Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lamb balti recipe?

Options
  • 03-09-2011 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got a good lamb balti recipe? I don't cook lamb often and I've never made a balti.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

your jumping in at the deep end there :) i suggest getting a good indian cookbook and learning some of the basic techniques first.
    making a good balti involves a lot of different processes and about 6 hours serious cooking.

your jumping in at the deep end there :) i suggest getting a good indian cookbook and learning some of the basic techniques first.
    making a good balti involves a lot of different processes and about 6 hours serious cooking.

I've cooked a few Indian bits before; korma, onion bhajis and aloo ghobi.
    Is there any other spicy curries you can recommend?
    I'm making a big family dinner soon, and would like to do a spicy and mild main course. Doing the korma as the mild dish then too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

ok gotcha. when we do a curry at home for a large number we normally do this one as its a one pot curry and kids and all can eat it and its lush. serves about 8 people

Tikka Masala

Chicken marinade

8 chicken breasts
    2tsp chilli powder

1tsp mace powder
    1tsp cardamom powder
    10gm ginger paste
    10gm garlic paste
    1tsp lemon juice
    Pinch of salt
    50ml yougurt

The gravy

150gm butter
    50gm garlic paste
    30gm ginger paste
    Pinch of salt
    1kg tomatoes, pureed or canned plum tomatoes
    200ml chicken stock
    Pinch of salt
    10gm ginger juliennes
    3tsp mace powder
    3tsp cardamom powder
    1tsp ground cumin
    2 green chillies
    1tsp chilli powder

3tbs fenugreek leaves
    3-4tsp honey
    200ml cream

Add all the chicken marinade ingredients to a bowl and stir until it all blends nicely.
    Cube the chicken and stir it into the marinade. Stir the chicken until its nicely coated and refrigerate for a few hours(if possible).

Melt the butter in a large pot and add the ginger and garlic paste and a pinch of salt. Saute the ginger and garlic for 5 mins stirring occasionally. Stir the tomatoes into the pot. Add the chicken stock and a pinch of salt, simmer the mix for 20mins with the lid on stirring occasionally. Blend the sauce with a hand blender until nice and smooth

Add the dry spices, chillies, ginger juliennes and fenugreek leaves. Simmer the mix for 15mins with the lid on stirring occasionally.

Pour the chicken mix onto a baking tray, spread out the pieces and cook in a preheated oven at 160 degrees for 15-20mins.

Add the honey 1tsp at a time to the sauce, stir in and taste to get your preferred balance of sweetness after each spoon. Add the cream and the chicken and stir in. Simmer the mix for 10mins with the lid on stirring occasionally

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi OP - From what I understand, balti dishes are a "whatever-you-have-in-the-cupboard" type dish that could be prepared quite easily.

While I don't have a specific recipe for balti that I could recommend, I am sure that with a quick Google you'll find some decent recipes that would be easy enough to follow that won't involve hours of cooking.

• Advertisement

Hi OP - From what I understand, balti dishes are a "whatever-you-have-in-the-cupboard" type dish that could be prepared quite easily.

While I don't have a specific recipe for balti that I could recommend, I am sure that with a quick Google you'll find some decent recipes that would be easy enough to follow that won't involve hours of cooking.

Thanks. I wondered about an actual balti "recipe" as most of the Google ones are different. There doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency in the ingredients so I wondered could I get a recipe on here. It seems to make sense that it is a mixture of whatever you have type thing!

Advertisement