Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy keyboards and mice

Options
  • 03-09-2011 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

I have checked komplett and pixmania and their selection is shocking. I need somewhere that takes paypal too. I ordered my build of hardwareversand but all the keyboards are quertz not querty.

Advice on a decent keyboard would be nice, plan to be gaming quite a bit so something good for long gaming sessions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

scan.co.uk

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Sidewinder X4 is a decent entry level gaming keyboard (I am not sure spending all that much more on a keyboard is worth TBH), you usually can't go too far wrong with any gaming keyboard by Razer or Logitech either.

Amazon are pretty good for picking up a random PC bits like this as the free delivery on stuff over 25 quid can make them cheapest.

Edit: The Logitech G110 is very nice if you feel like splashing out a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

I pay maximum €10 for mice and keyboards. That's plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I have a Razer Imperator mouse and think it's the bees knees. Waiting on Amazon to send me out a Steelseries 7G keyboard, they have been back-ordered for about a month :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I got mine from harvey norman. That's because i didn't need anything fancy. After getting used to laptop keyboards, any keyboard will do!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Backlighting is a nice feature to have, aside from that I would have to agree that a keyboard is a keyboard. Have to disagree with better about 10 euro on a mouse though, a good gaming mouse is an indispesable tool for a gamer IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

marco_polo wrote: »
    Backlighting is a nice feature to have, aside from that I would have to agree that a keyboard is a keyboard. Have to disagree with better about 10 euro on a mouse though, a good gaming mouse is an indispesable tool for a gamer IMO.

Backlighting is totally unneeded if you know where the keys are. And it is usually done horribly and looks like ricer crap. A keyboard with a high n-rollover is much better than a 10 euro one, especially when it comes to gaming.

Anyone got a razer arctosa? Seems nice enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Sidewinder X4 is a decent entry level gaming keyboard (I am not sure spending all that much more on a keyboard is worth TBH)

Have you used a mechanical keyboard extensively?

I like the Rzaer mice I must say, expensive but very well made and last a long time. I find them very slippy if used on a gaming surface though, it's like Bambi on ice! Couldn't get used to it, in the end I stuck some insulating black tape over the teflon pads on the bottom of the mouse to give it some resistance, works a lot better now and very comfortable to use on longer sessions.

Teutorix wrote: »
    Backlighting is totally unneeded if you know where the keys are. And it is usually done horribly and looks like ricer crap. A keyboard with a high n-rollover is much better than a 10 euro one, especially when it comes to gaming.

I didn't really intend to suggest that there is no point in spending more on a keyboard, but for the average gamer (a category in which I am firmly a member of the lower echelons :p), I think the law of diminishing returns kicks in all the same. Even a bog standard keyboard will usually have few enough blocking sets around the WASD region to be a viable option for most people, outside of that I think only only the skillful few would encounter (or notice) real problems.

Just playing around for a minute with my cheap HP work keyboard here and while I can find a few blocking sequences such as WSA, WSD which would not be common gaming combos, the majority of 3 key combos in that section (and throw in the space bar too) work just fine together. Since the ctrl, alt, shift keys are always designed for simultaneous pressing, a casual FPS player is rarely if going to hit problems.

As for backlighting, I like it precisely because I am completely incapable of ninja press a random key on the other side of the keyboard from the starting gamer position without a quick glance :).

Baza210 wrote: »
    Have you used a mechanical keyboard extensively?

Not a huge amount to be fair, I have come across a few in work from time to time, I like them but have never felt compelled to buy one for myself (Primarly due to the shortcomings outlined above).

• Advertisement

Mechanical keyboards feel nicer to type on and are much more durable. Their attractiveness extends beyond NKRO.

Baza210 wrote: »
    Mechanical keyboards feel nicer to type on and are much more durable. Their attractiveness extends beyond NKRO.

Jeez tough crowd here today :). The above is absolutely true and I never suggested otherwise, again all I said was that a good mouse is a gaming essential, and a good keyboard firmly in the nice to have category.

If I thought all keyboards were the exact same I would have just suggested this to the OP :p

http://www.dabs.com/products/best-value-usb-black-economy-keyboard-5KD9.html

Can you blame me, with the following view seemingly prevalent in this thread? ;)
    bette wrote: »
    I pay maximum €10 for mice and keyboards. That's plenty.

Baza, what mechanical keyboard do you have/would you recommend?

Arciphel wrote: »

Das Keyboard are what errybody is talking about these days.

Arciphel wrote: »

I have a Noppoo Choc Mini with Cherry MX Red switches. It cost about €85.

Recommendations vary with use and price. The two main features of my keyboard are that it is small ("tenkeyless") because it has no numberpad, and it has nice soft linear switches which are good for FPS gaming.

I started a thread on this subject earlier http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056320478

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

I have razer black widow ultimate, great keyboard, worth the price tag

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Sidewinder X4 is a decent entry level gaming keyboard (I am not sure spending all that much more on a keyboard is worth TBH), you usually can't go too far wrong with any gaming keyboard by Razer or Logitech either.

Amazon are pretty good for picking up a random PC bits like this as the free delivery on stuff over 25 quid can make them cheapest.

Edit: The Logitech G110 is very nice if you feel like splashing out a bit more.

+1 for the Sidewinder X4 it's a great keyboard.

I finally got the Steelseries 7G today, Amazon still have it back-ordered but ended up getting it from komplett.ie for a decent price. I am moving from a Microsoft Sidewinder X6 so might stick that up on adverts if anyone is interested. The mechanical action on this keyboard is unreal, love the way you don't even have to depress the key all the way down for it to register, so means you can type much faster without risking making mistakes. Only thing I would change is to make the backspace key bigger, but I suppose you don't use that much in games anyway...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

while mice make a difference, keyboards generally dont. it depends on the type of game you want to play...you wont be needing a good n-rollover keyboard for anything but strategy games really, maybe wow, dunno, not played it.

• Advertisement

while mice make a difference, keyboards generally dont. it depends on the type of game you want to play...you wont be needing a good n-rollover keyboard for anything but strategy games really, maybe wow, dunno, not played it.

I do play alot of strategy games, played the WoW free trial and got bored with it in about 2 days. :rolleyes:

Imma learn you. Ever type on a cloud of breasts?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

yes but she made me stop. I have a zboard merc, so I can tell the ladies I have a merc you see. I take it these mechanical keyboards you are going on about are the business?

yes but she made me stop. I have a zboard merc, so I can tell the ladies I have a merc you see. I take it these mechanical keyboards you are going on about are the business?

So everybody says. They are very good for touch typing apparently. (lol touch typing on breasts) :rolleyes:

Advertisement