Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Console Ban 3-9-11 (Mod Warning Post #755)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

I don't think this is a permanent console ban, if you create another GT on the system you should be able get access to XBL again. From the above post I'd say the enforcement team had reason to believe you were acquiring or sharing 'Free Xbox Live' codes. If you violate the Xbox Live Terms of Use by going online with a jtagged console you would be flagged imediately for a permanent console ban, same goes for a flashed DVD drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

I think in this case the OP is stating to make Xbox LIVE a free service not promoting that he can get you free LIVE.

Not worth a console ban I would think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I think in this case the OP is stating to make Xbox LIVE a free service not promoting that he can get you free LIVE.

make live free.

free xbox live.

see the difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Here is an odd question North1, and it may be worth verifying.
    Are you sure that is your xbox?

I know of someone who once broke an xbox and replaced it with another. Although his intentions were good, he was unaware of the fact that the console was banned and it was not discovered for some time after the switch was made. I am not suggesting that it was your son, wife or other family member, but it would be worth verifying. It's just one of those just in case scenarios - wife spills water on the xbox, buys a secondhand one in gamestop, swaps the HDD.

Seems the enforcement team have a shoot first ask questions later policy, I can see how they might have misinterpreted 'Free Xbox Live', taking it as a violation of the the XBL Terms rather than a statement.

His GT would have been banned only in this case, it's not a permanent console ban unless it says 'services have been suspended until 1/1/9999' or something along those lines...

• Advertisement

Yes I do know the difference-I already pointed it out? His wording is poor. He (I'm sure) means to say to Free Xbox LIVE as in free it from being a paid service but how would Microsoft know this? That's why I said it was not worth a console ban if they thought he was offering free LIVE. Please keep up Raze:D

Yes I do know the difference-I already pointed it out? but how would Microsoft know this? That's why I said it was not worth a console ban if they thought he was offering free LIVE. Please keep up Raze:D
    If I said free xbox live and put it online nobody would assume I was saying make it free, they would think i could give free live.

Can't blame the enforcement team for op's bad wording

99% of the time that people put this on the their gamer profile is to con people out of MSP etc...

I think we have finally found why you may have been console banned for. Microsoft probably has a system to for profiles with certain keywords in it like "Free" and "LIVE". If these pop up and they take a look to see that you have "Free Xbox LIVE" they are not going to think you want xbox LIVE to be a free service but that you are scamming people. This would then lead them to believe all profiles on your xbox has free LIVE and that you have scammed others and hence the entire console ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

Meesared wrote: »
    I'm bowing out of this thread, I'll leave it at this;

You haven't a snowballs hope in hell.

Glad to see reason so rife today :rolleyes:

Edit: OPs GT: http://http://live.xbox.com/en-US/MyXbox/Profile?gamertag=N0rth

Note the "FREE XBOX LIVE" in the motto

Would the above not lead to an account ban if it was against the terms?

The above was part a an online campaign to make xbox live a free service.
    I never changed my motto this must be where I broke the rules?!

As you are leaving the debate you wont mind me post this

I have listened to you all through this tread give advice on how MS proof to my breaking the rules yet all this time you have not mention once how you are breaking the rules here!
    The Mods/Admins reserve the right to edit posts...company names etc.You are welcome to recommend or fairly criticize a product or company. But if you have a connection with the company or any other potential conflict of interest, please state this in your reply.

I would seem that microsoft just breeds contempt of its costumers.

If anyone else has potential conflicts of interest it would be nice to know where their advice is coming from....

99% of the time that people put this on the their gamer profile is to con people out of MSP etc...

I think we have finally found why you may have been console banned for. Microsoft probably has a system to for profiles with certain keywords in it like "Free" and "LIVE". If these pop up and they take a look to see that you have "Free Xbox LIVE" they are not going to think you want xbox LIVE to be a free service but that you are scamming people. This would then lead them to believe all profiles on your xbox has free LIVE and that you have scammed others and hence the entire console ban.

This was part of a campaign an number of years back to make Xbox live a free service, a mail went around asking people to put this in the motto.

I never changed it back and funnily enough I never got a post from anyone looking for free xbox live. So 100% percent of the random people I play with didnt see, didnt care, or knew what was meant in my moto.

Would this not lead to an account ban anyway?

This is a red herring..

At this point I would like to know if anyone on this tread as a conflict of interest in the advice they are giving to me here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭Varik

NORTH1 wrote: »
    At this point I would like to know if anyone on this tread as a conflict of interest in the advice they are giving to me here.

