Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Inordinate amount of road resurfacing in Dublin lately

• 04-09-2011 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Not that I'm complaining but anyone else noticed this?

Also, it's not just a 30 or 40mm layer! They are scraping off up to 8 inches in places, removing the old materials, and then resurfacing!

I know we had some bad winters and roads are a mess but at the same time I thought the state was broke?!?

Could it be the case that councils / departments have to spend to ensure futures budgets??!!

Also it all looks like good work and keeps people employed but don't services like gas etc always come along soon after and dig up again anyway?!? ;-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Could it be the case that councils / departments have to spend to ensure futures budgets??!!
    That's what I reckon. Some nice new patches on some back roads, but others still in a state. The better question might be are the roads being fixed where he who complains loudest resides/travels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Theyve put in a pedestrian crossing on the belgard road where there is another one 100 m up the road. Totally unecessary location but hey if it burns 50-100K who cares !! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭markpb

I can't find it now but there was a notice on the DCC website a few weeks ago about the annual road surface improvement project. Apparently each year they take the busiest/worst roads in the city and resurface them over a six week period. That's what's going on right now.

Edit: found it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I've noticed this myself and was only talking about it yesterday. I thought that the councils said that they specifically didn't have enough money for fixing roads. Maybe that was councils outside of Dublin though.

That said, it's amazing what a new surface feels like. It really feels like it puts more go in my legs and I can turn a higher gear. It really shows up how poor other sections of road are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

markpb wrote: »
    Dublin City Council are not the state. Only a fraction of their budget comes from the central government budget.

The council is also broke.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I guess we're getting towards the end of the financial year

I also suspect that there's a bit more resource available to maintain the existing infrastructure now the country has cut back on new road building

It probably also makes sense economically - the current state of the roads must be doing a lot of damage to motor vehicles (and well as cyclists and their bikes;)) and there reaches a point where it's cheaper to the economy in the long term to effect the repairs than suffer the ongoing damage (they will have to be repaired at some stage anyway). It's also quite labour intensive, and hence supports employment

It's definitely an improvement on some of the work done earlier in the year, where another cold winter s likely to undo a lot of the dodgy repairs undertaken

My only gripe is they seem to replace the surface in some areas (where admitedly the road is in a poor state), but then can leave an adjacent piece of road that's actually in worse condition - there are some examples of this on my commute - hopefully ther rest will be done in the non too distant future

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Ghost_of_ED209

Is it anything to do with Dublin hosting some Formula 1 event? Those cars need a seriously good surface to drive on..

http://www.ireland.com/news/dublin-to-host-to-formula-one-event/614889

Maybe they're getting a head start on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Is it anything to do with Dublin hosting some Formula 1 event? Those cars need a seriously good surface to drive on..

http://www.ireland.com/news/dublin-to-host-to-formula-one-event/614889

Maybe they're getting a head start on it..

Don't think that's coming my way but they still resurfacing out here.

BTW will be interesting to see if work needed on the roads in question for that event, given Bavaria are sponsoring and it's only a demonstration event (NOT A RACE :)), will the Corpo splurge on it?!?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

It's extra funding from the NTA.

They council can only spend the money on an approved list of roads.

The main stated aim was to improve public transport routes (but in most cases the whole carrageway is included) and some of the work is being done along side QBC upgrades.

A lot of the roads I know which are been done really needed it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Also -- there's a limited time frame where this work is done before the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

They've doe a lot of the back roads in NCD all right. It does seem a bit random though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

While the thread is about Dublin it raises points (budget stuffing) that are valid countrywide.

I have come across 2 completely unnecessary road surfacing projects recently.
    (1) a few months back on holidays in Slea Head I went for a cycle around the peninsula. Road surface is lovely. The following day when driving the kids to the beach the council were resurfacing a stretch of road that was IMHO far fro
    Deserving of resurfacing.
    (2) one of my regular training spins takes me up Molls Gap and onto Sneem. The road surface is as good as it gets in Kerry. Last Wednesday I was cycling from Molls Gap to Sneem - a very large section of previously fine road was completely resurfaced.

I am not at all against resurfacing. But where I live there are some shocking road surfaces. So to be resurfacing fine road is a complete waste IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Emmet Road and the southern quays in Dublin have been resurfaced. They really needed it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Several stretches of my commute (Sandyford --> UCD -->Town --> Tallaght --> back again) have been redone in the last fortnight and seemingly for no reason. They resurfaced at junctions which were in good condition but left the badly damaged stretches only 20 metres away alone, not impressed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

They were resurfacing the entire bus lane from Donnybrokk up to the junction at Nutley Lane last night. For anyone who cycles there, you should know this was in mint condition as far as Irish roads go, pity they couldn't have actually bothered resurfacing some of the roads joining onto it which are in woeful condition (Angelsea road etc.).

It's all a bit disgusting considering all their griping about saving money and they are throwing it away on pointless tat like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Wicklow co. council are at it as well. Mostly throwing gravel on the road really, but main roads like the N81 have been repaired, including Blessington main street, finally.

I'm very disappointed that Rathmines isn't on the list posted above though. Place is in a complete state. Rathmines and Rathgar roads are more urgently in need of repair than the Templogue Road. But then, there are a number of co. councillors living off the templeogue road. I doubt many of them live in Rathmines.

Yeah I noticed a chunk resurfaced on the North Quays near Butt Bridge. Also noticed a nice 'cycle lane is closed' sign before I got near it which is interesting as the road markings showing the on-road lane have just been laid over with new tarmac and then restarts maybe 100m east.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ITB

Rathmines and Rathgar roads are more urgently in need of repair

I'd second that. The Rathgar - Rathmines - Town route is a disgrace and as one of the most heavily used bicycle routes it is in need of urgent repair.

They're also undertaking fairly extensive road resurfacing on Cromwellsfort Road; from the Ashleaf to the Walkinstown Roundabout.

Don't know where they're getting the funding but I hope they're receiving some of it from private firms who rip up the roads when putting down services and then throw some tarmac over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

I have an idea.

Any experts know if there is any free web based software that could allow contributors to map the recently resurfaced roads in the Dublin area, showing extent and approx date of work.

Would make interesting viewing.

Anyone here good with Google Fusion - would that do the trick?

Advertisement