Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due April/May 2012 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Shuwaaah

Cadyboo wrote: »
    [

I pick and choose bits of everyones birth and am like, yeah Ill have that but I dont want that!! :D My oh hides behind the paper or laptop so Id say he will be a great help to me on the day, lol.

Painfully so .....I couldn't stand her! She said that there had been times when people threw things at her did she not wonder why?? :eek:

Anyway girls I am like a big blob of swelling.... my feet and ankles are disgusting:( Had to buy new cheap flat shoes in a bigger size as none of my own fit me.:(:o

I'm the same. I'm always telling my mum about it and last night she finally watched it and I got a phone call from her about 10 minutes in wondering HOW I could watch that, and how I should watch something funny instead and how I shouldn't be subjecting myself to that. I think its good though, for every hard birth there seems to be an easy one and its really opened my eyes to the different things that can happen. Also, if you think you're having a hard birth, if you've seen a worse one on the telly you can remind yourself that some people are worse off than you (this is what I keep telling myself. When I'm in labour god knows what I'll be like, everyone expects me to be a drama queen so I hope to prove them wrong) ;)

I hope I'm not like one of the ones who takes stuff out on the midwives, cursing at them and whatnot. I know they've probably heard it all hundreds of times before but I'd feel terrible!

Sorry to hear about the swelling, but look on the bright side.....an excuse to buy new shoes :D I live in a pair of penney's ugg boots and they're quite roomy, so hadn't noticed any swelling in my feet....then I put on a nice pair of pumps I bought a few weeks ago and although they still fitted, my feet looked horrible in them, not swollen, jusst a bit puffy or something. And I had serious toe cleavage going on. Grrr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Hi all. I watch one born every min also and always feel my heart racing but at least i'll have an idea what to expect. Tend to get a bit teary eyed watching it dow.
    I am 34+4 and have only had the one hospital scan . Had private 3d. Was told that wont have another unless there is a problem. But at every hosp appointment i get to see the midwife (who checks weight, bp, urine and has bit of chat) then consultant measures bump and uses dopler. Would like a scan but cant complain compared to some of you.

I still have 3 weeks work left and feeling very tired. Was wondering how many weeks maternit leave are any of ye taken before your due date. I'm only taking the 2 weeks but considering bringing my maternity leave forward if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Have to say watching One Born Every Minute doesn't phase me though I usually get a bit teary eyed when the babies arrive. I don't know if it's the hyponobirthing CDs or the complete ignorance of someone who doesn't realise what exactly is coming but I'm prepared to let what will be be......famous last words!!!! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

Lol... I watch that show too but skip to the moment where the baby comes out and the parents cry and all is good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Suucee I'm taking 2 weeks before + 1 weeks holiday so going to finish up 3 weeks in advance.
    I was going to wait til the 2 weeks before but too tired already!

I don't mind one born at all, if anything it helps remind me that the actual business end of labour is pretty fast when you think of it.
    If you can manage the pain in the early labour stage/distract yourself from it, then the pushing bit/heavy contractions is never really that long. (don't anyone dare burst my bubble by saying they edit it shorter for tv :o)

One thing I did watch before labour last time & really regretted was a medical clip on youtube of a woman giving birth.
    I really wish I hadn't seen the 'business' end of things, lets face it, it's not like I'm going to see my own when I'm in labour :D
    It wasn't a case of being prude & seeing lady bits that freaked me at the time, but seeing how much they stretch to accommodate baba's exit :o
    I much prefer the way they blank out the lady bits on One born :)

I watched the American version of it the other night, one of the dad's dropped his mobile phone on his newborn baby when taking a first pic of her :eek: I'd flatten my husband if he did that!

Lol Cadyboo, I could understand only too well why someone would throw things at that midwife :pac:

Cherrycola sorry you weren't well, sounds like a better idea to stay at home and rest though. Nothing worse than being stuck in the hospital for hours when you're not feeling well.
    Hopefully you'll get over that dose soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

I took two weeks holidays and my maternity leave technically starts Monday. so that's four weeks before baby due. but i was doing an almost three hour round trip to work and was pretty buggered!!