You found us out, everyone who has posted something that does not praise you for standing up to the man and his illegitimate ban works for MS.

It's not like we've been seeing posts like this(boo hoo i've been banned) for years and following the industry that not once has ever show that anyone has ever had a hardware ban for no reason.

Most times when a company loses in the small claims court that's it, but with the trouble they'll get from so many false claims that will now have precedent you can be sure if you somehow magical do win they'll appeal and that goes to the Circuit Court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Not a conflict of interest, I think this way on my own

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I do have a conflict of interest, I support XBox360 and don't want you to call in asking why your console is banned.
    It's friday, leave us alone. :p

I'm actually Bill Gates...banning all those x-box's was the best troll evar!

So I take it none for you would find it funny that a member of xbox customer support was on this tread offering what you all believe is independent advice put is in fact touting the company line.

Or was I the only only one here that didn't know he/she works in xbox customer support?

Or do you not really care?

So I take it none for you would find it funny that a member of xbox customer support was on this tread offering what you all believe is independent advice put is in fact touting the company line.

Or was I the only only one here that didn't know he/she works in xbox customer support?

Listen, I sometimes look in this part of boards to help some people out with issues or questions, since I know what I'm talking about.

The fact you don't like what is being said re. your console ban doesn't mean we're just 'touting the company line'.

I hope your issue gets solved, but if I say that Microsoft doesn't just ban consoles without proof then that's a fact.
    I could of course tell you to keep sending emails, call in, complain to the European HQ,... but since that would mean giving you false hope I don't do it.

NORTH1 can you try create another XBL account on that console it may have been just a profile ban you should still be able to access XBL

Meesared wrote: »
    Not a conflict of interest, I think this way on my own

You must have misunderstood my remark.

All this time on this tread you have never disclosed if you had any conflict of interest in the advice you where giving to the other reads of this.

As xbox Support teams failure to deal with my problem in a normal way, would it not be funny that a member of that team was on here giving independent advice?

You must have misunderstood my remark.

All this time on this tread you have never disclosed if you had any conflict of interest in the advice you where giving to the other reads of this.

As xbox Support teams failure to deal with my problem in a normal way, would it not be funny that a member of that team was on here giving independent advice?
    It would be funny wouldnt it!

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Listen, I sometimes look in this part of boards to help some people out with issues or questions, since I know what I'm talking about.

The fact you don't like what is being said re. your console ban doesn't mean we're just 'touting the company line'.

I hope your issue gets solved, but if I say that Microsoft doesn't just ban consoles without proof then that's a fact.
    I could of course tell you to keep sending emails, call in, complain to the European HQ,... but since that would mean giving you false hope I don't do it.

You may not realize it be your line is the company line, it's what I've been getting since last Saturday.

What you guys don't really comprehend is I have a case as long as you don't inform me of what it is you think I did wrong the more determined I become.

I am in the right on this matter and I'm sure the courts would find it interesting the way Microsoft has drag out my anxiety.

By the way you are the guy I'm talking about so there's more them one then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

A lot of companies throw in all sorts of nonsense about jurisdiction of contracts. The reality is that they are subject to Irish and European consumer protection legislation and no amount of T&Cs can get them out of that one.

You should start off by being civil with them though before you escalate it.

1) E-mail / phone customer care and see what they say.
    2) Make a formal written complaint and send it by registered mail.
    3) Look at more serious options. I wouldn't entirely write off Small Claims Court. It's possible that it could be a simple breech of consumer law.

I'm sure there are, don't know who though.

if you feel so strongly about your case I suggest you go through with it, I'm kinda curious myself how it will work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Listen, if you're gonna be a dick, I'm going to lose any and all pity for you. I appreciate that the support people post on here - they're probably risking their jobs by doing so. At the end of the day, they can't help you with what you want. They can't give you a reason for why you got banned. They also came out and said that they're support staff, so nobody is pretending to be independent and deceive you.
    You may not realize it be your line is the company line, it's what I've been getting since last Saturday.

What you guys don't really comprehend is I have a case as long as you don't inform me of what it is you think I did wrong the more determined I become.

I am in the right on this matter and I'm sure the courts would find it interesting the way Microsoft has drag out my anxiety.

