Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

potassium dichromate

Options
  • 03-09-2011 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

does any one know where I can get potassium dichromate in Dublin?
    I want make some light sensitive paper and make some photograms but cant seem to find anyone in Dublin that would sell it.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Is it any good for a hangover?? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

It's difficult enough to get tbh, what with the cancer and the birth defects etc. I was doing gum bi last year, and the only handy source i had for chems was the (massively overpriced) fotospeed kit. You can get the raw chems from roches (not the dept store :D on the phone at the moment so not easy to check, but they're on google), but they were very reticent about selling it to me. I could get it from them no problem through college though so if you knew someone ina school maybe? I was talking to someone last week who bought potassium cyanide from them without issue, so you can always try.. silverprint stock it raw, but won't import it outside mainland uk.

Be careful with it though, it *is* nasty stuff..

Also, there are *much* easier ways to make photograms.. have you looked at using cyanotype chems, or just normal photographic paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Potasium Dichromate is very dangerous - especially for the environment and they wont sell it unless, you can dispose of it properly (Normally which consists of having to call chemical disposal companies)

And you can't get Potassium Dichromate through a school, Potassium & Sodium Dichromate was on a list of chemicals that were not to be used (Despite there being experiments with them) in the Leaving Cert for safety reasons.

However - if you are hellbent on getting it you can try ringing Shaws in D12. http://www.goldenpages.ie/shaw-scientific-ltd-dublin-city-D12/

I meant a college, and you *can* get it that way - I did. Fotospeed kit stated that the waste was so diluted (we're talking 5% here) that it was safe to dispose of it down the sink. I used the college collection services though.

@ op, you could try the fotospeed kit from barker photographic in cork. You do have to be EXTREMELY careful with it. If you don't have experience and facilities for handling it, I'd really recommend something a bit less toxic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jazoon

Thanks guys!
    I did cyanotypes and they worked out really great (did photograms and actual prints with it) so thats why I thought of doing some printing in non blue colours :)
    I might just try the fotospeeds gum kit first

Advertisement