Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman Event

Options
  • 03-09-2011 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭

Anybody here signed up for the Ironman Event??

My husband and son are involved tomorrow with safety during the swim.

Best wishes to any of ye who are to be competing. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Jaysus I couldn't put myself through even one part of Ironman!

I hope it goes really well though, it's a massive event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Broke my ankle during the week so thankfully I'm not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Anybody here signed up for the Ironman Event??

My husband and son are involved tomorrow with safety during the swim.

Best wishes to any of ye who are to be competing. :)

Our neighbours in number 12 are taking part! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,905 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

My friends relation from the US has come over to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

mars bar wrote: »
    My friends relation from the US has come over to do it.

That's a long way to come for a competition..... I have to admit I haven't done much reading on it so don't know an awful lot about it as an event.
    I must get googling:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

Went out for the start. Swim reduced to just! 750m and even then some of the second groups of swimmers were struggling. Went down to watch the transition to bikes and after a while the rescue helicopter showed up to keep an eye on things. With the winds and weather I say some will struggle to finish in the time allocated. Looking at the conditions it was mad that anybody who wanted too could enter.

Start was put back 15 minutes as well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

All that hype!
    And they've reduced the swim time..

I feel bad for the volunteers this morning, standing around at road junctions through east conamara and the town in the pouring rain. There'll be a run on cold medicine this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭kao123

Was watching them come through Barna this morning from 8 onwards, at around 9:30 we heard that the lead cyclist was coming through Moycullen..... Fantastic stuff !

Leader came back through end of St Marys road at around 2 hours 25 minutes would have thought the transition to the run at around 2 and a half hours.

No updates on the Ironman website either

Would have thought winning time will be around 3 hours 35 minutes.

As they started at 7 15 this means should be near finish now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Did not make it out to Salthill this morning was there many people looking on at the swim etc, there does not seem to be many around for the event. In Salthill yesterday it was quite enough.

• Advertisement

I was out there at around 6 30 and for the start. Most of the people out there were competitors and their supporters, few locals around as well but not many considering the crowds they were predicting. The food wagon had six people working, and nobody buying anything although it was always unlikely someone was going to order a breakfast roll before starting the triathlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Wandered down for a look and got washed out of it. So like most locals I beat a retreat to my house. The five minute walk in the rain was my Ironman moment for the day.

It's a pity the weather is so crappy for it:(
    Really diminishes the amount of people who may have ambled out for a nosey had the weather been fine!

See from the facebook page they still are not releasing results "due to copyright". People trying to track competitors unable to do so. Considering the expense involved in this and the fact that it is supposed to show Galway in a positive light for tourism purposes I do not think this is very good.

With all of the bike thefts that go on suppose the organisers did a good job in stopping any bikes getting nicked from the compound, reckon at least 5 million of bikes and equipment there.

Mike Airgoz has won the event as reported by the Galway Advertiser FB page...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 janina

Not a mention of the event on RTE sports news.... shameful!! Maybe they will notice it by this evening. :rolleyes:

Probably relying on the Ironman website to do their updates, despite the size of the event does not look like they have sent anyone to cover it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Locals not enthusiastic enough!
    The amount of hype for this event, (3 million people are watching it in Australia apparently) was unreal in the local media, it has turned into a completely moist squib.

Saw the advertiser following the line that millions will be spent in the city during Ironman. From the business people I know and from being in Salthill today I would say that the shops were quieter than normal as a lot of them were on roads that had been closed down. As most of the competitors would have been early to bed on Saturday I doubt if many euro would have been spent apart from on hotel rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

If the sun was shining this morning, it would have been a completely different event.

Pity.

• Advertisement

Have too disagree. I thought the layout gave no thought to how people were supposed to spectate at the event. It was very hard to move down and see transition and this was even with very few people around.My friend got told off crossing the course even though there was no other way back into his appartments.Saw the Mayors car parked on the closed road behind the start and even she was stuck behind spectators trying to get a view.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

This event has never attracted all the people the event organisers were saying, on last Tuesdays Sentinel they were saying 60 thousand people would watch it, they are lucky if 600 people turned out, I searched Channel 4 and Setanta sports and it will not even bring the event up in a search, so who is broadcasting this around the World, its turned out to be a non event, all it has done was cause total traffic disruption. I was in a taxi last night to Salthill and the driver told me that it was just like a normal night out there and in town. Did anyone see any TV cameras following this./

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

On a slightly unrelated note I have to say well done to whoever organised the music for the setup across the road from Leisureland. I went for a walk there yesterday evening with the dog and was pleasantly surprised to be greeted with Jane's Addiction, Foo Fighters and Metallica blasting out of the speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

