Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Console Ban 3-9-11 (Mod Warning Post #755)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭Varik

No such thing as a class action lawsuit anymore now that US companies can choose to deal with people individually.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭darklighter

Following this thread with huge interest, I feel that a lot of ppl have DL'ed the zombie maps(quite popular ya know) so if its the DL then 1000's of players would be affected. I doubt its this.
    It could be how the points were got to DL the maps in first place?

Also lot of parents are clueless to what their kids and their m8's DL and put on USB sticks, alter their XBox code thru Windows PC Media Centre connected to XBOX etc ....while your not using it yourself.
    (+MW2 is an 18's game so should they even be playing it?)

I'm thinking its a hack to get Ms points that they got from a mate etc.

It could be something like an in game hack that you might think is harmless but destroys FPS shooters for everyone else playing the 'normal' (as its released by Activision) game online.

IMO they should ban ppl for this, 3 day bans, then a week, then console bans.

MS should def explain why. Pls let us know.

I dont think anyone disagrees with people being banned for hacking/modding/theft etc.

But in this case, that doesnt SEEM to have happened, imo the OP seems to be genuine. IF he has been banned for a VALID reason, does it not make sense to make him aware of why he was banned so it doesnt happen again?? Not provide a detailed technical explanation as this would be of benefit to modders, but something along the lines of "unauthorised modified content was detected on your console on Sep 1st". This would be good customer service and should decrease the amount of effort that MS have to spend on banning consoles if genuinely innonocent parties know what to avois doing in the future.
    Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Another one who thinks Microsoft will leave themselves open to lawsuits like amateurs...

I fully understand if people want to take legal action, but do you honestly think that a multi-billion dollar company would just try and cover stuff up like that ?

You do realise you are talking about MS??? They are notorious for getting themselves into lawsuits. Do a google search on them for some examples. MS keep a team in the US DoJ in business on anti-trust matters.

On another point, you can be sure that MS and/or its PR reps (like all large companies) keeps track of what is being written about it on the net. This doesnt involve loads of people looking at a screen all day. A computer program catalogues all references using key-words and flags anything of relevance. If this wave of console bans does turn out to be a gigantic screw-up that is going to end up in litigation, you can be sure it will hit the desk of the CEO sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

You do realise you are talking about MS??? They are notorious for getting themselves into lawsuits. Do a google search on them for some examples. MS keep a team in the US DoJ in business on anti-trust matters.

On another point, you can be sure that MS and/or its PR reps (like all large companies) keeps track of what is being written about it on the net. This doesnt involve loads of people looking at a screen all day. A computer program catalogues all references using key-words and flags anything of relevance. If this wave of console bans does turn out to be a gigantic screw-up that is going to end up in litigation, you can be sure it will hit the desk of the CEO sooner rather than later.

That's the whole idea.
    How many of those cases have they actually lost ?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭darklighter

That's the whole idea.
    How many of those cases have they actually lost ?

Are you serious???

Do a search - start with the Netscape Browser case

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Are you serious???

Do a search - start with the Netscape Browser case

My apologies, I thought were talking about people taking Microsoft to court, not other companies :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

hightower1 wrote: »
    Soc -> Conspiricy theories -> this way...... :rolleyes:

We have a rocket scientist ^^^

how is waiting to get all the information before releasing a statement a conspiracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ColdDeck45

I'm still waiting for an MS rep to call me. Although i did download the latest Zombies Map pack for Black Ops. (Free because i had bought the hardened edition on release) I don't think that's the reason for the ban. From what i've seen over the last week or so those who were caught for Market Place theft had their LIVE accounts suspended for 9000 years. Any console bans linked to Market Place theft was because the gamertag had previous offenses and fell under the repeat offenders section of the ToU.
    Here's a post i put up on the Xbox forums,

"You are correct in saying that it is a guess. But from the research I've done over the past week or so it seems pretty clear that this is the cause. After seeing the "Failed AP25 Challenge" i did a quick Google search to learn about it and came across many shady sites that had the information readily available. Checking the dates, these shady sites have known about AP25 for almost a year. So i guess it's just the normal folk that new nothing of it. lol Anyway, here's a few bits from one of them that was written on the 13th of November, 2010.

What is AP 2.5 /2.6?
    Anti-Piracy version 2.5 is the newest addition by Microsoft to detect custom DVD Drive firmware and is included in the new Kinect dashboard. This check has been included for some time but hasn't been activated until Kinect. This authentication blocks backups from being loaded and displays a message that states " This disc is unreadable."