Now i will say at times its been great but at times I've been bored. but on the up side, babies room is freshly painted and decorated. everything is put together. all clothes and bed clothes have been washed. my house is SPOTLESS and i HATE cleaning with a passion. i even cleaned the toilets today and if my memory serves me correctly i don't think I've ever done that before Haha

tomorrow im meeting a friend for lunch, which i feel will be my last big outing on my own as im starting to get wary of leaving the house on my own. i even made him come to tesco with me earlier in the week in case i popped! I may be getting ahead of my self with two weeks to go but sure what harm!!!

Hope your all doing well.. is tomorrow last day of work for anyone???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

My wife is due May 3rd on our first. Its gone well so far, though she's starting to feel fed up now! Last couple of weeks have been pretty stressful for her too. She's working, in college, and we just moved house! I've got a surprise weekend away planned tomorrow for a bit of well deserved R&R for her.
    I watched the American version of it the other night, one of the dad's dropped his mobile phone on his newborn baby when taking a first pic of her :eek: I'd flatten my husband if he did that!

We both love watching One Born, its fascinating. This week was the first week I'd seen the US version too and it was absolutely hilarious. I was in tears laughing at the grandmother in that episode. Best little old lady ever! "She ain't comin' out yo ass, that's for damn sure!" ROFL.

And when the father drops the phone on the baby, he sort of quickly rubs her afterwards like he was buffing a dent in a car or something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Branoic wrote: »
    My wife is due May 3rd on our first. Its gone well so far, though she's starting to feel fed up now! Last couple of weeks have been pretty stressful for her too. She's working, in college, and we just moved house! I've got a surprise weekend away planned tomorrow for a bit of well deserved R&R for her.

We both love watching One Born, its fascinating. This week was the first week I'd seen the US version too and it was absolutely hilarious. I was in tears laughing at the grandmother in that episode. Best little old lady ever! "She ain't comin' out yo ass, that's for damn sure!" ROFL.

And when the father drops the phone on the baby, he sort of quickly rubs her afterwards like he was buffing a dent in a car or something!

Thats lovely you are taking her away for a surprise!!
    Oh the american version... Its really like the conveyor system. Everyone is lying on their back... epidural, baby out and all over.
    The phone dropping was very funny but like the above poster oh would be sooo dead:D

Branoic that's so lovely taking her away for a break! Sounds like it's been a hectic time, moving house, college & work, sound like a well earned break :eek:

Lol the grandmother was hilarious, I thought it gas the comments she was coming out with :D

staticdoor71 if you run out of house to clean you're more than welcome to come clean mine. Mine is the opposite of spotless right now :o
    I'm so jaded these days, I would love the energy to do a big burst of cleaning!

So excited, my lil sister has booked me a surprise private scan for Tuesday :) I had been anxious about the lack of scans in the hospital, so it'll be great to get the reassurance :)

Happy St. Patricks day all :) hope you are all enjoying the long weekend. I'm looking forward to a much needed lie in in the morning :pac:

Holy baby jebus ladies i thought i was in full blown labour earlier and a i could do was cry!!!

I had gone for a wee and was just getting into as lady like a position as you can with a baby on board to wipe. when i got an almightiful pain just above my right hip bone and down as far as my right knee.

It was 100% a pain like I've never had before. i pulled up me jocks and waddled into himself sayin "oh god oh god its time and we haven't even built the cot". To which he replied "f#ck. i need a shower. im not ready".
    Then i cried. but after walking around for a whilethe pain the went? Its still a little achey to the right of my pubic bone. but nothing half as bad since.
    Also baby has been very active since and id swear i can feel it moving in my lady parts.

Does it hurt when the head drops?? Or was that one of those braxton hicks??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

I can't say much staticdoor,i was in hospital earlier getting a trace done as i was getting contractions (just 36 wks). They were showing on the trace so def contractions and i could feel my stomach and uterus clenching iykwim but not labour painful..The midwife examined me and my cervix is closed and still long and head not engaged so not full blown labour.They were going to keep me in but luckily i persuaded them to let me home :) My symptoms started with cramps when i walked and pains down my inner thighs,just going to have to take it easy for the next while! I still have the hospital band on in case i had to go back in but contractions have really eased and i got some sleep so think i'll be grand :) Think the hip pain is baby settling into place! Do you find you're breathing a lot easier in the last few days?

Holy baby jebus ladies i thought i was in full blown labour earlier and a i could do was cry!!!

I had gone for a wee and was just getting into as lady like a position as you can with a baby on board to wipe. when i got an almightiful pain just above my right hip bone and down as far as my right knee.

It was 100% a pain like I've never had before. i pulled up me jocks and waddled into himself sayin "oh god oh god its time and we haven't even built the cot". To which he replied "f#ck. i need a shower. im not ready".
    Then i cried. but after walking around for a whilethe pain the went? Its still a little achey to the right of my pubic bone. but nothing half as bad since.
    Also baby has been very active since and id swear i can feel it moving in my lady parts.

Does it hurt when the head drops?? Or was that one of those braxton hicks??

I had something similar during the week, head had been engaged and when it was, I was forever getting pains right in the middle of my pelvis the whole time, and the occasional flutter in the lady bits. And also had the waddle walk and had to be careful getting out of bed.
    Then all those aches and pains went for a few days, but then I started getting the odd really sharp pain in the right side of my hip and down my leg. Now im getting pains in the middle again and going to the bathroom constantly and finding it hard to manoeuvre myself out of the bed, so im thinking the baby came out of engagement and the pain in my side was baby on the way down again. (im just speculating though, I've a check up in hosp on Wednesday so ill ask then).

If it keeps happening and its seriously painful, id ring the Gp or midwife. Doesn't hurt to check everythings ok :-)

angelll wrote: »
    I can't say much staticdoor,i was in hospital earlier getting a trace done as i was getting contractions (just 36 wks). They were showing on the trace so def contractions and i could feel my stomach and uterus clenching iykwim but not labour painful..The midwife examined me and my cervix is closed and still long and head not engaged so not full blown labour.They were going to keep me in but luckily i persuaded them to let me home :) My symptoms started with cramps when i walked and pains down my inner thighs,just going to have to take it easy for the next while! I still have the hospital band on in case i had to go back in but contractions have really eased and i got some sleep so think i'll be grand :) Think the hip pain is baby settling into place! Do you find you're breathing a lot easier in the last few days?

Were they really strong braxton hicks or the scary contractions? Glad to hear all is ok, hope you've someone at home to fuss over you :-)

Thanks ladies. i have a check up tomorrow with my gp so ill mention it to him.
    Not feeling to bad today just very heavy in my pelvis.
    On one hand i hope its baby engaging on the other important 38+1 today and would be just as happy if it were the real thing.
    Think it is just about time to get this show on the road.
    God we are all so frickin close to the finish line woohooo.
    We put our cot together this morning so panic stations are over and he's in the shower now haha so funny.
    Hope ye all have a lovely bank holiday. im off home to me dads to have a garage bbq with him sisters and their ohs! Its blowing a gale and lashing rain but what harm.

Enjoy ladies and thanks for being there x

I'm getting seriously jealous of all the action some of you ladies are getting, I haven't had much myself with only 11 days to go. Have a feeling I'm going to be paddy last meeting my bundle :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

They were contractions,the midwife said they were and they wanted to keep me in just in case but as soon as i heard about the head being high i wanted to go home as i just knew it wasn't 'it' iykwim. Turns out i was right,all good today,i'm drinking loads of water as i heard being dehydrated can cause contractions.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Any recommendations on a Steriliser and Breast pump?

I dont know if I should get a cheap pump until I see if I can breastfeed, and if so which one. Or if I do feed, what is a good one?

I got some bits and pieces for the hospital bag in boots, and starting to feel more organised. Got really tired in town though, guess the pregnancy tiredness is kicking in. But I cant complain - I've got off scott free so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

saggycaggy wrote: »
    What date are you due Cocoemma?? I'm 27 weeks on Friday-is it 28week for the third trimester?? I worked out I've 11weeks left at work, thats kinda scary and nobody orgainsed for cover yet-they can be a bit too laid back here!

hey saggycaggy..im replying to your question from a few weeks ago, im finding it difficult to come on in the evenings.. too tired!!!!!.. im due 25 May.. im in week 30.. cant wait... :D

Neyite I used the Avent electric steam steriliser last time & found it fine. Keep an eye out to see places doing it on special offer though, as when I was shopping for it I found it ranged in price from €39.99 - €89.99 for the exact same model :eek:
    I had picked it up at €49.99 before seeing it cheaper elsewhere. My sister picked one up as a spare to use in her home for €49.99 a few months later, but at the time that included a set of bottles too.

