Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving cert subject (s) in a year?

• 03-09-2011 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

i'm repeating and i only have 5 higher subjects so i want to take one up. what subject would this be a possibility for? i'm already doing English, biology, chemistry, economics and business :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

A language?

If you were learning one for the JC, you already have a headstart.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 galwayash

Home ec might be a good one?

I don't know the course but I've heard there's quite a cross-over with biology.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 digmycrazydance

i did do german last year but i was ordinary and found it really difficult! i'm not sure about home ec i'm allergic to eggs so i can't do most of the cooking :S

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭JohnSmith17

religion...

• Registered Users Posts: 43 galwayash

a lot of people take up ag science but again i know nothing about it.

Geography is another option.

• Advertisement

Geography maybe? Points are supposed to be handy.

Do any subject you're even slightly interested in. If you enjoy it, you'll understand it better.

ya i was thinking about ag science and geog but don't u have to have projects done for both?? like already? ohh religion that sounds like an idea too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Jimmy Magee

AnamGlas wrote: »
    Geography maybe? Points are supposed to be handy.

Nothing's handy. Geography is a big course. 3 books...

Classical Studies is supposed to be doable within a year, if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

any advice on agg science?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

C__MC wrote: »
    any advice on agg science?

links abit with biology, predictable, and a project, taking it up myself:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

religion...

Don't! Not doable in a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 id.tweet.that

Home ec Even without it for JC, its impossibly easy! Especially if you do biology!!

does anyone know is it poss to do accounting? i like business and economics and i've always been good at the maths side when we did it in jc

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

I did Agricultural Science in one year. It has a nice overlap with Biology and Geography, both of which I did already. There is a project, worth 25%, which your teacher marks (this can be checked in an oral interview with a superintendent around... April I think). If you like the Sciences, it isn't a bad subject.. but the syllabus isn't clearly defined as others. I found it interesting, especially the animal side of it. I know people find soils and I personally hated crops, but it wasn't too bad.

People often take up Economics in a year, my brother was constantly telling me to do it. I've heard the exam is quite tight for time, but I know very little about it. I do know that people that took it up managed to do it in a year and comfortably enough. There's no project for it.

Geography is do-able in a year, but it's a bit of a behemoth of a subject. I'd think of Biology in terms of its volume. I think moreso than Agricultural Science that if you haven't done it before it will just eat up so much time. A well-done project can net you up to 20% of your total grade, but I've had useless teachers both times around and really worked on the projects quite hard to get As. I think an awful lot of people underestimate it. Also Geography at LC is completely different to JC... there's a lot more regional and human geography than the physical. I've always liked Geography though, I think it's a lovely, interesting subject that always lets you read up more on it if you're interested (and you can get marks for any relevant info you remember).

I'd just emphasise that there's no "magic" subject to do in one year. Talk to friends, get your hands on books to flick through and pick subjects you'll like because it's not easy to do a subject in a year and you'll work hard at it to do well! Good luck picking one, I hope it works out for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭JohnSmith17

yes, accounting is a subject.

Advertisement