(Note From ME: I've personally had this error with the original Black Ops disk.)

Is it safe to play AP 2.5 games on Xbox Live? (Note from ME: Talking about running backup disks on the console.)
    No. Your console will be flagged on the Microsoft Authentication Network and you will be banned from Xbox Live and its possible your files and profile will be corrupted.

So there you have it. This is why I'm convinced that it's a false flag for piracy that has happened to me. Also from the reports that are coming back from people who have talked to MS people after having filed with the BBB. (Like Bonecrusher53 above) They are all being told that the were banned for piracy.
    The consoles have not been unbanned, claiming that their system is fool proof and 100% accurate. I for one have only used original games in an unmodded Xbox. So i know, for a fact, that this fool proof system isn't as fool proof as they claim. To add insult to injury it turns out that the people this anti piracy is supposed to catch have known about it, and how to get around it, for a long time.

Doesn't it worry you that when the next wave comes you could be banned? Windows had the Blue Screen of Death. Turns out Xbox's have the "This Disk is unreadable" screen of banishment. "

Since MS usually bans in waves, I'd be curious to know if the application of this "Failed AP25 challenge" had been in previous waves. The last wave i remember was at the release of MW2. and MW2 it seems was one of the first to have this security on it. It's only predecessor possibly being Fable III. What you guys think? Could this be the 1st wave that bans for failed AP25?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

My apologies, I thought were talking about people taking Microsoft to court, not other companies :rolleyes:

Microsoft v Mikerowesoft

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_vs._MikeRoweSoft

Microsoft have a history too of taking its time on making the right choice. Even with school children.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

NORTH1 wrote: »
    Microsoft v Mikerowesoft

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_vs._MikeRoweSoft

Microsoft have a history too of taking its time on making the right choice. Even with school children.....
    Interesting example...

17 year old kid does something he knows damn well is wrong.
    Microsoft step in.
    Kid embarrasses Microsoft to the point that they have to back down.
    Kid wins, Microsoft still look bad.

Let's hope in your case your claim has more merit than the kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Microsoft have gotten back to me

http://clickonline.com/games/xbox-360-bannings-are-not-to-do-with-black-ops-rezurrection-pack/3159/

Every console banning is for modding according to the official line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Helix wrote: »

http://clickonline.com/games/xbox-360-bannings-are-not-to-do-with-black-ops-rezurrection-pack/3159/

Well that clears it all up. Well done microsoft:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Helix wrote: »

"A microsoft spokesman"

Surely you got a name of that person?

I'd say it's more likely that Activision threatened legal action if you did not retract your previous statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

So, we're back to inserting size 10's into North's son then :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ColdDeck45

Thanks for that. Will be sure to mention it to the MS rep when he calls. Now will he accept photos of my xbox from all angles, seal intact, and original games? From what i hear, no. Because they're 100% accurate. I probably photoshopped them anyway.

I was starting to feel numb towards this whole issue, but that just sparked it up again.
    Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

"A microsoft spokesman"

Surely you got a name of that person?

I'd say it's more likely that Activision threatened legal action if you did not retract your previous statement.

ahahah yeah, thats why the previous story is still online?
    Hi Peter – I received your request and wanted to provide you with a statement below. Please let me know if I can help with anything else.

“Consoles banned from Xbox LIVE have no relation to downloads of Call of Duty: Black Ops Rezurrection add-on content. We take action against consoles that have been modified and are used to play pirated game discs. In line with our commitment to combat piracy, and support safer and more secure gameplay for the nearly 35 million members of our Xbox LIVE community, we ban these modded consoles from Xbox LIVE.” – Microsoft Spokesperson

Best,

Danica

Danica Stickel  

Edelman | Seattle

I thought the console had to be modded to play pirate disks?

Am I wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

I thought the console had to be modded to play pirate disks?

Am I wrong?
    Modding is a very all encompassing term though, it doesnt necessarily have to mean opening up the console and taking a soldering iron to it.

Meesared wrote: »
    Modding is a very all encompassing term though, it doesnt necessarily have to mean opening up the console and taking a soldering iron to it.

Ok agreed then there would be evidence of altered software then?

Am I right that the console has to be altered to play pirate disks?

Ok agreed then there would be evidence of altered software then?

Am I right that the console has to be altered to play pirate disks?
    Yes it would, but it not usually very visually obvious.