I'm going to get a microwave steriliser this time (for *just in case* things don't work out with breastfeeding & also as I know I'll still need to sterilise soothers etc).
    The cheapest I've come across it looking online tonight it Smyths toystore (www.toys.ie) for €15.99 (was €32.99 on some other Irish sites)
    http://www.toys.ie/Avent-Microwave-Steam-Steriliser-!104950-prd.aspx?qwSessionID=acb2ca3c-937f-40d7-8c64-078b0ca97f85

& they have a newborn bottle set which I'm going to get to have also as a just in case, its €12.49
    http://www.toys.ie/Avent-Newborn-Starter-Kit-!101100-prd.aspx?qwSessionID=ffb46ef5-c915-466c-b095-fc533d328c57

I'm not sure on breastpumps, I got a hospital grade one on a UK site though can't comment as to how good it is as I didn't use it much last time.

I was convinced I would be in hospital today, I haven't had many braxton hicks recently but had them really really strong all last night.
    They were regular, but not particularly strong so I didn't get my hopes us too much.
    When they woke me twice during the night though I did start to think it was the beginning of early labour.
    No such luck, not a peep out of baby today!

I also had a private scan booked for today, the company was supposed to ring me this morning to re-confirm the appointment. When they hadn't rang by 10:30am I called them only to be told that they don't do pregnancy ultrasounds :confused:
    This despite calling them first, booking it online & receiving an email confirmation :mad:

On the upside I have one booked with another place for tomorrow lunch time so looking forward to seeing baby :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Neyite wrote: »

I dont know if I should get a cheap pump until I see if I can breastfeed, and if so which one. Or if I do feed, what is a good one?

That's pretty much what I did - used a cheap pump to figure out if I could do the pumping and once I had that done, I used my B0ots vouchers (lead hints dropped to all and sundry) to buy an Med€la pump. I would have kicked myself if I had spent that much on something I would never use. Luckily, I got the use out of it.

I got a TT microwave steriliser - handy, cheap and does the job.You just arrange the bits, add water and pop on the microwave. I used it for bits of the pump, the odd bottle and dodies.

• Advertisement

Neyite wrote: »

I got some bits and pieces for the hospital bag in boots, and starting to feel more organised. Got really tired in town though, guess the pregnancy tiredness is kicking in. But I cant complain - I've got off scott free so far!

I got the TT Closer to nature microwave one for 13.49 in tesco, i also got two of the bottles for the same price. I have an avent electric one that was given to us by his friend who has four or five but im not sure can you really use a second hand one?? I dunno.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Thanks Ladies!
    I think I will go cheap with the steriliser - the microwave one sounds good - if I am successful breastfeeding then I'd only need it for the odd bottle that the expressed milk would be in or soothers and the like. Ditto for the pump: It would be more of an "in case" I need it, and like that, if I do BF successfully then I may upgrade if I want to give my milk after I return to work or whatever.

My sister used to get her hubby to do the 11pm feed, so it meant that she could go to bed with baby after the 8/9pm feed and get a good stretch of sleep until the 3/4am one (this was when hers was a little older than newborn) but I like the idea of Dad having that little bit of bonding time with Junior, and also baby gets used to the odd bottle, so its not totally alien to him/her if for any reason we needed to switch to bottles in a hurry.

I got a present of an Advent 3in1 electric steam sterillser. Haven't used it yet but looks good. It adjusts to 3 different sizes - small for just soothers, teethers etc., medium for bottles & large for breast pumps.
    Bought the Medela mini electric breast pump, it was reduced from almost €80 to €20 a couple of months back so I snapped it up. Didn't want to spend too much as I don't know how BFing will go.

I was back with my midwife this morning, babs is really far down though only 3/5 engaged. I'm back with the midwife next week & if nothing has happened by the following week she'll do a sweep. Hearing that today is making it all feel v.real all of a sudden ;-)
    Going to go out tomorrow & invest in a birthing ball to get this little guys head in place & hopefully it will help during early labour too!