5BF8FAE273404038B392E39CBAF4D448-0000346192-0002524349-00500L-4FCBE7FC2BB14C228A0BC28AA7088839.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

5E2887F3F7504512A92C224E08BC8CB6-0000346192-0002524348-00500L-B380E987717F4483B7824BA3A166D224.jpg

E15D2E5A570746C1B2FC0C764AFA5A84-0000346192-0002524347-00500L-57386B0FAF304F5BBF50B186E53242D8.jpg

D75BCEF01C5E4998B61CB31B0F0AE5CF-0000346192-0002524346-00500L-5FA8CD3F73B64FE8851577F558024883.jpg

7249E9E8B98D48AA9707CA50B093802C-0000346192-0002524345-00500L-342FA483CDED45BAB86EE339571609B5.jpg

F171372EA5DB4115ADB6A7D688C79DD4-0000346192-0002524344-00500L-D574DE3BB7F8451CB3974B3C91731325.jpg

3BC67771C2B24B17AE7C8E9BE4D3D4FE-0000346192-0002524342-00500L-412B46CCD8BB46CD9A45C99F6FFE3ECE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Have too disagree. I thought the layout gave no thought to how people were supposed to spectate at the event. It was very hard to move down and see transition and this was even with very few people around.My friend got told off crossing the course even though there was no other way back into his appartments.Saw the Mayors car parked on the closed road behind the start and even she was stuck behind spectators trying to get a view.

Spectators although important are not the primary consideration, the flow and space needed to rack 2000 bikes is very important as each competitor has to have an equal distance through transition to level out the competition. Minimising traffic and resident disruption also have to be taken into consideration, so all in all it's going to be difficult to get a location or setup anywhere that is perfect.
    Chicken1 wrote: »
    This event has never attracted all the people the event organisers were saying, on last Tuesdays Sentinel they were saying 60 thousand people would watch it, they are lucky if 600 people turned out, I searched Channel 4 and Setanta sports and it will not even bring the event up in a search, so who is broadcasting this around the World, its turned out to be a non event, all it has done was cause total traffic disruption. I was in a taxi last night to Salthill and the driver told me that it was just like a normal night out there and in town. Did anyone see any TV cameras following this./

These type of events are never broadcast live due to the nature of them, there will be a lot of editing involved and it'll be a few weeks before it's broadcast. It will also be broadcast by Eurosport and ESPN

I'm confused, did you expect all the competitors to be out on the piss in Salthill last night? It was an early start for all the competitors, volunteers and supporters this morning. I have been in and around Galway the last 3 days and didn't have any problems getting around at all, I was able to park in Salthill this morning, drive out of there to watch the bike sections in 3 different places and get back into Salthill for the run section.

I understand that the competitors are the prime concern in an event such as this, however so much was made in the run up to this event about how much income was going to be generated for Galway by hosting this event and it just was not the case. All of the areas that people would have been used to walking on a nice day were closed up to allow the race to take place and no consideration was taken as too allow the public alongside to watch and support the athletes.

The swimming was an obvious thing to put up some sort of raised viewing areas to allow people to get a view. The photos above are when the green hatted people went into the water and most of the people in the background were competitors and their supporters waiting for their turn to start.
    l

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

I'm confused, did you expect all the competitors to be out on the piss in Salthill last night? It was an early start for all the competitors, volunteers and supporters this morning. I have been in and around Galway the last 3 days and didn't have any problems getting around at all, I was able to park in Salthill this morning, drive out of there to watch the bike sections in 3 different places and get back into Salthill for the run section.

Well your last comment says it all, no one around, I am only going by what the press said about this event, that it would bring to Galway and Salthill loads of visitors and a figure of 6 million was mentioned in spending. I was in Salthill today in the park and the guys who had the stalls selling stuff must have lost a packet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Well your last comment says it all, no one around, I am only going by what the press said about this event, that it would bring to Galway and Salthill loads of visitors and a figure of 6 million was mentioned in spendin
    Standard event management hype, they hire a few local PR bunnies to work the local media and as usual the media copy and pastes the PR hype.

Don't ever assume that a brain got in between the Press Release and the printed page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Well your last comment says it all, no one around, I am only going by what the press said about this event, that it would bring to Galway and Salthill loads of visitors and a figure of 6 million was mentioned in spending. I was in Salthill today in the park and the guys who had the stalls selling stuff must have lost a packet.
    Regarding the expo stalls, they were open all weekend not just today and they were very crowded when I was there yesterday. They are geared more so at the competitors who were obviously racing today. Unless you know for certain they lost money stop spouting crap.

It's you that seems to have the completely wrong expectations of the event, but hey don't let reality get in the way of your imagination.

Advertisement