Meesared wrote: »
    Yes it would, but it not usually very visually obvious.

Well then I must have an open and shut case with a completely unaltered console sitting in my front room.

I'm either guilt of modding my console or innocent of any wrong doing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Edelman also look after their stuff in Ireland, based on St. Stephens green in Dublin.

Well then I must have an open and shut case with a completely unaltered console sitting in my front room.
    As I said its not obvious if a console has been modded or not.
    I'm either guilt of modding my console or innocent of any wrong doing!

Well....yeah... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Edelman also look after their stuff in Ireland, based on St. Stephens green in Dublin.

Edelman is just a pr group, from what i reckon they organise events for microsoft nothing more,

Have you tried going up here

http://www.microsoft.com/ireland/contact/

Microsoft Ireland (Sales, Marketing and Services Group)
    Building 3, Carmanhall Road, Sandyford Industrial Estate, Dublin 18

Contact the Microsoft Ireland Management Team here.

Microsoft EMEA Operations Centre (EOC)
    Building 3, Carmanhall Road, Sandyford Industrial Estate, Dublin 18

Microsoft European Development Centre (EDC)
    South County Business Park, Leopardstown, Dublin 18

As i mentioned before go up with your xbox,

Ask them there to verify it hasn't been tampered with.

Don't leave until someone looks after it for you.

He shouldn't have to, to be honest . He is a paying customer and should be receiving the customer service that he pays for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Doesn't consumer legislation not trump Microsoft here? Surely an item cannot be blacklisted without some burden of wrong doing. It is a physical item that costs a fair bit, along with the added investment in digital content.

Why keep mentioning tackling a monolith of a company, when you can probably go the consumer route and sidetrack Microsoft's intransigence?

As posters have mentioned before, dismayed at the amount of people that would be happy to 'just accept things as they are'. I'm guessing a good few with that opinion are the end users, rather than the console buyer..

Can the small claims court play a part in this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Well then I must have an open and shut case with a completely unaltered console sitting in my front room

Keep in mind though not all mods require tampering physically with the box itself,some can be done through live or usb connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Keep in mind though not all mods require tampering physically with the box itself,some can be done through live or usb connection.

That's not true, currently (and since launch) there is no way to softmod the 360 - all mods (DVD firmware & JTag) require opening the 360 and 'tampering' with it.

It was possible to inject XBLA games & profiles onto USB sticks to play them - but this is not a 'mod' and resulted in the latest banwave (of profiles not consoles) for Marketplace theft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

pH wrote: »
    That's not true, currently (and since launch) there is no way to softmod the 360 - all mods (DVD firmware & JTag) require opening the 360 and 'tampering' with it.

It was possible to inject XBLA games & profiles onto USB sticks to play them - but this is not a 'mod' and resulted in the latest banwave (of profiles not consoles) for Marketplace theft.

I'd have to disagree with that tbh , there are USB hacks out there allowing in game items and modded game saves. Things that should have been purchases through live but not, and that could result in a ban. Being bemused after clearning deus ex : hr for the first time and finding no +new game I used this software to mod a game save giving crazy amounts of cash , weapons and mode (even more that the inventory should hold etc). You can also get items and gamer pictures from the same software (which I didnt btw) but it IS possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

pH wrote: »

I'd have to disagree with that tbh , there are USB hacks out there allowing in game items and modded game saves. Things that should have been purchases through live but not, and that could result in a ban. Being bemused after clearning deus ex : hr for the first time and finding no +new game I used this software to mod a game save giving crazy amounts of cash , weapons and mode (even more that the inventory should hold etc). You can also get items and gamer pictures from the same software (which I didnt btw) but it IS possible.

I would say OP's son may have done something like this if its an out and out console ban...

• Advertisement

I'm very confused, what your talking about here is changing game environment and surely that has to be linked to the profile that is doing the editing and has nothing to do with the console itself?!

As has been said above it is becoming more clear that these consoles bans are due to piracy and this requires the console to be modded I thought?!

Either way none of the above has happened my console....The only modding to the console is through microsofts own updates.

How would I know if the software on the console was modded?

What I have noticed is that up until the 15Th of Sept there is still new people on-line complaining of just been banned. This is still an active ban wave and Microsoft seem to be oblivious that they are making mistakes.

They also seem to want the courts system to iron out their errors in the system. I'm sure the Judges will love to hear that their time is not worth as much as Microsofts time to spend on this problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement