Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who do you think is the best lyricist of this generation?

Options
  • 03-09-2011 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

We all know that people such as Robert Plant, John Lennon and Freddie Mercury are considered some of the best lyricists. But who do you think, from this generation, are good?

Personally I think Pete Wentz (laugh if you may) is actually very good. At first I was kind of like 'what is he even on about?' but looking at song meaning sites I figured out what it meant, and actually some of them were very clever. :o
    Sticking with the slightly mortifying theme, Ryan Ross. I hate the guy, but the words flow so nicely. Just listen to A Fever You Can't Sweat out, properly.
    Yeah, I listen to a lot of pop-punk. :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Who is the best lyricist? Well that is easy, Jimmy MacCarthy.

He has written a massive body of modern Irish hits over the past 30 years. Any time you go to a pub down the country its impossible to get away from tunes like Christy Moore's Ride On, Missing You, Mary Black's No Frontiers and so fort.

If you want my favourite non-trad lyricist I would say Chris Martin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 iGenius

Jimmy MacCarthy is a great writer, not sure about him being the best lyricist going. Also don't think he'd classed as this generation....?

I've never heard of the guys the OP mentioned. At 25, I think I'm out of touch with the kids.

Colin Meloy is pretty impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I hate Fall Out Boy so I can't agree with Pete Wentz.

Though I'm no fan, my friend has played a lot John Mayer when I've been around and he has a good style, tbf. He could be up there.

For me, it'd be Win Butler from Arcade Fire. It may not be cool to be a middle-class suburbian but he catches the feelings of it pretty well and he can get across through his pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Of THIS generation? Alex Turner.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Elliott Smith
    John Darnielle
    Stephin Merritt
    E
    Daniel Johnston
    Nick Drake

Hell even Jeff Tweedy is better than anyone mentioned here, (cept maybe Meloy).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Would have been Pete Doherty had he not imploded into a mess a few years ago so I'll go for Sergio Pizzorno

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Albert Witchfinder

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Don't know about best but Joanna Newsom is my favourtie of recent times.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Best lyricist? Has to be John Darnielle. Not a dud lyric in the last 16 years.

I would seldom use the word but ... GENIUS

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

Is Nick Cave included in this generation? If so, he'd be well up there for me.

I love a lot of Paul Noonan's (of BellX1 fame) lyrics, very Irish but very apt. BellX1 always reminded me of the poet TS Eliot and in o Pne of their songs from the new album they quote my favourite poem of his so I was delighted!

Again, maybe pushing it for this generation but I would put up Morrissey/the smiths up there :) Perhaps it's the introvert in me but I can empathise a lot with the lyrics...I find them very clever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Rocket_Man

karaokeman wrote: »
    Who is the best lyricist? Well that is easy, Jimmy MacCarthy.

He has written a massive body of modern Irish hits over the past 30 years. Any time you go to a pub down the country its impossible to get away from tunes like Christy Moore's Ride On, Missing You, Mary Black's No Frontiers and so fort.

If you want my favourite non-trad lyricist I would say Chris Martin.

Yeah there has to be something to be said for any lyricist who could get the following into a song.
    "and I am the geek with the alchemists stone"

Just magnificent!!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Alex Turner immediately springs to mind for me, especially some of their earlier stuff. His songs are great by themselves, but they drip with double meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

John Darnelle.

That man is the king.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

pete wentz, lol.

Have to say Elliott Smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Rocket_Man wrote: »
    Yeah there has to be something to be said for any lyricist who could get the following into a song.
    "and I am the geek with the alchemists stone"

Just magnificent!!

The "alchemists stone" is a precious metal, which is very rare and worth a fortune.

The reason Jimmy refers to a "geek" in this same verse is because a geek would define the lowest form of life, so this person of low social standing is the one person holding something of great value.

And as the song continues;

"For having left the path of other's,
    You'll find a very special hand"

When you leave your loved ones and become "the geek" you will find luck in ways you never imagined. This luck you will find is a gift from God and for this reason whatever happens to you, you will be given a "very special hand".

Sometimes the more complex lyrics like the one you just pointed out are the best of all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Some of what Robert Plant wrote with Led Zep was just pure drivel - Stairway to Heaven is a case in point - so I wouldn't really put him up there with the likes of Dylan or Paul Simon.