By the way you are the guy I'm talking about so there's more them one then?
    I'm open to correction, but I'm pretty sure it's in the terms you agreed to that MS don't have to give you a reason for a ban. I think someone quoted it a few pages ago. If so, you have absolutely no legal right or case

Healium wrote: »
    Listen, if you're gonna be a dick, I'm going to lose any and all pity for you. I appreciate that the support people post on here - they're probably risking their jobs by doing so. At the end of the day, they can't help you with what you want. They can't give you a reason for why you got banned. They also came out and said that they're support staff, so nobody is pretending to be independent and deceive you.
    I'm open to correction, but I'm pretty sure it's in the terms you agreed to that MS don't have to give you a reason for a ban. I think someone quoted it a few pages ago. If so, you have absolutely no legal right or case

Don't call me a Dick please.

I must have missed where they came out and announced they were staff and apologies for that, and in this climate I would even hate to xbox support staff losing their jobs no matter how incompetent they are.

Again sorry for missing that post.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I think the attitude of some of the people on here is terrible,

It seems to be like something from "1984".

Well if you got banned you must have done something wrong so therefore you deserved to get banned, so therefore if you got banned you deserved to get banned, because of course Microsoft don't make mistakes.

Microsoft always have proof of course. Its double checked by 2 of their employees. Wonderful that's put my mind at ease, if 2 of these well trained people say he should be banned, then he obviously deserved.

Of course no one has ever seen a case where someone was banned wrongly. I wonder why? A bit hard to prove your innocence when they won't even say what you have been banned for.

Pretty shady practices if you ask me.

I also love the idea that you could get banned for changing your tagline to something like "Free xbox live". Give me a break this is like something you would get out of a police state.

Then you have microsoft employees posting in here not declaring in vested interests, the whole episode leaves a very poor taste in the mouth.

OP I hope you do get to the bottom of this but I wouldn't hold out much hope. I would start with a request under the Data protection act and the FOI act and see if that gets you anywhere.

If not then it looks like you will need to buy a new console. Though not necessarily a microsoft console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Asry

....in this climate I would even hate to xbox support staff losing their jobs no matter how incompetent they are.

Ah now, you just asked not to be called a dick. So don't act like one?

adrian522 wrote: »
    I think the attitude of some of the people on here is terrible,

It seems to be like something from "1984".

Well if you got banned you must have done something wrong so therefore you deserved to get banned, so therefore if you got banned you deserved to get banned, because of course Microsoft don't make mistakes.

Microsoft always have proof of course. Its double checked by 2 of their employees. Wonderful that's put my mind at ease, if 2 of these well trained people say he should be banned, then he obviously deserved.

Of course no one has ever seen a case where someone was banned wrongly. I wonder why? A bit hard to prove your innocence when they won't even say what you have been banned for.

Pretty shady practices if you ask me.

I also love the idea that you could get banned for changing your tagline to something like "Free xbox live". Give me a break this is like something you would get out of a police state.

Then you have microsoft employees posting in here not declaring in vested interests, the whole episode leaves a very poor taste in the mouth.

OP I hope you do get to the bottom of this but I wouldn't hold out much hope. I would start with a request under the Data protection act and the FOI act and see if that gets you anywhere.

If not then it looks like you will need to buy a new console. Though not necessarily a microsoft console.

Ha, God. Do you really think anyone will get anywhere with Microsoft? One of the biggest companies in the world? Do you not think they're completely watertight covered with data protection acts and privacy policies?

I mean for God's sake. At the end of the day you agreed to T&Cs and the Terms of Use and Code of Conduct.

You broke them and were banned.

Suck it up.

Don't call me a Dick please.

I must have missed where they came out and announced they were staff and apologies for that, and in this climate I would even hate to xbox support staff losing their jobs no matter how incompetent they are.

Wow go from wanting not to be called a dick and calling people incompetant, who are actually trying to help you.

Smooth.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Asry wrote: »
    Ha, God. Do you really think anyone will get anywhere with Microsoft?

No, probably not

One of the biggest companies in the world? Do you not think they're completely watertight covered with data protection acts and privacy policies?

Perhaps they are but they are required to release any information they have stored on you.
    I mean for God's sake. At the end of the day you agreed to T&Cs and the Terms of Use and Code of Conduct.

Terms and conditions don't mean a whole lot really, plus they haven't said that any have been broken or which one(s).
    You broke them and were banned.
    No I didn't.
    Suck it up.
    Indeed.

• Advertisement

Woop should have made it clearer.

The first part was to you, the rest of it was directed to the OP.

After "For God's sake".

Many apologies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement