsoft or Xbox Support. *Still waiting for the son to be to blame* I've been monitoring a few social networks over the last few days, and this isn't some widespread ban. I probably found <50 people on Twitter claiming to be wrongfully banned. Now, if you're blaming a COD map pack, the biggest game of the decade, and the top DLC sold on all platforms recently, then this would be a much bigger issue. I've found people who said that they got console banned for Marketplace theft, so you might wanna have another look into that, since it's surely why you got banned
    Ive heard so many people claiming they have been "banned wrongly" both on Xbox.com's forums and on here also, where as they always turn out to be rightly banned, so basically I pay no heed to anyone claiming they are banned wrongly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Advice on this please.....

I tried running this and my anti virus keeps deleting it saying....

This is a trojan Artemis!04430C37BBBE

That looks like someone trying to take advantage of the situation to spread trojans (to get passwords etc). Why would downloading a program on your PC help figure it out? I'd stay well clear of dodgy links/applications like that!

My initial thought was that in all likelihood your son's console got banned and he did a sneaky swap.
    Could be something else though, I'm interested to see what happens, it's like a soap opera at this stage :)

But I do agree that demanding public apologies on a forum from any company is just madness to be honest, even if they are to blame, no company will do this.

I myself am thinking of banning Microsoft.

Lets see .....

5 dead xbox's

Banned me for 2 weeks because i didnt have an address in my billing information.

They took money from a friends bank account for my xbox live account which i was not using as my xbox was dead (again) They managed to do this through an old (out of date) credit card. I did get a refund after a battle.

They still dont give you a way of cancelling online. You have to do it over the phone.

So let's look at this:

1. You didn't provide correct information regarding billing.
    2. You had billing information from your friend there, despite not using the XBox, and want Microsoft to know that you're not using that specific console.

Correct ?
    Sounds like you need to keep a better eye on stuff like that, instead of blaming Microsoft.
    That's a bit like having an internet bill on your name, but with someone else's credit card information and then blaming the ISP when they bill, despite not using the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    There's a very simple reason why Microsoft won't provide information as to the how and why of a console ban:

To prevent hackers from finding loopholes.

I can't see how a message like "DVD Firmware modification detected" or "Engaged in online fraud" would help hackers find loopholes.
    koneko wrote: »
    That looks like someone trying to take advantage of the situation to spread trojans (to get passwords etc). Why would downloading a program on your PC help figure it out? I'd stay well clear of dodgy links/applications like that!

The PC program "XVal 2.0" can decrypt the X status value displayed by your xbox and tell you if the console is banned. It's a legit program (though probably not much use to the OP now), however it's just the sort of thing someone would add a trojan to, the OP must have been attempting to d/l it from somewhere dodgy.
    My initial thought was that in all likelihood your son's console got banned and he did a sneaky swap.
    Could be something else though, I'm interested to see what happens, it's like a soap opera at this stage :)

It should be pretty easy to check - downloaded content will work offline and for anyone on the console it was originally downloaded on. All the OP has to do is find an Arcade title he downloaded on his console and make sure it still plays (offline).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Aye, that is true, that's a quick test. With the licence being what it is, if you're offline, it'll only work with the original account. Good call.

But then he did say his account doesn't work on his console any more now, which is a bit odd. He could copy it onto a USB stick and put that on the banned console and try it that way.

So let's look at this:

1. You didn't provide correct information regarding billing.
    2. You had billing information from your friend there, despite not using the XBox, and want Microsoft to know that you're not using that specific console.

Correct ?
    Sounds like you need to keep a better eye on stuff like that, instead of blaming Microsoft.
    That's a bit like having an internet bill on your name, but with someone else's credit card information and then blaming the ISP when they bill, despite not using the internet.

1 why do they need my billing address when they dont send me invoices. And why is that a 2 week ban.

2 I didnt have my friends billing information on there. I bought a 12 month card when i got my new Xbox a year later. There were 2 months outstanding on the old account , despite not being logged into for 7 months. I tried to activate the 12 month game card, they wouldnt let me unless i paid the 2 months that i never used the service. I used a friends credit card to pay for the 2 months that i never had service , and also didnt get my other.

I was hoping they would suspend my account since the xbox was broken, it was also out of warranty.

A year later i let my 12 month card run out. Thinking that will be fine. But no , they used my friends out of date credit card to access his bank account and started taking money again . But as i said i kicked up a fuss about this it nearly went to court as i had a case. I got my money back.

Microsoft (xbox live) as a company had my respect , they lost it.

