Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I got a bottle of Jameson 18 year old reserve...

Options
  • 03-09-2011 8:19pm

For an absolute steal for 55 dollars in Boston duty free.

What I'm looking for though is some ideas on how to enjoy it!

Anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

You could start by drinking it?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭wal100

Sacramento wrote: »
    For an absolute steal for 55 dollars in Boston duty free.

What I'm looking for though is some ideas on how to enjoy it!

Anyone?
    With me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tiny drop of water in a nice round bottomed glass.
    Try some 70+% chocolate with it after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

I know this topic is getting old but I can call round after work tomorrow and share some whiskey appreciation tips with you. If however you have broached the bottle already then a small ice cube to a standard measure (37.5ml) or the equivalent of water is nice to soften flavours and allow your palette to appreciate the taste. Personally I will mostly go for the ice simply to cool the off the shelf temperature of the whiskey. Do not over do the ice as it will kill all the favours in the drink. The ice cube should melt within 5 minutes to provide a cool flavourful drink though!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

mikewest wrote: »
    I know this topic is getting old but I can call round after work tomorrow and share some whiskey appreciation tips with you. If however you have broached the bottle already then a small ice cube to a standard measure (37.5ml) or the equivalent of water is nice to soften flavours and allow your palette to appreciate the taste. Personally I will mostly go for the ice simply to cool the off the shelf temperature of the whiskey. Do not over do the ice as it will kill all the favours in the drink. The ice cube should melt within 5 minutes to provide a cool flavourful drink though!

I would not recommend an ice cube. The cooler temperature will inhibit the flavour. Same as chocolate from the fridge has less flavour or a white wine overchilled.
    A less complex and fine whiskey can benefit from an ice cube but not something like a Jameson 18YO. Just my opinion;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'd agree on leaving the ice out of it for the reasons outlined above.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Ice/no ice, water no/water. It's all a matter of personal choice. It all depends on the whiskey and the subjective view of the drinker. Moreover, the same person could prefer different whiskeys on different days.

As for ice, while it does dampen some of the smells and tastes, it can also release or highlight some of the other tastes.

I always found that some of the stronger pot still whiskeys , for example, Red Breast 12 y.o., that ice will bring out much more of the vanilla aromas and flavours.

The key is to experiment yourself and see what you like. IMO any "damage" caused by a cube of ice is probably more due to whiskey with ice being served in a tumbler glass instead of a snifter or wine glass.

In any event, we're talking about a small single cube of ice. More than that will make a cold, smooth, alcohol tasting drink.

Also, see Richard Paterson's youtube stuff. Note: He works for White & McKay so is somewhat partial, and is known for throwing whisky on the ground, slapping people and threatening to poke yer eyes out:

http://youtu.be/Zjrkd_RZFFY
    http://youtu.be/pFKvnLu3vf4

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Ice/no ice, water no/water. It's all a matter of personal choice. It all depends on the whiskey and the subjective view of the drinker. Moreover, the same person could prefer different whiskeys on different days.

Generally I do agree, however with regard to:
    mikewest wrote: »
    a small ice cube to a standard measure (37.5ml) or the equivalent of water is nice to soften flavours and allow your palette to appreciate the taste.

It's simply not the case, certainly not with an 18yo Jameseon imho.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Generally I do agree, however with regard to:

It's simply not the case, certainly not with an 18yo Jameseon imho.

Two caveats:

1) Poor man that I am, I have, but have never opened, a bottle of Jameson 18 y.o.;

2) Generally, IDL whiskeys need no water.

But at the same time it is very important that, when tasting a new whisk(e)y to make sure that you try it in a number of different ways. So try it neat, try it with warm water, try it with cold water, try it with ice.

It is important to remeber that the process of ageing a whiskey happened purely by chance i.e. someone tasted the old barrels in the back and found that they were better than the newer bottles. So the best way of knowing whether a whiskey is better or worse with ice is to put some ice in it and find out.

Again, even purists like Richard Patterson above accept that sometimes a little ice produces a surprising result from whisk(e)y.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

You fecker, I thought €100 in Cork Airport was a good deal last year!!

I think the only way to enjoy that is neat with a good quality Cuban cigar with or without the company of friends who enjoy a good whiskey!

Once you're not mixing a whiskey like that with a coke or whatever I'd say you're on the right track. Just don't do what my dad does and keep the bottle unopened for prosperity, the eejit could be dead in the morning!! Enjoy it whenever you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

Try it lots of different ways, if you have enough of it, and see which way you prefer it.

Advertisement