Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road barrier threatens future of 22 jobs in LK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Management at the store say the move will cut its business by 50% and they will be left with no option but to close its doors.
    So you're coming from Derry/Lifford/Sligo, there's an Esso directly in front of you on the left but instead you slam on the brakes after coming off the roundabout, stop in the middle of the road to cut across 2 lanes of traffic and use a petrol station. To exit that station and proceed on your journey you then need to repeat the manouvre or go left back around the roundabout, finally passing the Esso you could have entered in the first place.

And these brave souls constitute 50% of their business? No wonder they're in trouble.

Any chance they just want some compensation?

And don't call me surly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

GetWithIt wrote: »
    So you're coming from Derry/Lifford/Sligo, there's an Esso directly in front of you on the left but instead you slam on the brakes after coming off the roundabout, stop in the middle of the road to cut across 2 lanes of traffic and use a petrol station. To exit that station and proceed on your journey you then need to repeat the manouvre or go left back around the roundabout, finally passing the Esso you could have entered in the first place.

And these brave souls constitute 50% of their business? No wonder they're in trouble.

And don't call me surly.

lol brilliant and accurate. Well done.

Some of the comments on the linked webpage are obviously written by the "please think of the children" brigade and those who see no problem in driving across 2 lanes of 100kph traffic to get petrol priced exactly the same as everywhere else nearby.

50% is having a laugh. 5-10% would be more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Nonsense that this could cost them 50% of their business. However, also nonsense that this barrier is actually needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

smacks of ****e to get more attention to something which, regardless if really required,
    does not affect the business (miniscule)

+1 previous 3 comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

This to me looks like the dry arch station is ripping because the clanree station will now get some of the business they were getting but its nowhere near the 50% quoted in that "article" above...
    Nonsense that this could cost them 50% of their business. However, also nonsense that this barrier is actually needed.

Disagree with that the barrier really is needed, the amount of people I have seen make silly silly manouvers to cross that road is crazy. Just yesterday i seen someone come out of kee's place and cross onto the cross-hatchings and sat there have on half off the fast lane causing a lorry to nearly side swipe a van (me) in the slow lane. All that to save what 45 seconds to go to the roundabout and do it the legal way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭henke

I think the 50% figure quoted is rubbish really to be honest. It will have a minimal affect on business I believe.

Also, I think the barrier probably is needed, in an ideal world where he didn't have stupid and senseless drivers we wouldn't need a barrier and the money could go towards improving the state of some of our roads, unfortunately though we do have these kind of drivers so safety has to come before a few less potholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jamesy2011

first of all, putting up a barrier where there has never been a serious accident is stupid, a concrete barrier will cause a serious accident, concrete will not absorb the energy caused in accident, a car will basically be crashing into a wall… 2nd of all the business man is not against a barrier going up what he is asking for is a slip way put in through the barrier to allow traffic to enter in which case pedestrians will of course be able to cross everywhere else…3rd of all lorries who cross over will now instead have to go go past the polestar roundabout and while turning down the lorry will take up the 2 lanes of traffic, the angle either causing either jams or another car will try and pass and get crushed against the wall…4th the speed limit is coming down on that road anyway!!!!! Its hard enough to stay affloat without having to fight to stay in business with your own council fighting to put you out of business. People giving this holyier than thou attitude about safety coming first, get of your soap box because nobody thinks that business is more important than safety, they are just asking for common sense to be used which doesn’t in anyway effect the safety of pedestrians or motorists so before you climb back up on the soap box engage your brain!!!

And don't call me surly.

not at all accurate as another user put it. The people that come out of that esso station then CROSS ALL FOUR LANES then to go back to the Dry Arch roundabout, i see it several times a day! Alot of these people coming from Lifford/Derry head onto Ballybofey/Sligo so it is much safer to cross two lanes to go to the Dry Arch service station than it is FOUR LANES gettin back out to the roundabout! and that does happen everyday!!! think for feck sake!

also most people here obviously dont live in the area and rely on that shop as there local!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Hang on here Jamesy2011. You're new here so I will cut you some slack but if you intend posting again just tone the lingo down a bit and drop the personal abuse from your posts.

Comments such as "engage your brain" and "think for feck sake" arent acceptable or welcome on this forum. Please read the forum charter before you post again.

Jamesy2011 wrote: »
    first of all, putting up a barrier where there has never been a serious accident is stupid, a concrete barrier will cause a serious accident, concrete will not absorb the energy caused in accident, a car will basically be crashing into a wall… 2nd of all the business man is not against a barrier going up what he is asking for is a slip way put in through the barrier to allow traffic to enter in which case pedestrians will of course be able to cross everywhere else…3rd of all lorries who cross over will now instead have to go go past the polestar roundabout and while turning down the lorry will take up the 2 lanes of traffic, the angle either causing either jams or another car will try and pass and get crushed against the wall…4th the speed limit is coming down on that road anyway!!!!! Its hard enough to stay affloat without having to fight to stay in business with your own council fighting to put you out of business. People giving this holyier than thou attitude about safety coming first, get of your soap box because nobody thinks that business is more important than safety, they are just asking for common sense to be used which doesn’t in anyway effect the safety of pedestrians or motorists so before you climb back up on the soap box engage your brain!!!
    Andi says:
    September 3, 2011 at 6:02 pm
    first of all, putting up a barrier where there has never been a serious accident is stupid, a concrete barrier will cause a serious accident, concrete will not absorb the energy caused in accident, a car will basically be crashing into a wall… 2nd of all the business man is not against a barrier going up what he is asking for is a slip way put in through the barrier to allow traffic to enter in which case pedestrians will of course be able to cross everywhere else…3rd of all lorries who cross over will now instead have to go go past the polestar roundabout and while turning down the lorry will take up the 2 lanes of traffic, the angle either causing either jams or another car will try and pass and get crushed against the wall…4th of all you people saying this cronyism…USE YOUR BRAIN, what about the 22 people with mortgages, children that this effecting…5th the speed limit is coming down on that road anyway!!!!! Its hard enough to stay affloat without having to fight to stay in business with your own council fighting to put you out of business. People giving this holyier than thou attitude about safety coming first, get of your soap box because nobody thinks that business is more important than safety, they are just asking for common sense to be used which doesn’t in anyway effect the safety of pedestrians or motorists so before you climb back up on the soap box engage your brain!!!
    Hmmm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Where did you find the 2nd comment?

muffler wrote: »
    Where did you find the 2nd comment?
    A comment from the original link.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I think a barrier is so badly needed along that road but not to prevent people coming from derry/ballybofey direction crossing to the dry arch station but to stop the mindless idiots coming out of the first exit of Clanree on a blind corner and crossing over to the other side to head towards derry. I travel into letterkenny from ballybofey direction every morning/day and the amount of times i've been met with some mindless idiot exiting the hotel is frightening.

I can however see how businesses and individuals will be upset at it and especially those living up the cullion road who will now have to go out as far as the dry arch roundabout and come all the way back in.

I can also see Shapla restaurant suffering badly as the majority of their business comes from the town direction and having to travel out as far as the dry arch now may put punters off and send them elsewhere.

However given all the arguments i am in agreement with a barrier being erected down the centre, there are far too many people taking stupid risks crossing the road and then are those who dont even use the filter lanes provided and stop on the actual road/carriageway waiting to turn right. It will effect a lot of people (including me) but for a safety point of view i thinks its necessary and besides once its finished and people have no choice but to take detours or travel a bit further there will be no more about it and people will just get on with it.

CJC999 wrote: »
    I think a barrier is so badly needed along that road but not to prevent people coming from derry/ballybofey direction crossing to the dry arch station but to stop the mindless idiots coming out of the first exit of Clanree on a blind corner and crossing over to the other side to head towards derry. I travel into letterkenny from ballybofey direction every morning/day and the amount of times i've been met with some mindless idiot exiting the hotel is frightening.

I can however see how businesses and individuals will be upset at it and especially those living up the cullion road who will now have to go out as far as the dry arch roundabout and come all the way back in.

I can also see Shapla restaurant suffering badly as the majority of their business comes from the town direction and having to travel out as far as the dry arch now may put punters off and send them elsewhere.

However given all the arguments i am in agreement with a barrier being erected down the centre, there are far too many people taking stupid risks crossing the road and then are those who dont even use the filter lanes provided and stop on the actual road/carriageway waiting to turn right. It will effect a lot of people (including me) but for a safety point of view i thinks its necessary and besides once its finished and people have no choice but to take detours or travel a bit further there will be no more about it and people will just get on with it.

i agree completely up until the end, it DOES mean closure for some businesses, mainly the Dry Arch service station. i also see people making stupid mistakes everyday as i travel that road every day and your right people dont use the filter lanes properly, but if the barrier was properly done they would have to use the filter lanes properly, or end up in the barrier. crossing two lanes is perfectly safe, i do it every day, crossing four lanes is just not acceptable so if they did the barrier properly they can stop people crossing all lanes and still have safe filter lanes.

