Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road barrier threatens future of 22 jobs in LK

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Which was there first though? The roundabout or the petrol station / pub / shop?

The hotel (then known as The Three Ways Motel) was there before the roundabout anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

yourpics wrote: »
    ...although it is now proposed to reduce the speed limit on this road. I think it will be hard to reduce and enforce a 60kph limit on this stretch of road and could also restrict the free flow of traffic on a particularly busy road. Perhaps 80 kph would be more suitable.

I agree...without speed bumps/traffic calming islands or speed cameras then there is no way of enforcing a 60kph speed limit. They'll throw up a load of signs and expect people to obey them which wont happen.

I honestly dont see why they want to reduce the speed limit on the road, there are very very few speed related accidents on that stretch, accident that i know about are as a result of people crossing the road.

IMO because they have now shelved the barrier then they also need to scrap the idea of lowering the speed limit, it will achieve nothing and create more conjection at the roundabouts and junctions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭The Outside Agency

Which was there first though? The roundabout or the petrol station / pub / shop?

The dry arch pub was there alright but the access road was far enough away from the roundabout...I don't remember any shop being there (except for last one on left before entering dual carriage way to derry) until the petrol station was constructed.

The station in question was definitely built after the roundabout because it seemed odd to me at the time being so close to the existing station there since the 80s.

I could provide anecdotal evidence why the construction was approved but it's against the forum rules.

nivekd wrote: »

I could provide anecdotal evidence why the construction was approved but it's against the forum rules.

Can you PM it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

CJC999, your post makes very little sense - to me anyway.
    CJC999 wrote: »
    I agree...without speed bumps/traffic calming islands or speed cameras then there is no way of enforcing a 60kph speed limit. They'll throw up a load of signs and expect people to obey them which wont happen.
    It's very easy to enforce a 60K speed limit. Slap the mobile speed camera there for a couple of days and people will get the message pretty quickly.
    I honestly dont see why they want to reduce the speed limit on the road, there are very very few speed related accidents on that stretch, accident that i know about are as a result of people crossing the road.
    So they should place a barrier to stop people doing so? Or reduce the speed limit in recognition that it's a commercial/residential area?

Pick one.
    IMO because they have now shelved the barrier then they also need to scrap the idea of lowering the speed limit, it will achieve nothing and create more conjection at the roundabouts and junctions.
    If safety is an issue then you have to do one OR the other. They were never going to reduce the limit AND build a barrier.

• Advertisement

...without speed bumps

Speed bumps are a disaster for regulating traffic flow, some people fly over them like they are driving in a rally, others creep over them, others mount low points on the footpath to avoid them.
    They are a bit like an inverted pothole! The worst thing is if you are driving over them carefully and someone is tailgating or even attempts to pass you :mad:

The introduction of speed bumps on an open road like the one in question would hinder traffic flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

GetWithIt wrote: »
    CJC999, your post makes very little sense - to me anyway.

It's very easy to enforce a 60K speed limit. Slap the mobile speed camera there for a couple of days and people will get the message pretty quickly.

Maybe you should read it again....I did say that speed cameras are needed if they want to reduce the speed of cars! Speed camera vans only work when theyre there, theyre not a permanent solution and they cant be there all the time.
    GetWithIt wrote: »

So they should place a barrier to stop people doing so? Or reduce the speed limit in recognition that it's a commercial/residential area?

Pick one.

If safety is an issue then you have to do one OR the other. They were never going to reduce the limit AND build a barrier.

As far as i know the plan was to build a barrier AND reduce the speed limit, if you can point out where its said this wasn't the case then i will stand corrected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Maybe you should read it again....I did say that speed cameras are needed if they want to reduce the speed of cars! Speed camera vans only work when theyre there, theyre not a permanent solution and they cant be there all the time.

In fairness when I first read your post I thought the same thing as GetWithIt.... guess the 2 of us just misread it :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 CathySpark

I work down the road going to Tinney Oils and often come out of the top of that road onto the main road, go round the roundabout and head back into the town. I am always amazed at the number of people that try to turn straight back into the town across the four lanes of traffic.

I know a barrier would stop this but I still dont think jobs should be risked just because some people are too daft to obey the rules of the road. Put cameras up for speeding and at main junctions and it would soon stop and the jobs of people who obey the rules of the road would not be at risk.

CathySpark wrote: »
    I know a barrier would stop this but I still dont think jobs should be risked just because some people are too daft to obey the rules of the road. Put cameras up for speeding and at main junctions and it would soon stop and the jobs of people who obey the rules of the road would not be at risk.

But will jobs be risked?? An independent survey of the various customer bases would need to be carried out to determine this.
    Very few of the businesses affected rely on a passing trade ie if you are going to buy a lawnmower from Robert Kee an extra bit of driving around the roundabout isn't going to force you to go to the next garden machinery place!
    What about the potential construction jobs lost?

• Advertisement
Advertisement