My sister used to get her hubby to do the 11pm feed, so it meant that she could go to bed with baby after the 8/9pm feed and get a good stretch of sleep until the 3/4am one (this was when hers was a little older than newborn) but I like the idea of Dad having that little bit of bonding time with Junior, and also baby gets used to the odd bottle, so its not totally alien to him/her if for any reason we needed to switch to bottles in a hurry.[/QUOTE]

My OH actually suggested this also so sounds like good plan. I got a avent electric steriliser in dunnes before xmas reduced to 29.99. then got TT closer to nature starter kit with manual breast pump, 6 bottles, breast milk containers, breast pads etc. Also got this at a reduced price online of approx 32.00.
    Finishing work on friday, cant wait, so tired, cant get comfortable at all at night. I'm nearly 36 weeks and lil woman is still breech hopefully she will turn soon. Started getting braxton hicks sun night. thought she was turning. tummy went hard and all didnt know what was happening but seems no such luck.
    I thought as baby got bigger there would be less movement but my lil woman seems to be flat out alot. And can be pretty uncomfortable by times. Was in a meeting in work today and seen a male collegue giving my tummy a funny luck when she was moving around. Was funny as he didnt know where to look when he noticed i say him.
    Hope all are keeping well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Georgeee

well whats the craic wit everyone! just a random question for all of ye! babog's is due in april, im the daddy by the way! what do ye think of double barrell surnames?? my oh is on this thread aswell so im sure she would be interested in the response! i thinks they're cool but i also think the kids name will be shortned to just one of the surnames eg brennan-feeney will in the end just become feeney. do ye agree?? sorry if is a bit off topic to what ye normally talk about but ye seem like a sensible crowd and i like some opinions before we decide to go ahead with it or not anyways hope ye are all keepin well:D

My nephew has a double barrelled surname however we never use the second surname just the first. The double barrell only really appears on anything offical like a passport etc. so I don't really see the point in him having the two names but I suppose it would depend on how much you would use the entire surname or how important it was that your child had both names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭Play Bunny

i have the advent steriliser as well, nearly sorry i didnt get the microwave one at the time now, but no point me buying another , amazing how prices vary was going to get a btl warmer but not much point think ill be going down stairs to heat the btl as ive a 2yr old and dont want waking her while jnr wails for the bottle...

@ cap- how did ur scan go? are you any the wiser on the sex?....

just found out my bro's g/f is having a little boy and there is approx 9wks in the difference so should be an "interesting yr baby wise, happy days" :D

Hey just noticed argos have offer on TT microwave sterliser for 12.49 and 6 pack bottles for 12.49. looks like good deals.

Play Bunny wrote: »
    i have the advent steriliser as well, nearly sorry i didnt get the microwave one at the time now, but no point me buying another , amazing how prices vary was going to get a btl warmer but not much point think ill be going down stairs to heat the btl as ive a 2yr old and dont want waking her while jnr wails for the bottle...

@ cap- how did ur scan go? are you any the wiser on the sex?....

just found out my bro's g/f is having a little boy and there is approx 9wks in the difference so should be an "interesting yr baby wise, happy days" :D

Scan went great thanks Play Bunny :) Finally found out the sex! a little boy :) All is looking well/healthy, so it was well worth the scan for peace of mind.

The only thing that freaks me out slight is that baby is already weighing in at 6lbs 6ozs. Considering I've another 4 weeks to go (6 if I go over like with my daughter) and baby's are supposed to gain .5 - 1lb per week, this could be a little bruiser of a baby :eek:

That's so lovely that your bro is having a baby roughly the same time as you too :)

Georgeee it's not something I've come across a lot recently double barrelled surnames. I think if they were particularly long names and it was a bit of a mouthful then people might tend to use the first name only, though if that is what you name baby and people don't use it I'd find it a bit rude!

Suucee you lucky thing finishing up work tomorrow! my last day is next Friday, can't come soon enough!! I'm like a beached whale the size of me and developing a particularly fetching waddle when I walk :)
    That's great value for those Tommee Tippee bottles & steriliser.

Ms2011 that's brill knowing you're getting the sweep next week! wow so exciting knowing you could have baby in your arms this time next week or shortly after!

Neyite that's a great idea with the feeds, I must train my other half to do that when baby arrives. I'm so exhausted these days before baby arrives, I can only imagine how exhausted when I'm going to be up half the night feeding a new baby :eek:

• Advertisement

Holy zeuses butthole. as of tomorrow Im due in 9 days. that's SINGLE DIGITS!!!!!

Im scared now!!

Advertisement