Hmmm.

yes i did copy and paste that! its a good argument!

Re the bit in bold, as far as i know that is the only road that will still have a turn off, all the other roads won't have one.

On the arguement on will the business / won't the business close as a direct result of the new barrier I will eat my hat if it does! Its pretty much a pointless arguement, saying they get 50% of their business by means of people crossing the road on their way into the town I cannot see that.

Fact is people tend to go to whichever place is handier, I tend to go to Martin's because its handy to get in and out of with it being on the roundabout but have used both other shops / petrol stations at the dry arch if its handier to do so.

Re the bit in bold, as far as i know that is the only road that will still have a turn off, all the other roads won't have one.

i've seen the proposed map, they will not include the turn off for the cullion road, which does mean, HGV'S will no longer be able to turn up it, they will have to enter either from Lurgybrack or Lower Dromore.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Well there ya go....I have travelled in and out that road all my life and have only ever came across accidents at the cullion road junction. I know there have been others but the cullion road junction seems to be the one place i would have thought SHOULD have been closed off as its a ridiculous junction.

But anyway i agree that the Dry Arch wont close because of the barrier, i'd guesstimate their business crossing the road at maybe 20-25% and even with a barrier if people want to specifically get fuel or whatever then they will travel as far as the port bridge and come back out again. I however wouldnt be bothered and will use Martins or the Esso place on the inward bound lane.

I however wouldnt be bothered and will use Martins or the Esso place on the inward bound lane.

point made then, some business lost already :p

• Registered Users Posts: 29 martblue

To be honest its about time that road was sorted out, been saying it for years. whats the hardship in going up and around the roundabout?? You see these type of barriers in many other towns/cities, specially in the uk. That barrier should have been built when they updated the road in the first place. They had a temporary one in place when the fleadh cheoil was on and it worked fine. As for the business's loosing out dont think it will make much difference to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

It will be possible to cross over to head up the Cullion Road, not sure about Shapla though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 92 DL SAM

Ye canney please everywaaaan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

always thought that speed was the biggest issue on that stretch.

100kph always seems too fast here as there are so many exits/entrances on both sides of the road.

just as well there aren't too many walkers there as it's suicidal to cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

ootbitb wrote: »
    always thought that speed was the biggest issue on that stretch.

100kph always seems too fast here as there are so many exits/entrances on both sides of the road.

just as well there aren't too many walkers there as it's suicidal to cross.

try venturing out there on a bike! nightmare!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

I read in The Donegal News recently that this barrier will not now go ahead. The local elected representatives (bar one) voted against it.

In the short term this will mean no employment constructing the barrier and in the long term it will lead to road safety issues, although it is now proposed to reduce the speed limit on this road. I think it will be hard to reduce and enforce a 60kph limit on this stretch of road and could also restrict the free flow of traffic on a particularly busy road. Perhaps 80 kph would be more suitable.

I would have thought that we (the people) elected local representatives to represent all of the people rather than just the business owners!
    An independent survey would need to be carried out to see if the customer base of the various businesses involved would no longer use said businesses because they could not cross the road. I honestly do not think the barrier would make any difference as most of the businesses are not reliant on a passing trade. For example, if you are heading to Mr. Windscreen, its unlikely you will continue on to the next windscreen centre because you cannot cross the road! The only business it might affect would be the Dry Arch Filling Station. However, on a busy road like this, I think most people will go for the filling station that is most convienent!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

yourpics wrote: »
    I would have thought that we (the people) elected local representatives to represent all of the people rather than just the business owners!

well theres your problem

The 60kph limit seemed like the most sensible compromise (though knowing the way these things go, somebody will object to that and ultimately everything will be left as it originally was)

The point the NRA seemed to make was that the alternative suggestions were fine, it's just nobody raised an objection or came up with an alternative till they had gone completely down the barrier route. I don't know how true that is. It does seem pretty ridiculous for the County - Planners and Councillors - to be continually flip-flopping on pretty serious decisions. Is there no analysis done to justify these decisions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭The Outside Agency

It should never have been constructed in the first place.

Who approved the construction of a petrol station right beside a round about?? :confused:

nivekd wrote: »
    It should never have been constructed in the first place.

Who approved the construction of a petrol station right beside a round about?? :confused:

Which was there first though? The roundabout or the petrol station / pub / shop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

Think the Dry arch pub is there a long long long time

Advertisement