So its Microsoft that need to keep an eye on their "stuff"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

koneko wrote: »
    But then he did say his account doesn't work on his console any more now, which is a bit odd. He could copy it onto a USB stick and put that on the banned console and try it that way.

Well yes and no (and be careful).

MS (and I believe this was just being nasty and petty) introduced new penalties in dash 2.0.8955.0 (link)

* Disables hard drive installs for banned consoles, can no longer be used as a media center, and user information, such as profiles and game saves, appear corrupted when used on another console.

The hard-drive installs were reinstated in a later update, however you cannot move profiles&save games from a banned console to an unbanned one (they appear as corrupted). If you move your profile on a USB stick to a banned console then it's corrupted and can't be moved back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

But no , they used my friends out of date credit card to access his bank account and started taking money again . But as i said i kicked up a fuss about this it nearly went to court as i had a case. I got my money back.

This has happened with me before. According to a rep from MS, supposedly it's the fault of the credit card company for not refusing the payment, rather than MS' fault for charging a credit card past expiry...

1 why do they need my billing address when they dont send me invoices. And why is that a 2 week ban.

2 I didnt have my friends billing information on there. I bought a 12 month card when i got my new Xbox a year later. There were 2 months outstanding on the old account , despite not being logged into for 7 months. I tried to activate the 12 month game card, they wouldnt let me unless i paid the 2 months that i never used the service. I used a friends credit card to pay for the 2 months that i never had service , and also didnt get my other.

I was hoping they would suspend my account since the xbox was broken, it was also out of warranty.

A year later i let my 12 month card run out. Thinking that will be fine. But no , they used my friends out of date credit card to access his bank account and started taking money again . But as i said i kicked up a fuss about this it nearly went to court as i had a case. I got my money back.

Microsoft (xbox live) as a company had my respect , they lost it.

So its Microsoft that need to keep an eye on their "stuff"

They don't ban accounts because of billing issues, you were probably suspended which is the normal practice if payments don't go through.

Also, they don't take money from any account if there is only a prepaid card active on it, because they can't.
    So either you or your friend entered his credit card details on that account and used it to purchase a subscription.
    If you have a credit card subscription and add a prepaid card before the first subscription runs out, you will switch to the prepaid card. If that runs out the credit card subscription will kick in again.

The fact you didn't use the console doesn't have anything to do with it, Microsoft don't know that.

edit: TheChrisD is correct, Microsoft will try to get money from the account, even if the credit card is expired or invalid.
    If the card company/bank allow that (Which they shouldn't) it's not Microsoft's fault.

They don't ban accounts because of billing issues, you were probably suspended which is the normal practice if payments don't go through.

Also, they don't take money from any account if there is only a prepaid card active on it, because they can't.
    So either you or your friend entered his credit card details on that account and used it to purchase a subscription.
    If you have a credit card subscription and add a prepaid card before the first subscription runs out, you will switch to the prepaid card. If that runs out the credit card subscription will kick in again.

The fact you didn't use the console doesn't have anything to do with it, Microsoft don't know that.

Ummmmm OK

I suppose i didnt go to my solicitor either, because Microsoft were right ?
    And i also got a refund because Microsoft are a kind company ? ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

I think at the end of the day you have your console modded and you get banned , its what you deserve.

I just wish they would funnel all this energy into making a better console and better customer service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

pH wrote: »
    I can't see how a message like "DVD Firmware modification detected" or "Engaged in online fraud" would help hackers find loopholes.
    Well for one, it'd tell the modders that the firmware they have been using for X amount of time is no longer effective rather than the fact that they played a specific pirated game. That's a pretty piece of info to give them. :)

Ummmmm OK

I suppose i didnt go to my solicitor either, because Microsoft were right ?
    And i also got a refund because Microsoft are a kind company ? ?

Refunds are often seen as a courtesy towards the customer, this doesn't mean Microsoft admit any wrongdoing (Sometimes they do though, when an agent makes a mistake on a call) ;)

I think at the end of the day you have your console modded and you get banned , its what you deserve.

I just wish they would funnel all this energy into making a better console and better customer service.

Would you rather hackers & modders running riot (even more than they already do) on Xbox Live?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Meesared wrote: »
    Would you rather hackers & modders running riot (even more than they already do) on Xbox Live?

Who is that directed at?

I don't think people want full details on a ban, like I've said before, a simple "Marketplace theft" "online theft" TBH I don't know much about XBL and the reasons for banning or why people can be banned but surely MS can come up with very basic reasons to give that won't give modders/hackers any important details that can be used in future illegal activity

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement