Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

baby pain response

Options
  • 03-09-2011 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

My 3 month old has headbutted by wife and hit her tooth, he had no pain response, he has also slammed his foot a few times off the wooden edge of the changing area. There are a good few examples like this, but he has had no response.

My question is would this be normal ? I would have expected some reaction such as tears.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

Babies and even toddlers can 'hurt' themselves in front of you and you wince for them and wait for the tears and nothing! They can be amazingly tough! It used to be thought that babies couldn't feel any pain. And they used to perform surgery etc without anaesthetic on them :eek: now we know thats not true, they do feel pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

I think that at that age they cry more from the fright of something than the pain of something. Like if they feel like they're falling they might cry, but just a bang wouldn't do it. I wouldn't worry at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

[QUOTE=Pugins;7419613 It used to be thought that babies couldn't feel any pain. And they used to perform surgery etc without anaesthetic on them :eek: now we know thats not true, they do feel pain.[/QUOTE]

Oh my goodness!!!! How awful :eek::eek:

OP, I was actually wondering the same about my daughter. Just put it down to her being hardy as shes a big girl :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭Chesty LaRue

Ouch!
    My son who is 16mths is nearly walking and a fantastic climber :-) he is forever falling over and banging his head. Just when you think he has gotten a whopper he gets up and is off again. They are hardy wee folk! Yep, I think the fright sometimes is worse....

Advertisement