Current good lyricists? Off the top of my head?
    Bright Eyes
    Ben Folds
    E
    Stuart Murdoch
    Ben Gibbard
    Brendan Benson
    John Darnielle
    Bon Iver (something about the oblique nature of his lyrics creates a powerful emotional impact)

Chris Martin is ****ing terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 larss

MORRISSEY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Craig Finn,
    Will Sheff
    John Darnielle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

lordgoat wrote: »
    Elliott Smith
    John Darnielle
    Stephin Merritt
    E
    Daniel Johnston
    Nick Drake

Hell even Jeff Tweedy is better than anyone mentioned here, (cept maybe Meloy).

Not quite this generation no? He died nearly 40 years ago.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

flyswatter wrote: »
    Not quite this generation no? He died nearly 40 years ago.

Christ it is that long ago. When you've been listening to someone for 15 years or so, you just think everyone knows him. Go listen to Nick Drake kids. And John Darnielle.

Bon Iver - Justin Vernon, what i really like about him is he splices word together in such a way that he's the only one who really knows what he's talking about. Regardless he still manages to get across great feeling in his songs. Most of the new album wouldn't really work lyrically on it's own but in combination with the music i think it's amazing in places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

John Darnielle and Stephin Merritt are definitely up there.

For bands with genuine mass appeal might go with Thom Yorke or Alex Turner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I'd have to agree with Alex Turner being a great lyricist, especially the early stuff. Pete Doherty could have been great, but he's been the architect of his own downfall. In a similar vein to that, Amy Winehouse has great song-writing potential. Her Back To Black album is certainly an excellently crafted album and has some brilliant lyrics. She had a pretty good knack for story-telling.

Hip hop has it's fair share of great lyricists. Lupe Fiasco, Nas and Immortal Technique were the first to spring to mind. All very intelligent writers with something to say.

Amy Winehouse has great song-writing potential.

I don't know how to break this to you…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

Morrissey, Alex Turner, Ian Brown (never mind his lack of singing ability)

and i actually think billie joe out of green day has a great way with words, even though i wouldnt be a huge fan of his music, especially with his older stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I don't know how to break this to you…

:D Obviously a typo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I'd agree with Alex Turner for his clever turns if phrase, and Paul Noonan for that uniquely Irish angle.

But I think the lyricist who time after time comes out with some astoundingly poetic and heart-rending lines is without a doubt Guy Garvey from Elbow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Fiona Apple is one of my favourite lyricists of recent years. Granted, most of her songs have a similar theme (love and why it sucks) but some of her songwriting is really impressive, especially considering how young she was when Tidal was released. Nearly all of her stuff packs an emotional punch, and there's a hell of a lot more to it than just "waah men are pigs".
    Love Ridden is one of the saddest and most beautiful breakup songs I've ever heard; it's the kind of song that would make me cry if I wasn't made of stone. :pac: Paper Bag and O Sailor are also wonderfully written songs.

As mentioned before, Nick Cave is remarkable. He's almost more like a poet, whose poems just happen to be accompanied by music, than a songwriter. He's probably a bit too old to be considered this generation though.

And while I might be in a state of post-Electric Picnic bias, I think Win Butler and Régine Chassagne make a formidable songwriting pair. Haiti is not only my favourite Arcade Fire song but it is lyrically one of my favourite songs of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I have to go with Stuart Murdoch of Belle and Sebastian. His lyrics tell stories, paint pictures in your mind, deal with complex emotions such as sadness, joy and bitterness and create a whole world for you to escape into. His lyrics contain a lot of detail and expression and he has a really strong poetic approach to his writing.

From 'The Rollercoaster Ride':

Take Judy, with her bow and arrow, she's a mastermind
    Too frumpy for the teenage population of her time
    Car coat, she has a quilted jacket with a hood if it rains
    Big pockets for the pharmaceuticals she takes to fix her brain

• Registered Users Posts: 29 boggerbarbie

I'm thinking Eminem..

• Advertisement

Malari wrote: »
    Paul Noonan for that uniquely Irish angle

He is responsible for some of the worst lines I have ever heard. ****ing awful...

Advertisement